• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Summer Music Camps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Summer Camp Reply with quote

I attended the Humboldt State University "Brass Chamber Music Workshop" the last week of July and it was a wonderful experience. Attended by over 80 brass players. Each day you were assigned to a different ensemble and palyed with different people. During the day your ensemble prepare a piece for that evening's performance.

During the week I played in Quintet two time, a mixed brass quartet, a trumpet quartet and a Dectet (10). On Thursday I also played in the all trumpet ensemble. Only got 1 hour to prep two pieces for that evening's performance.

If you like brass ensemble playing, this is a great experience.
Piccolo Kanstul ZKT 1520
Mouthpieces Various Monette Prana 2's
Santa Rosa Wind Symphony
SRJC Orchestra
trumpetjennifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to lots of band camps in Texas. When you get awards and honors, they start to pay for you to attend their camp. The summer between my junior & senior years, I went to 4 band camps and didn't pay a dime for any of them because I made state.

The most fun camp I attended was the University of Texas at Austin. Not only was it free, but their top band was completely made up of all state kids, which was great fun for me. I remember the music was difficult but fun to learn and the group was very good.

What I would like to know about is Southern Methodist University's camp called "Blast of Brass" available for middle school, high school, & college kids. Check it out at www.blastofbrass.com - they have some sound clips and it makes me want to send some of my students there! Anybody been?
caritas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check out the website of Summer Brass Institute which is in the San Francisco area. http://brass.menloschool.org will tell you all about the teaching, application process, activities etc.

College-age players attend, along with some high school players. The focus is on professional coaching and performance of brass chamber music and larger ensembles.
trip_trumpet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm looking into going to a music camp this summer, but money is something that I'm not exactly rolling in, and I also wonder how good you have to be to get into these places? I would like to maybe go to interlochen, but i hear it costs a fortune. also, any of you who went to interlochen within the past five years remember a guy named John Holland?
tknowlton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trip_trumpet wrote:
Hey, I'm looking into going to a music camp this summer, but money is something that I'm not exactly rolling in, and I also wonder how good you have to be to get into these places?

Interlochen accepts quite a range of ability. They have two bands and two orchestras for each age group. The range between first chair in the top band and last chair in the bottom band is large. I would say that if you take the trumpet seriously and would consider yourself one of the top 5% of high school musicians in your area then you should be fine.

Regarding the money...I know some businesses are willing to donate money. I would also call up groups like the Elks Lodge or the Rotary or Lions or some of those groups - sometimes they have money to give away and no idea where to give it. It is worth a shot.

Good luck,
Tyler
cali141

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berklee Five Week Summer Program

Wow, i havent had so much fun in a long time. This is open to people in highschool, and any skill level. Prior to being assigned any classes, everyone takes a written test and an audition to determine which skill levels of classes would be most suitable for them.

Education: There were classes for musicianship, theory, sightreading, improvising, and more. Classes where you perform were usually split up by instruments. I learned a lot with everything. They really push you to become better with everything, whether it be written or performed. However, you never feel burdened by anything. I must say that i was very motivated to learn and improve as much as i could.

Also, everyone got to pick an elective along with their usual classes. I chose music synthesis. That class was located in one of their synth labs, in which every 'desk' has an Apple G5 computer and a bunch of hardware set up, along with a very nice pair of headphones. The entire class was centered around the program Reason, a standalone music synthesis program (no hardware). The teacher really threw a lot at us every class since its such a complex program. I was clueless at first, but after learning the basics, it became my favorite program for a computer (and still is). I love how this one program can make almost any type of electronic sound... and it all sounds very professional. Ive written songs that you might mistake for BT or Paul Oakenfold, or other big names in the electronica genre.

We all stayed in the Berklee dorms, which are very nice. Theyre all decently large, have air conditioning, and have individual bathrooms and showers for each room. The beds themselves actually werent half bad... ive slept on mattresses much worse.

As for fun, what can i say... youre living in the middle of Boston! I absolutely LOVE the location. Anything you could want is within a short walk, provided you have the money for it, haha. You live just like regular college students, so you can leave whenever you want (there is a 12:00 curfew though). You arent supervised by chaperones or anything. My roommates and i were always having a great time together. We frequently would go on trips together to the Virgin Records megastore down the street, or to Crazy Dough's (a pizza place that won an award for best pizza... in the world), or any other random place you might think of, including the Prudential Center mall down the street.

The faculty is nothing short of awesome. I played with Tiger Okoshi, Lin Biviano (he is the MAN!), and a bunch of other names you may or may not have heard of. Everyone is very friendly and sociable, and willing to help out with anything.

Students come from all over the world. My two roommates were from Texas and Cyprus (a small island off the coast of Israel). There were also people from France, China, Japan, Russia, Mexico, and other places all over the globe.

I got there thinking, "Oh yeah, im a bigshot... lead trumpet in my school band." Then, i heard some of the students play, and i was absolutely blown away at how talented some of these people are for their age. This really motivated me to improve up to their level.

The cafeteria is great. All of the food could be mistaken for something youd find at a restaurant. Also, they have a very wide range of food. Everything tastes great. They also have coffee and espresso machines, as well as about 15 kinds of sodas and 10 different kinds of juice. Basically, almost anything you might want for breakfast, lunch, or dinner can be found in there. The caf itself has plenty of seating, somehow without giving it that huge feeling of a normal caf. You can grab a seat in the middle of a bunch of people, or you can also usually find a table for yourself in a more quiet corner (the second floor works well for that).

So, in conclusion: If you want a taste of real college life at Berklee, come here. Its literally the same thing, except slightly modified for younger students. Even if you arent interested in Berklee at all, come here anyway. Youll learn a lot, meet tons of people that youll remember for a long time, and improve in skill. I can guarantee you that youll have a blast.

One more thing: Theres nothing more funny than playing Revely at 2 in the morning into the dorm hallway, shutting your door quickly, then listening to the opening doors, and people either saying "what the hell?" or "HAHAHAHAHAHA!!"
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in Michigan

Great for younger players. Lots of socializing as well as playing time. I had a lot of fun, and definitely improved, but not a smuch as one might at more rigorous camps.

Birch Creek Music Center

There are 4 sessions: Symphony, percussion, and two jazz sessions. I've only gone for jazz, but their symphony program is also allegedly fantastic. Jazz trumpet teachers have included Joey Tartell, John Davis, Clay Jenkins, Marty Robinson, Tito Carillo, Stephen Fulton and others. For learning big band jazz there is no better camp anywhere. I can't recommend it highly enough.
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll second the motion for interlochen...went there two summers in high school, and i can honestly say that every job i've had since stems from that experience. it's very espensive, but well worth it if you can afford the money and the time.

for a shorter, cheaper, and jazz specific camp, i'd suggest the port townsend (WA) workshop. it was run by bud shank for years, but john clayton took over last year. it's a week long, culminating in a jazz festival the ending weekend. facutly is hard to beat: ingrid jensen, terell stafford, benny green, george cables, kurt elling, and many, many more.
marion
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a different type of summer music camp in Norway. The camp is spread over 4 weeks at a school right besides the biggest lake in Norway. Each course lasts i 5-7 days, and is divided by age; 8-10 years olds, 11-13 years olds, 14-16 years olds and 16 + years old. We've also got courses were they teach people to instruct and construct.

We stay in rooms with 1-4 other people and share shower and toilet with 20-30 other boys/girls. Really cozy. The teachers are the countrys best, and the conductor is realle funny. We learn a lot, and play in a huge school band with about 100 other people. It's a huge experience for many, I myself play in a small school band with 18-20 others.

After the day's over, we socialize and play small concerts. The administration arranges bathing, volleyball and football. The students play a football tournament against eachother, and the winners play a match against the teachers. The teacher's dead serious. They've named the team "Airbags United" and goes training several nights during the camp.

OK, i guess some of you understood my "norwenglish". I tried my best!
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUMMIT BRASS will again be hosting the RAFAEL MENDEZ BRASS INSTITUTE next summer. It will be July 23-28 at the UNIVERSITY OF DENVER.

Trumpet faculty include:

Robert Sullivan -- Associate Principal, Cleveland Orchestra
Allan Dean -- Prof., Yale University; St. Louis Brass Quintet
David Hickman -- Prof., Arizona State University
Ronald Romm -- Prof., University of Illinois; formerly, Canadian Brass
Bobby Shew -- internationally known jazz artist
Alan Hood -- Prof., University of Denver

Other brass faculty include:

Arthur David Krehbiel, Gail Williams, Marty Hackleman, Thomas Bacon -- Horns
Larry Zalkind, Milton Stevens, Carl Lenthe, John Lofton -- Trombones
Brian Bowman -- Euphonium
Daniel Perantoni, Samuel Pilafian, Harvey Phillips -- Tubas
The Denver Brass

Magazine ads are already beginning to appear. You can email Al Hood for more details:

ahood@du.edu

Dave Hickman
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brevard Music Center.

I was there from 1990 - 1996. I did my undergrad at Brevard college so the Music Center was just across the street.

I got some of the best training in those 6 summers there; everything from private lessons, concert bands, chamber groups and orchestras. It was great. Going there as a "camper" (high school stundent) kinda sucked but as an Advanced Division (college) student it was a whole lot better. Playing alongside the faculty and guest artists was great. Playing under the likes of Keith Lockhart was unforgettable.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

John

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
jbowman1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Summer Camps Reply with quote

For an extensive listing of summer camp opportunities, check out the ITG Youthsite's page, which has dozens of listings. Brian Shook has done an outstanding job of organizing the list!. Click on the link below to find it!

JB
*TG* 2009

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitka Fine Arts Camp in Sitka, Alaska

They accept everyone who applies so it's great for younger players. It's only about 800-900 dollars which is quite inexpensive compared to most summer music camps. They bring a quite esteemed faculty in every year as well. It's two weeks long, and a great learning experience for younger players. Yes it is in Alaska but it's in Southeast Alaska so it's not cold especially in the summer time. temperatures fall between 60 and 80 during the time period they hold SFAC.
jbowman1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Shook has posted several new additions to the Summer Camps Listing on the ITG Youth website. Check it out!
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard great things about the FSU camp in the summer.

Scotty Barnhart apparently is an amazing instructor, one of my good friends got to have some time with him.

I attended the camp at University of North Florida, I made the top big band, and it was a very good learning experience. J.B. Scott directed the band, and is a heck of a trumpet player.
jackie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is interlochen all state any good? all state is much more in my price range thant the 6 week long camp
KikuC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that Interlochen was amazing for me. I went from being "one of the best" from my all state orchestras/bands to "ehhhh, she's pretty good for a girl" at NMC. I spent two summers there and my senior year of high school at the Arts Academy (though they did not do much recruiting during the summer for the school year, I was encouraged by my teacher and got some nice $$ to attend).

Of course this was in the 80's, so things have changed for sure. But I assume it's just as good if not better. There was such a wide range of playing ability, and so many cool opportunities to play different styles. It also was amazing for confidence, and auditions happened weekly for both bands and orchestras, so you really kept on your toes.

I hope this helps.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 23-28, 2007 in Denver!

Study with:

Summit Brass

TRUMPET
Bobby Shew -- jazz great
Allan Dean -- Yale University; St. Louis BQ
Ronnie Romm -- formerly, Canadian Brass; U. of Illinois
David Hickman -- Arizona State University
Robert Sullivan -- Cleveland Orchestra; Cleveland Institute
Alan Hood -- University of Denver; Denver Brass
F. Joseph Docksey -- Denver Brass; Aries BQ

HORN
Thomas Bacon -- Houston Ballet Orch.; Soloist
Allene Hackleman -- Edmonton Symphony
Marty Hackleman -- National Symphony; formerly Canadian Brass
David Krehbiel -- retired principal, San Francisco Symphony
Susan McCullough -- University of Denver; Aries BQ

TROMBONE
Carl Lenthe -- Indiana University
Milt Stevens -- National Symphony
Larry Zalkind -- Utah Symphony
Joseph Martin -- University of Denver; Denver Brass
John Lofton -- Acting Bass Trombone, Los Angeles Phil.

EUPHONIUM
Brian Bowman -- Soloist; University of North Texas

TUBA
Kathy Brantigan -- University of Denver; Denver Brass
Warren Deck -- Univ. of Denver; formerly, New York Philharmonic
Daniel Perantoni -- Indiana University; St. Louis BQ; Soloist
Harvey Phillips -- famed tuba soloist and teacher
Samuel Pilafian -- Arizona State University; formerly, Empire Brass

Check it out at: www.MendezBrassInstitute.com
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bemidji State University Musicamp, Bemidji, MN.
http://cal.bemidjistate.edu/music/musicamp.html
Instrumental week, July 15-21. (Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Bands and Orchestra) This will be the 60th consecutive summer for the camp. Small, with a lot of individual attention, no one leaves without learning something to improve their performance abilities. Outstanding staff and the campus is on a Minnesota lake! 7-12th graders welcome.

Camp director Del Lyren is a huge contributor to ITG and outstanding performer. Check this camp out!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summer (2007) I will be doing the following camps and workshops. I hope to see many of you there. We always try to have "serious fun"!

I will be doing both weeks of Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops in Kentucky at the University of Louisville (July 1-6 and July 8-13). I will also be doing the Jazz wise Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz School in Richmond, Surrey, UK (July 29- August 3).

In addition to work with Jamey, I will be teaching a jazz camp at Southern Wesleyan University in South Carolina (June 5- and conducting an all-star youth jazz ensemble as part of Toledo, Ohio's Art Tatum Jazz Festival (June 14-16).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: