• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mario's breathing advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Mario's breathing advice Reply with quote

I've been playing Stamp on and off for many years. Several years ago, I purchased Mario Guarneri's tape, Brass Basics and the Berp. As you probably know, Mr. Guarneri's teaching is largely based on Stamp's ideas. I recently listened to the tape again for the first time in several years. I noticed something I hadn't noticed before.

Mr. Guarneri recommends placing the tip of the tongue behind the upper teeth during inhalation. Not a minor point, if you ask me.

I'm just wondering if any of you die hard Stamp guys have been taught this. I cannot find reference to it in the Stamp book or the Poper book. Does anyone know if it's an idea which originated with Jimmy?

All comments welcome.
trptcolin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't answer your question directly, but I had a lesson a couple years ago with Mr. Poper (a great lesson that's still helping my playing), and he recommended a similar thing (getting the tongue in place to articulate during the inhalation). Does Mr. Guarneri mean to have the tongue there the whole time, or just at the end? The lesson I had was awhile back, so it's a little hazy. But you're right about it not being a minor point---a lot of people would strongly disagree with that idea.
-CJ
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak for Roy Poper or Mario, but Bert Truax used to teach us to say 'hot' in certain situations when inhaling - the 't' at the end of 'hot' functioning to place your tongue in an appropriate place for the initial articulation.

I can't say that I do things exactly that way now (not that I think about it much) but it was helpful at the time.

TD
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never been taught by any of these guys, But I was taught long ago by i believe my first private teacher to say hot when breathing, and also that the T syllable is the articulation much like in singing, it should be a Tuh Tuh, not a T T sort of sound.

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an ITG article Poper wrote that one of Stamp's important concepts was to release mouthpiece pressure when taking a breath, and not reapply it until the lips were reset and the air ready to be blown against the tongue. He thought endurance would be greatly increased by doing this. Given the speed with which this might have to be done in certain situations, I can see the advantage of keeping the tongue behind the teeth during the breath. In those situations you're not trying to take a big breath anyway. --BTW Poper does have a "quck breath" exercise in his Guide to Stamp although he does not mention tongue placement.
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with Mario for 4 years. The purpose of placing the tip of the tongue behind the teeth before the blow is to ensure a good attack. This is especially useful with soft attacks. Think of the tongue as a release valve for the air, kind of like turning on a faucet. Do not hold the air in, just pull the tongue back when you exhale. This will allow you to control the attack.
1B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: