• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maybe you guys can help me out here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoltonScreamer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Maybe you guys can help me out here? Reply with quote

Hi. I have a colleague in my concert band that has an embouchure problem, or so I think. His sound is there but it sounds pinched like his embouchure is constricted. From the outside everything looks fine which is why I dont know what to tell him. Can anyone help me here?

-Kamal
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk to him abt an open throat...but plz he tactful...are you a teacher? maybe talk abt a student with this problem <make one up if necessary, he wont know> and itll make a wonderful segue! <segway>

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, people don't want to hear from somebody else about what they might be doing wrong. Please don't bring it up to him unless he says something to you. Then you've had you're invitation to jump right in and help. But until then, it's his issue, not yours. He might be perfectly happy with the way he sounds.
Has he said anything to you about him not being happy with his playing?
Matt
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe you guys can help me out here? Reply with quote

HoltonScreamer wrote:
His sound is there but it sounds pinched like his embouchure is constricted.

I don't quite understand this. If his sound is "pinched", how could it be "there"?

A pinched sound may relate mostly to improper breathing; playing with a breath that is too shallow and too "high" (coming from the throat).

The truth is, what I am saying is only conjecture since I cannot see him or hear him play.

Honestly, I would not say anything to him unless I knew exactly what to say (or to demonstrate to him) that would enable him to correct the problem - and only if he asked.

But if you do this, offer him unsolicited advise, don't be surprised if he starts pointing out what is wrong with your playing, which would only be fair play.

Last edited by Rich G on Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately agree, it can be a really stick situation. I would only give advice when asked. I play in a REALLY small community orchestra. The other trumpet player is pretty good but still has a lot to work on. For the first couple of weeks we just talked trumpet. After a few weeks I noticed we began talking about how to play the trumpet. After we talked about something over the next week or two i noticed he would try it. He doesn't mind me giving him some pointers but I just leave it at pointers. I don't try to teach him. I have seen some people try this with disastirous results. It will only work if the other player approaches you on it first.
Adam W. Metzler
HoltonScreamer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer someones question his sound, his sound is like someone that his playing above his actual question. It's like the sound it being squeezed about with alot of tension in the neck causing the pinched sound I was speaking about. And yes I do agree with you guys, I shouldn't just tell him whats wrong. That's why I've been hesistant to talk to him about it. For all I know he was in an accident and he was permently injured. But I was just wondering what to tell someone else that had a similar situation because I'm a music education major.

-Kamal
trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people around me get touchy the moment I mention that they're out of tune. If the individual is mature enough, when I mention this, they won't mind and will immediately fix their tuning because they recognize the most important thing is to sound good.

Similarly, I once played along side with someone who had a very fuzzy sound in all registers. He had a sound that made me think there was a leak in his horn where there was none. I did bring it up with him once and he didn't mind. I couldn't do anything to help him, but he was mature enough to know that I meant well. So whether or not to bring it up, I think, depends highly on the individual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: