• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Above High E

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackJack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can easily play up to high E or high F, but not further. If I want to go up to G or A I have to squeeze and use a lot of pressure whereas E and F come effortless ... Why this? Any idea?

Thanks for all replies ... Stay sharp ...
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it just takes time for notes to come, patience. I couldn't play a double g and I just practiced playing high I played more in the upper register (of course it was proportioned by more playing in the other registers also) but the notes just came now I can play double Bbs and I can add the Double g to my performances.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Blackjack!

Lots of players get this feeling of a 'brick wall' at around high g, [4 legers] you got it a little earlier than some is all.

When you first encounter the problem it feels like your okay to high g [4 lines above] but then after that, the effort is enormous, the tone changes, and becomes more pinchy, and although you can Sqeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzee out a double C [or whatever] so you can tell all your mates, it feels kinda like having a falsetto range after high g does'nt it?

Here's why...

You basically get less and less help from the trumpet in the form of impedance/ feedback to you as a player [which helps to close the aperture a little] as you go higher. As you ascend the register then, it becomes a matter of how deft you are at keeping the mpc pressure down / air speed high and how efficient your lip vibrations are. High G is the cut off point for lots of people because this is the point on Bb trumpet where the production of sound is almost completely due to the the air/lip interaction.

You really are probably using too much pressure, so learn to play some of YOUR middle register stuff with less pressure, work on your endurance THEN your problem notes may come easier after a while of practicing in this manner.

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Greatest Trumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What works for me is to no think of "High" notes as any higher than the "Low" notes. This helps keep your high note open and clear.

"So live that you can look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell." -Anon
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT,

A great man once told me (You might be able to guess whom it is), "Never look up at high notes, always see them at eye level."
So simple, yet so true...
Guess whom said it yet?
The one and only Dr. Karl Sievers.
(If you've never met him, go to http://www.selmer.com and then to the "Trumpet Corner") He is a fantastic guy.

Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BlackJack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the kind replies ... I will keep on working on reduced pressure ... CU later ...
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: