• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dallas Area Youth Jazz Orchestra concert...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you guys will tolerate me posting this again. I previously put it in the lounge.

For all of you TH'ers in the Dallas and Fort Worth area, please come and check out our two jazz bands this Monday night, July 29th, and get a sense of how well the next generation is doing!

The Dallas Area Youth Jazz Orchestra (DAYJO), now in it's 15th year, is a summer program which gives talented local teenagers the opportunity to showcase their big band skills. We rehearse once per week, starting in the first week of June, and finish up at the end of July with two concerts and a studio recording session.

There are two bands - DAYJO Jr. is for 8th and 9th graders, while DAYJO Sr. has mostly upper level high school players (this year's Sr. band includes 2 college freshmen, both are tenor sax players who continued from last year).

The program Monday night will include:

Jr. Band

Light My Fire (Woody Herman band)
A Child Is Born (Thad Jones)
Juan Of These Days (Les Hooper)
Jonny Quest (Dave Barduhn)
Big Mamma Cass (Buddy Rich band)

Note - none of the above are "watered down" versions!

Sr. Band

Star Spangled Banner ( the "real" Kenton band version)
My Favorite Things (Woody Herman band)
Child of Ecstasy (Don Ellis band)
La Belleclaire Blues (James Morrison one-man band!)
Pontieo (Woody Herman band)
When You're Smiling (Tom Kubis)
and the Christmas trilogy:
Joy To The World (Tom Kubis)
Oh Holy Night (Tom Kubis)
Greensleeves (Buddy Rich band)

The concert is at the Garland Center for the Performing Arts, in the small theatre, located at 5th and Walnut (Mapsco #19Z) We start at 7:30 PM. Admission, which basically allows us to cover the cost of renting the hall, is $5.00 for adults, $3.00 for under 18.

You may be surprised at how well these kids play. Look forward to seeing you there!

Jeff Smiley
trumpetteacher1@aol.com
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could go! Please give them our best for a great performance, and let us know how it went. - Don
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both programs look good Jeff. Will you be recording these concerts?

Let us know how it goes.

The best,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Kenman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

Just wondering if you have any students in the band?

thanks
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don - Thanks!

Phil - Yes, there will be both video and CD recording, but our main recording (Sr. band only) will be next week in the studio.

Kenman - Three of the five Jr. band trumpets are my students. In the Sr. band, all are my students except one, Kevin Flatt, who plays 2nd chair. Perhaps you know him, as he was the lead at Arlington Martin this past year.

I am fortunate to have contacts throughout the metroplex. Sometimes the best players are not my students (I know, hard to believe ). When push comes to shove, I always go for the better player, assuming personality is not an issue.

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetteacher1 on 2002-07-28 11:01 ]
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

I'm not surprised at all that you have so many of the finest players in the huge Dallas-Ft. Worth area in those groups. Your use of words in your training materials and your teaching concepts are SOOO clear. I can't imagine how effective you must be person-to-person.

I was thinking of you last night, as I heard my son Russell doing arpeggio slurs smoothly from petal C to double C . . . over and over and over again. Russell will be a high school senior next year.

I went in and asked him if he was using your book and he said, "No, I was just working on not using pressure and of doing things smoothly and easily." He is well aware of your book though, it was just that at that moment he was just playing without materials.

If we lived out in that area, we'd both want to study with you! Both Russell and I made HUGE breakthroughs about a 16 months ago after just a few very informal lessons with "chop doc" Lee Adams.

Both of us picked up a full octave or more of performance range, as well as developing much better flexibility and endurance. Yeah, range isn't everything . . . its just the fruits of doing everything right!!!!!!!

I told Russell last night, "Do you realize how rare it is to heard a high school trumpeter who can play an easy and rich Double C?" His reply, "Dad, it's really nothing special . . . once you can find someone who shows you how to do it, ANYONE could do the same."

Those were wise, humble words that came from a kid who struggled to pinch a weak high C less than a year and a half ago . . . yet who could play a Double C soon after instruction!

Jeff, teachers who possess the knowledge and skill to teach kids to make these types of breakthoughs are so rare. Keep up the wonderful work of de-mystifying the intricacies of playing the trumpet!

People within your area need to take advantage of your wonderful gifts as a teacher.

The rest of us need to get your "Balanced Embouchere" book and demo CD!

Warmest regards,

Tom Turner
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concert went extremely well! I was hoping that some TH'ers would show up and post a review, but alas, none were there to the best of my knowledge.

The trumpets were hot. Even so, I'm thinking about broadening our territory out a bit next year, to include ...........

......certain areas of Georgia! Then we could ask Russell to play.

You can never have too many double C guys!

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: