• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When you improvise...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: When you improvise... Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-13 20:04, dbacon wrote:

You don't have to play every chord change!

Dave Bacon

Chord changes?? I don't even pay attention to those funky looking letters. Just go with the flow man. It's allot easier that way

[ This Message was edited by: trjeam on 2002-07-15 10:11 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't HAVE to play all the changes you can be allowed to stray.... but when it counts you better be inside or people won't think you know what your doing, and people will completly discredit your playing.
Could we agree on that?
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 17:29 ]
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-14 23:36, Quadruple C wrote:
Well a great player will play what someone wants to hear and what they have never heard before. I think the problem with the "jazz community" as a collective is they do not take enough chances, not too many. This has directly to do with wanting to think someone else thinks you know what you are doing. You either know what you are doing or you don't. I see too many players trying to please the politicians of the music business instead of following their hearts and minds to find their own sound and way of expression, no matter what. This is liberating and this is freedom, what the music is all about, not what someone wants you to sound like because they can't hear it. The reason a lot of people do not play this way is because it takes a lot courage, not that people aren't cool and don't have courage, but sometimes you have to go against the grain and not worry if so and so thinks you know what you are doing. If people can't hear what you are doing that is their problem not yours. People have to come to the art, not the other way around. David

I am trying to make a living too though and have to give the people want they want or I don't get hired to come back to the club. Quad C, I get so few chances to play how I really want to play and what I really want to play it's sad. When I'm out in public with my group, I play my own songs and everything but can't let things go how I want because people don't want to hear that, they want to hear the Cliff Brown sound alike and in return thats what I play because more people in turn end up saying "that kid can play, when's his group playing again?" and I get booked for another month. I just mean there aren't enough venues that let artist play what they want...it's all about profits. The "jazz community" doesn't help to promote growth and innovation yet they all bitch about how nothing's changed and nothings growing and how the public isn't receptive to jazz....if I were a listener why would I be interested in a stale art?
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am trying to make a living too though and have to give the people want they want or I don't get hired to come back to the club. Quad C, I get so few chances to play how I really want to play and what I really want to play it's sad. When I'm out in public with my group, I play my own songs and everything but can't let things go how I want because people don't want to hear that, they want to hear the Cliff Brown sound alike and in return thats what I play because more people in turn end up saying "that kid can play, when's his group playing again?" and I get booked for another month. I just mean there aren't enough venues that let artist play what they want...it's all about profits. The "jazz community" doesn't help to promote growth and innovation yet they all bitch about how nothing's changed and nothings growing and how the public isn't receptive to jazz....if I were a listener why would I be interested in a stale art?

From Gene Lees "You Can't Steal A Gift"....

The theme-and-variations form is old and elemental. But it makes possible most of what we call jazz, for there is no other way to set up a comprehensible framework within which the musician can make his statement. It is, however, the implicit limitation of jazz, and many a musician has writhed in its confines. Yet throw it out, embrace "free jazz," and you abandon the lingua franca audiences can comprehend and lose financial support the artist must have to continue developing. Abandon that and get in line for the doles of fellowships and grants and other supports for hothouse art unable to withstand the touch of even the most benign natural breeze. Art that does not communicate isn't art at all, for the act is completed only in the reception and response of an "audience". All else in mirror gazing.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 17:30 ]
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quad, I don't feel so alone now, I think part of my problem is also that I live in a part of the country that is culturally illiterate, I'm 21 I’m almost out of school and soon with in a few years I will be in NYC where my creativity will be smiled upon and embraced by club owners and musicians instead of looked down on.....at least I hope so, I hope so.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 17:30 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: