• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Summer Music Camps

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Summer Music Camps Reply with quote

Please send me your reviews in this forum or PM of the various summer music camps you have attended. I will compile a list with comments and make it available to all. Perhaps this could remain a sticky.

1. Some camps are just a good time and the kids don't really learn that much.
2. Some camps are too serious and the average kid doesn't fit in.
3. Some camps are just recruiting tools for the various schools that sponsor them.

Give me your impressions as either a student or faculty.
Trumpeter656
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Music Camps Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Please send me your reviews in this forum or PM of the various summer music camps you have attended. I will compile a list with comments and make it available to all. Perhaps this could remain a sticky.

1. Some camps are just a good time and the kids don't really learn that much.
2. Some camps are too serious and the average kid doesn't fit in.
3. Some camps are just recruiting tools for the various schools that sponsor them.

Give me your impressions as either a student or faculty.

I have attended Southern Maine Music Academy, and I plan to do so again this year. I haven't attended any other camps, but I will remark on my experiences at this one.

1. I beg to differ! With the 6+ hours of playing and sectionals, not to mention the time with other musicians and instructors, it's hard not to learn anything. We were led by some of the best musicians and directors in our area; our conductor had a doctorate in music, for example. The amount of playing, itself, gave me more endurance. With the other trumpet playing friends that I made, we each learnt a great deal from each other. We were constantly discussing different methods of playing, and we gave each other advice and tips on our playing. Additionally, there were lessons avaliable to each camp member. I took that oppertunity, and I had a few lessons with the principal chair in trumpet of one of our state's most famed symphony orchestras.
In addition to that, the entire group of campers attended a music fundamentals class each morning. We learned about various types of music. In the concert band, we were playing a chacconne, and the entire ensemble broke into groups and created our own. We all then recorded them and played them together.

2. This is funny in itself. We all had so much fun at camp. There were games, ping pong for one, and a large group of campers, myself and the majority of trumpeters included, played ultimate frisbee on our scheduled Beach Day. After each day of playing was done, we had a few hours to ourselves to play (instruments or games) and rest before being treated to some sort of concert every night. I don't see how anyone could have not had fun.
And, how could anyone not fit in. A music camp is a place for musicians to come, hang out, and play together. Most of us feel the very same way about music: we can't get enough of it! Still, though, if someone were to not find a group to hang around, there's always your roommate(s).

3. Perhaps this is true, but many of the friends I made there did not even apply to this college. I, myself, though, do plan on applying there because I loved the music program that was offered. To each his own...

Hope this helps!

Conn 8D double F/Bb horn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. Can you provide a link?
Trumpeter656
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suuure

http://www.smma.iwarp.com/

Conn 8D double F/Bb horn
tknowlton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interlochen Music Camp:

2 months long, rather geared to serious high school music students, but there are plenty of recreational music students there. You live in a cabin with about 10 other guys (or 10 girls if you happen to be a girl) all summer long.

You are required to belong to either an orchestra, a band, or both. Every week you put on a new concert and every week there are challenges to move up or down the chair assignments. It can be rather intense!

I went the summer after my junior year of high school and had one of the most memorable summers of my life. It changed my perception of the trumpet quite a bit as well. I was at the top in Utah, and at Interlochen I was about the 5th best trumpeter there. It helped put things into perspective for me and it also helped tremendously to hear other students play, to talk with them, and to become friends with them.

Jack Sutte was in the same trumpet section with me in the Symphonic Band at Interlochen, and now he plays with the Cleveland Orchestra. Not a bad section leader!

Highly Recommended.

Tyler
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tyler. What a great experience!
Leadpipe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Tyler. In high school I didn't have very much competition, so the chance for me to be exposed to a wider range of musicians really put things into perspective for me. That's like this one time in band camp...
cdaigle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my high school years the camps I attended were mainly recruiting efforts. I attended the Hot Springs Music Festival in Hot Springs, Arkansas in 2002 after my junior year of college. A relatively brief festival (2 weeks) there were some great trumpet players there. Matt Sonneborn is the trumpet mentor. Some of the alums of the festival, Josh Maccluer, Joe Bowman, several others. It is a relativle young festival, started in 96 I believe. They usually take 5-6 trumpets and it is free if selected. Located in a beautifully natural area, mountains, lakes, natural hot springs. Its a lot of fun after concerts as well.
The way a festival should be, I won't share any stories however. the link is www.hotmusic.org
Chad Daigle
ertatta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to disagree with cdaigle on this recommendation!!
yes it is a beautiful part of the country, matt sonneborns great, and can be alot of fun like most other summer festivals(chicks, boooze, and other immoral behaviour). but the festival is run very unprofessionally and the conductor and his wife are of not the kind of character young musicians should be working with. btw, these are my opinions and i think chad knows what i'm talking about. so many other and better choices out there!
cdaigle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Erick. I will say Erick did get a raw deal with the festival and he can dispute what I say, i would too if the same happened to me. It is a pretty funny story as well but I'll won't tell here. Anyway I had a great time, and got a lot out of it. Ill give you a call this weekend E.
Chad

Last edited by cdaigle on Sun May 01, 2005 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
SinfonianTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyline Brass Music Festival-
Pretty good overall
some great faculty
Nice area
Camp is like a week long or something
Past artists have included Dave Bilger
davidk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brevard Music Center!

I went there in '93, '94, and '98. It's great! Set in the Mountains of North Carolina, beautiful area, a ton of great players and guest artists. I met my best friend there and my wife! I've even sent my students there. The whole deal is fantastic!

David
Solar Bell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you were surprised to find your wife and best friend there.
Didn't they know you would see them?
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two summer camps that I've experienced:

Aspen Music Festival -

9 weeks long, tuition based. Superb faculty (Ray Mase and Kevin Cobb from Juilliard, Louis Ranger from U. of Victoria I believe?). Plenty of playing opportunities and assignments are judiciously handled with respect to playing ability/fairness for all. As I remember, some people had gripes about it, but you can't please everyone. Mr. Mase takes the job of handing out assignments very seriously.

There are a couple of orchestras, with the flagships being the Festival Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra (more string based). Faculty play principal parts, and students play second to learn from them. It's a terrific setup in my mind. There are other student orchestras that rotate sections, as well as a conductor's orchestra that provides a scholarship.

The setting is GORGEOUS, in the Colorado mountains. Living is expensive, as Aspen is notorious for being "the place where millionaires go to watch the billionaires." Watch for Ferarris and Maseratis rolling down the streets. Age ranges from highschool through college, generally, with a couple people slightly older than that.

It's a serious networking, preprofessional camp - People you meet at Aspen will be around you for the rest of your professional life. It's really geared to those students who plan to make music-making their life. You'll meet lots of people with that goal in mind.

National Repertory Orchestra -

8 weeks, tuition free, housing/meals provided. In Breckenridge, Colorado (9600 ft elevation - Wind players beware!) Again, a gorgeous setting, but this festival is much different than Aspen. They only accept enough people to fill one orchestra, and the orchestra BURNS through repertoire in a true professional sense. Three rehearsals, concert. Three rehearsals, concert. And we're talking big repertoire too. I remember playing Petrouchka and Copland 3 in one week there.

No faculty - You spend the summer fighting your own demons by yourself. I found this to be a fantastic way to learn, although it may not be for everyone.

This festival is definitely pre-professional, and in some cases, people in the orchestra had already won gigs. (One of the flautists my year had recently accepted a position with the Houston symphony!) The famous summer for trumpets was a number of years ago when Michael Sachs and Dave Bilger were in the section together.

Again, a very important networking orchestra. Chances are if you get accepted to this orchestra you'll already know quite a few people, and the people you do meet during the summer will become contacts for life. Carl Topilow does a fine job making sure everyone has enough to play and on occasion hands out solo opportunities.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChrisVenditti

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Famous Summer Reply with quote

Doug Prosser, principal trumpet of Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. was also at NRO the same summer as Michael Sachs and Dave Bilger.
didge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attended Lake Placid('02) and Aspen('03) and both were amazing. Last summer went to Northwestern Trumpet Seminar('04). It is a week long, stay on campus, and run by Barbara Butler and C. Geyer. High School to College Grad level. Played solo, orchestral excerpts with mock audition at end, and trumpet ensemble. Best part (one of) was the stories and input from both teachers. If you don't have time for an all summer festival I would highly recommend the Northwestern 1 week seminar.
Carusofiedagain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Kinhaven Reply with quote

Kinhaven Music School:

Its located in Weston, Vt. In otherwords the middle of nowhere. 6 weeks long, no chair placements. Instead, the teachers assign you individual pieces in orchestra, brass quintet, chamber orchestra, brass choir, lessons, and masterclasses so that you can work on your own problems and make them better while still learning and playing awesome music.

There are only 90 people in the camp, and the staff is about 25-30 total. Its a really great experiance that I have had for the past 3 years. Some of the lit. that we have played in orchestra include the following:

Shostakovich 5th Symphony
Mahler 1st Symphonoy
Tchaikovsky 5th Symphony
Brahms 2nd Symphony
Pines of Rome
Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet (Suites 1+2)
Symphonic Metamorphoses
The Planets

I can't list the chamber pieces that we played because usually you play 2 brass quintet a week and a brass ensemble or chamber orchestra piece. Another that is special is that everyone sings in choir. I find it very fun and we learn a lot for singing.

The fun stuff, its out in the middle of Vermont so the climate is great. Everyday you have lots of free time to do whatever you want, 1:30-6. You can walk to town, paint in the art shack, swim in the pond, play volleyball, or many other activities. Its great to make 90 friends at a camp, you would learn everyones name and probably become great friends with them. This is a camp where everyone should become a better person, while still becoming a great player.
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never attended any of the big ones like Aspen, NRO, etc. etc. But I did attend quite a few smaller ones during high school and my experiences were as follows:

I attended camps at the University of Iowa for a good 3 or 4 years in a row starting when I was very young. They were quite well attended and had a variety of ensembles to suit most players. It was used somewhat as a recruitment tool but that did not get in the way of the experience. Being only two weeks long I still had a great learning experience (David Greenhoe) and met lots of long-lasting friends. As far as a fun time and meeting great friends..reattending a certain camp can bring a whole new joy to it.

Another was at Eastman. This is one that was basically poor (at least the year I attended). I, of course, shouldn't have expected that Charlie and Barbara would be in attendence but it would have been nice. Most everyone studied with a teaching assistant (still very qualified and a valuable experience). The attendence was scattered...No major ensembles, just chamber music (I believe they mightve had a jazz band as well) and I believe they didn't even have any tuba players for quintets. This made the program, basically, a time to work on solos. This is great but when a young student goes to a summer camp they should have the experience of playing with others as much as possible. Unless things have come around with their four week summer program; I wouldn't recommend it.

The best summer camp I attended was at Northwestern. The ensemble (small wind symphony) was comprised of great young players from all over and it was a blast as well as challenging. People study with a assistants and I had some issues with mine but they were strictly my own. The conductor even called me personally the next year to see if I would be in attendance. The scene was great (beatiful campus, trips into the city, the lake) and though it's been a good 9 or 10 years since I attended...I highly recommend it.

Something I always wanted to attend was the Natural Trumpet making summer clinic at Indiana University. I dont know if this is still something that happens but basically you went there and made a natural trumpet...something a little different but very interesting.
isabelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sewanee Summer Music Festival:

It's a five week summer festival in Sewanee, TN at the University of the South. I think anyone over the age of 15 is able to attend (by audition). All students are members of one of two student orchestras as well as chamber ensembles, and alternate chair positions each week. The ensembles study different rep. each week and perform in concerts every weekend. There are also great faculty concerts several nights a week, and a brass festival concert at the end of the camp. The faculty is amazing. Ryan Anthony has taught trumpet there for the last several years. We have private lessons with him as well as sectionals and masterclasses each week. It's a great atmosphere and an incredible learning experience in the beautiful mountains of Tennessee.
gms979
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston University Tanglewood Institute (Lenox MA)

Atlantic Brass Seminar (Boston MA)

National Wind Ensemble (NYC)

I did all three in college, and they were fantastic experiences.....did the Trumpet Workshop with Joe Foley as well as the Atlantic Brass Seminar at Tanglewood. ABQ seminar is at Boston college this year....

The National Wind Ensemble was more of a mini-residency in New York. 5 day thing, lots of rehearsals, H. Robert Reynolds conducted, Carnegie Hall concert. Very fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: