• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anchor tongue method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryceh1217

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Anchor tongue method Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I recently was told about a method that I should learn, and they called it anchor tonguing. I recently purchased a book that had tips on embouchure and different things that trumpet players can do to increase their range and eliminate bad habits. One of the things in the book was anchor tonguing. I tried to learn it today and I just couldn't figure it out. I asked the author of the book and one of his students what I could be doing wrong. They replied with the simple statement "anchor tonguing doesn't work for downstream players" (which I am). I have an overbite, very crooked teeth, and I use WAY too much pressure when I play. I am working on eliminating the pressure to my chops as we speak, but apparently tongue compression is one of the key factors in air compression. What should I do? Is there an alternative? Most everything I read says anchor tonguing is extremely important. If I cant do it, what do I do? What are some things I can do to relieve the pressure on my face when I play and to increase my range? Thanks in advance!
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that "Anchor Tonguing" is also called "K-Tonguing Modified" and is advocated by Claude Gordon.

A good description of the correct 'T' syllable is given in the Claude Gordon annotations in the red cover edition of the Arban book. If you don't have this book, PM me and I can send you the annotation.

As far as anchor tonguing not working for downstream players, I call BS. The embouchure is affected by the airstream after the air passes between the teeth. In order for tonguing to affect this, you would have to tongue between the teeth like the Callet Superchops method.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Bryceh1217

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kind of what I was thinking. Bur I couldn't get the tongue arch thing to work and I was just told that it was because of my overbite and the teeth not being in line. He said because my teeth weren't in line that I couldn't tongue with the center of my tongue to my top teeth.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any method that advocates tonguing against the top teeth, or using the middle of the tongue to articulate single tonguing. Area just behind the tip, yes. But not the middle. Use what works with your anatomy, though. If you have a significant overbite it can affect what part is used but the effect should be the same.

Check out the annotation I mentioned. My offer to send it to you stands.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: