• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trpt Section on "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject: Trpt Section on "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" ?? Reply with quote

I recently found a super clean original mono vinyl copy of this and have really enjoyed it. I have tried to research the band (Nelson Riddle) but have not found anything. There is a partial photo on the cover and a slightly different one online but they didn't help me much.

I am thinking the solos are probably Don Fagerquist but I cannot place the lead player. It is not Gozzo. I did find an interview with Riddle talking about his band but it's from 1967 and was recorded in 1960 and I imagine there were changes.

Here's a link to the full photo:

https://sinatragallery.com/products/sinatras-swingin-session?variant=10240532420

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe Al Porcino
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Uan Rasey was Sinatras go to guy in the 60's for recordings etc and the guy 2nd from left in the red top could be him?

Eric
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the back of the album cover from one of the releases (which I found online), trumpets included Harry "Sweets" Edison and Clarence "Shorty" Sherock. The personnel list for the bonus track ("Night and Day") adds Conrad Gozzo and Vito "Mickey" Mangano to the other two (the bonus track was recorded four years earlier, in 1956). Both personnel lists finish with the phrase "among others." It's hard to guess exactly which musicians happened to be around when the photo was taken.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gozzo was Frank's lead player until he (Goz) passed in early '64. After that, Frank used Al Porcino and later in the '80's Charlie Turner and Tony Gorruso. There were others who backed up Sinatra playing lead including: Dave Stahl & Johnny Madrid
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the input!

Based only on the photo that the Sinatra Gallery is selling online as from the session, I would say it is not Sweets Edison or Conrad Gozzo in the section. From many stories I have heard they were Frank's "go to" guys for solo and lead work respectively which is why I was looking for input on this.

As I look more closely at the photo there may be an empty chair on the left of the section where I would expect a solo player (Sweets?) to be sitting so maybe he just stepped out! Some of the muted solos sure do sound like him.
And, yes, that could well be Uan Rasey second from the left.

Fagerquist was often a soloist for Nelson Riddle and that looks like it could be him on the far right in the photo.

Thanks again for the help!
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chase1973 wrote:
Gozzo was Frank's lead player until he (Goz) passed in early '64. After that, Frank used Al Porcino and later in the '80's Charlie Turner and Tony Gorruso. There were others who backed up Sinatra playing lead including: Dave Stahl & Johnny Madrid

I was at Berklee the same time as Tony Gorruso. Really good lead player. Plays pretty good jazz as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: