• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp and Caruso 2nds.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Glidd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Stamp and Caruso 2nds. Reply with quote

I put this up in Caruso, too. Any thoughts?

I've recently added some Caruso to my playing and am trying to reconcile some things from a Stamp (at least as I've understood it) point of view.

A couple of presuppositions from Stamp:

When you begin a note, you're lips are touching. You blow, your tongue compresses the air (or not, if you're on a breath attack), the air reacts with the lips and a sound is created.

When you rebreathe, you're trying to achieve (at least) two things:
1. A breath
2. Get the lips back together to set-up for the next phrase/ note.

Now, when doing the second excercises (or any of the other Caruso intervals), I play, faithfully keep the breath through the nose, no motion on the rest, etc, but as I ascend, my lips are blown farther and farther apart. Since I'm not meant to remove the mouthpiece (where I would normally reset doing Stamp), the lips never have any opportunity to retouch. By the time I'm above the staff, I feel like I'm blowing through a PVC pipe (my lips), which is good since I feel the lips toughening up, but then again other tension begins to creep into the sound and production.

Then when I miss an interval, I begin at the miss, usually with a better result since I've had time to reset the lips and let them touch again.

I guess my question is, it seems that the goal is to keep the lips touching throughout each exercise, but how can I, when I'm constantly blowing them apart?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: