• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: DB Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, I'm still learning... Another Dizzy quote I like, from a clinic long ago, is:

"May your horn be hot and your sound be cool!"
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few mornings ago I turned on the radio (WHRB Jazz Spectrum (streaming on whrb.com)) and there was this duet of trumpet and drum set, and I couldn't figure out who it was... Kinda sounded like Don Cherry but not him, (and the drumming was amazing!) but definatly a "primative" trumpeter (not classically influenced), soon they were doing Hot Peanuts with the trumpeter more implying the notes than hiting them, then the singing voice: it was Dizzy himself! They played the whole performance so I stayed tuned; turned out to be a duet of Dizzy and Max Roach in the late 80s in Paris. Dizzy was playing and implying chords and melodies I hadn't heard from him before; it was like semmi-classical/late romantic references with the usual Dizzy phrases thrown in. Without piano, he was free to do anything he wanted to. Made me think of Picasso's last works when he was in his 90s, kinda slopy but more interesting than his older style, a great artist making the MOST of fading technique. Finally UNlearning enough to get to the root of the matter. If I see this performance on CD, I'll buy it! Max Roach was simply unbeleavable, a polyrythmic groove-master. They didn't miss the piano.

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2002-07-19 10:36 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recording is "Max & Dizzy, Paris 1989" A&M CD6404. I'm not sure how you can get it, but that's what it is.

I think that the neat thing about guys like Diz and Maynard is that they just keep going. To retire for them would be to quit living and loving life. (of course Diz passed away in 1993)

I'll have to make a point to find and listen to this recording. Thanks for the tip pfrank!

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2002-07-19 10:04 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: