• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SOUND

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Callet_rulz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many months of struggle trying to 'correct' my embouchure, I have had the pleasure of studying with 3 great trumpet players at Appalachian music camp (Jon Almeida-a Vincent Cichowicz and Bill Adams student, Joe Phelps-a Bill Adams student, and Phil Jones who took from Slossberg and others). The general advice they gave me was to forget my lips and start making music. I had messed with my lips so much that a could hardly hold a long tone without shaking. I used to think it was because I wasnt doing something right with my lips (naturally I would try to fix it physically), but it seemed thinking about it only made it worse. now that I have worked with these guys, I can at least hold a g in staff with alot less shaking. I am also getting my fat tone back, although there hasnt been in improvements in endurance and range I try not to worry about it when I'm practicing. I still slip into thinking about my lips sometimes. Has anyone been through this and know how to get that mindset of just worrying about music?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any real formal training, at least not from a college music program, but I believe that there is some truth to getting out of your own way by not over thinking the process. I find that if I just relax and make music, I'm much better off than if I try to think about what I'm doing. I was once told by my private lessons teacher at the Navy School of music to work on my sound first and foremost, that the technique would come in time and as long as I had a good sound I would be ok.

This philosophy has worked for me.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Callet rulz...... that was most probably the best advise any teacher has ever given you, Welcome to the Chicago school of thought.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 20:27 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The range and endurance will come soon. Get that sound and air energy happening first.

However, it sounds like you are coming out of a pretty tense approach to the trumpet. You were definitely in good hands working with people like Almeida and Phelps. Thanks to them, I know that you have a good concept of how to turn your approach around.

Be patient but consistent. Think about sound and keep your physical activity focused on deep breathing & blowing energized air through the sound in the horn. Keep the breath accelerating through the sound until all fluctuation vanishes.

You might do well to try the following approach for a week or two and then gradually add other things until you are playing more from Arban, Clarke, Schlossberg, and some easy but musical etude books like Getchell and Concone or Rochut.

1) Spend a good bit of time playing the leadpipe-two or three times a day for 4 or 5 minutes. Focus on the flowing air and creating a steady tone with no fluctuation in the tone or pitch. Just stay on the easiest note (probably a concert Eb).

2) Play long tones at a full rich volume throughout your comfortable range. If that means you only play the G and a couple of notes on either side of that for now, then so be it.

3) Play the first and/or second Clarke Technical studies in the keys that deal with only the notes you are comfortable with on the long tones. Go very slow. Keep the energy (and at first the volume) pretty high. Let the moving air wash away your tension. Feel like you blow your chops into place. Rest frequently.

4) Play melodies. Mostly do slurred and legato tonguing so you keep the flow of air consistent and energized. Go for a big resonant tone for now. You can refine that later after the tension starts to melt away.

You will heal yourself by focusing on tone and the flowing air is the thing that will wash away all the counterproductive tension.

You probably want to read the other threads in this Adam Forum. Also, check out the Chicago School forum and the Bach trumpet discussion group on the Selmer website.

Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-07-19 23:01 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: