• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazz Improvisation, Jamey Aebersold

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many would find this thread valuable to them?
I would!! Please keep posting...
93%
 93%  [ 722 ]
I'm sure sombody else would...
6%
 6%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 773

arran01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Help with Track 3 Reply with quote

Can I ask a silly boy question please?

In relation to Track 3 the thread states,

'[i]It's identical to Track 2
except that each chord/scale last for 4 measures each, instead of 8.'

I have played this over numerous times. It is probably me but no matter how I count this I cannot get it to end after 96 bars/measures, but it seems to go onto about 109.

Is it me, or does it change.
My timing is my weak point I'm working on, but I can't get this as a 96 bar excerpt with a chord flourish at the end.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Tom is finished now? It's been a long while since his last post.

I've just started from the beginning and am going to make this my religion for the next few years I think! hahaha Great stuff. Thanks so much!
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had alot of things going on in my life the last couple of years. I do plan on continuing this thread for many more lessons (probably about fifty more). These will be lessons for the very advanced. I haven't had anyone write me yet saying they've caught up to this point, though I'm sure some folks have... I WILL be back soon.

I'm currently gearing up to sell off most of my private collection of trumpets, flumpet and flugelhorns... a collection I'm told is one of the largest in the world. People can see me in the marketplace and on Ebay soon, or feel free to private message me if you have a particular "dream horn" in mind. I probably have it. I'll be checking my messages! Later...

Tom in Texas
jesscarltonjazz@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Restriction Practice Reply with quote

Obviously as there is no human interaction when playing with aebersolds it can be very difficult to get into it.. but the best thin I found is that Aebersolds are very good for restrictive improvisation practice.. so playing through tunes with certain restrictions each time (ie. only playing certain substitutions, only starting on an offbeat, etc...)
adwardrob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: aperciation Reply with quote

heyyy!!!
i lyk it.. good one!!

alexstrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Aebersold Reply with quote

My teacher has always said to avoid Aebersolds where possible. Although I think they are fantastic for introducing us to new music and chord progressions, we lose a lot of freedom by not having a live pianist. As a result, we learn how to play for example the Aebersold 'Autumn Leaves' as oppose to the jazz standard 'Autumn Leaves'. I also practise playing each chord in a set of changes with the sustain pedal on the piano pressed, and experiment with notes and patterns that fit this chord. This opens up our ears.
-Marcinkiewicz Shew Flugel Mouthpiece
Besson Sovereign Cornet
-Yamaha David King Signature Mouthpiece
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I learned a lot!
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex (two posts up),

Its true that live human rhythm sections are better for learning many aspects of jazz... but very few people have access to a group they can jam and study with all the time. For most people live jam sessions are infrequent. One great thing about high quality background tracks like Aebersold's is that anyone can get these CDs out anytime and really woodshed for an extended period of time on anything they want. A guy can have the musicians on these tracks as his "personal slaves" and use them to gain all the basic skills he'll need. These musicians never complain and they're always ready to "play that last one again". Even if you have the luxury of a live rhythms section at your becon call every hour of every day, you probably couldn't get that kind of cooperation. Having a philosophy that one should avoid Aebersolds or any similar educational tools is just silly. These CDs are a fantastic!
alexstrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Avoiding Aebersolds Reply with quote

Yes I completely agree that the CD's are great, and I use them regularly myself. I just also thought it was worth stressing the fact that it does you good to find other ways of learning progressions. For example playing a chord on the piano with the sustain pedal, and experimenting with different notes and patterns over the top
-Marcinkiewicz Shew Flugel Mouthpiece
Besson Sovereign Cornet
-Yamaha David King Signature Mouthpiece
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, I used Abersold play-along CDs regularly for years to work on playing changes to various tunes but rarely do now. My philosophy has changed somewhat. I still might use them occasionally, but 98+% of the time I prefer to work on playing changes without any accompaniment. If you can make it sound good alone you'll have very little trouble making it swing with a rhythm section. On the other hand, if it sounds like crap alone I garentee you it will still be sucking after you add that rhythm section to it.

Larry
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
...but 98+% of the time I prefer to work on playing changes without any accompaniment. If you can make it sound good alone you'll have very little trouble making it swing with a rhythm section.

Great advice.

I'm a big fan of the Aebersold play-alongs, and own several volumes. But I also like to play alone. It helps me to learn how to convey the chordal structure of the song as part of my solo.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you can make it sound good alone you'll have very little trouble making it swing with a rhythm section. On the other hand, if it sounds like crap alone I garentee you it will still be sucking after you add that rhythm section to it.

I don't think I understand...

So what you're saying is that if you can play and sound good, then you'll sound good. If you can't, then you wont... Seems a bit redundant, and doesn't really explain where the Aebersold recordings fit in to this?

Are you saying that you can sound good when playing along with the recordings and suck when playing with a live group? Nerves shouldn't be a factor etc as they could occur with either approach....

Are you saying there is a qualitative diference between practicing improv without accompaniment versus practicing with?

If so, could you expand a bit more?

With the practicing improv unaccompanied method, it is also quite possible to play something that sounds good, but wouldn't work with a rhythm section etc.

I think you need to give some more info about your thinking here.

Thanks!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:
Quote:
If you can make it sound good alone you'll have very little trouble making it swing with a rhythm section. On the other hand, if it sounds like crap alone I garentee you it will still be sucking after you add that rhythm section to it.

I don't think I understand...

So what you're saying is that if you can play and sound good, then you'll sound good. If you can't, then you wont...?

I think you need to give some more info about your thinking here.

Thanks!

Yeah, That's pretty much it.

Also, working out the changes alone has the added advantage of allowing you to control the tempo that one wants, one of the biggest disadvantages of pre-recored rhythm tracks.

Larry
kman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important of all the above;
Don't think, play. Let your ears, heart, soul and current emotions guide you.

I believe it was John Coltrane who said
"Learn it all then forget it"

Please correct me if that wasn't Coltrane, memories fuzzy, could be those Jazz cigarettes:)
Learn those scales though, they are sentences for speaking Jazz
mahorst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the first 2 JA books and started working in them. Looking forward to see if I can develop some improv skills.
Carol Brass CFL-6200-GSS-Bb-SL Flugelhorn
aluckyitalian

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome read. thanks
Kinkan1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Aebersold Reply with quote

The most remarkable aspect of the Aebersold clinic for me from the point of view of pedagogy was his initial approach of having the player simply scat to blues on piano. Just sing. It was revelatory to beginners who then easily began to adapt it to their own instruments.
mctrp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your generosity!!!
ahhbugger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Tom Reply with quote

Anyone out there happen to hear from Tom?
ejlynd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to see this thread has come to and end but it's a great resource. As a music teacher I'm planning to use a lot of this info. I knew some of this stuff already but I know my students will benefit from the different perspective!

Hope Tom makes it back on sometime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: