• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Big Band Charts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Here's my quandry... I want to get cracking on starting a new big band here, but the band I had back in Boise used charts from various University music libraries. I don't have that luxury here, and I'm interested in doing more original or new arrangements of tunes rather than the 'stock' stuff (Basie, Ellington, Kenton, MF, Buddy Rich, etc.)

However, I don't have a lot of money to spend. Does anybody have any ideas of where I can get good charts?

My feeling is that this will be more of a rehearsal or composers band, going towards recording rather than playing dances and that sort of thing. I'd be VERY into working with composers or arrangers to get their music recorded or performed.

Seattle has a very good jazz scene, and there is no shortage of really top notch players here.

Any options you guys see as viable, I'm interested. Maybe you know someone who has done some writing or arranging, and wants to here what their stuff sounds like and have a CD of it. Maybe there is someone out there that has a bunch of charts that they really want me to have...

ANY help would be very appreciated.
Erin C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this might sound totally crazy because I'm "pretty young", but I happen to be really into writing and arranging big band music... my first couple charts really sucked because they were my first couple charts, but they're getting better, honest So if you're interested in some charts from a high school junior who's a zillion miles northeast of you then send me a message or email me, mightyfinejazz@hotmail.com. It would be great, for me especially, if you liked any of them and played them and recorded them... it's a really useful tool for me so I can hear what a real band sounds like playing them, and figure out how to write better figures and make things work and come together and stuff. If it can work, then great, and if it can't then that's fine too... it was simply a thought...

Erin -iii<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin,
I will respond to you privately, but I wanted to put this out there.... that's not crazy at all. Like I said in my first post, I'm into new tunes/arrangements from ANYBODY. Got tunes???
Keith Wood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nicholas,
Galen Jeter of the Dallas Jazz Orchestra has a good number of originals. He lives in Garland, TX. He's a screamin' lead player and soloist, and would love to visit with you.
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicholas,

E-mail me. I have a couple of charts I can send you.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: