• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Summer Music Camps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Bemidji State University Musicamp, Bemidji, MN.
http://cal.bemidjistate.edu/music/musicamp.html
Instrumental week, July 15-21. (Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Bands and Orchestra) This will be the 60th consecutive summer for the camp. Small, with a lot of individual attention, no one leaves without learning something to improve their performance abilities. Outstanding staff and the campus is on a Minnesota lake! 7-12th graders welcome.

Camp director Del Lyren is a huge contributor to ITG and outstanding performer. Check this camp out!

Craig,

Glad to see you posted this. I was just going to do it. I added it to the calendar as well. Thanks!

Craig Swartz also teaches at the camp each summer. Great player and teacher!
RowanTptProf

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Vince Penzarella in Aurora, Minn. July 1-13 Reply with quote

The Northern Lights Music Festival is embarking upon its fourth season in Aurora, Minnesota. The festival was created as a venue for gifted pianists and string players of all ages to come together to perform and perfect solo repertoire and chamber music.

This season an extraordinary opportunity has presented itself to gifted and interested trumpet players of any age. Mr. Vince Penzarella, the legendary and recently retired member of the New York Philharmonic has agreed to join us at Giant’s Ridge to conduct Master Classes and to give private lessons between July 1 and 13. There are numerous and flexible possibilities for most advanced players:

• Full participation in the Trumpet Master Classes from July 1 through 9.
• Auditor participation in the Trumpet Master Classes and the opportunity to take a private or group lesson on the same day
• Private Lessons or Group Lessons on any day between July 1 and 13.

Full participation in the Trumpet Master Classes is limited to twelve serious, advanced students of high school, collegiate or professional levels; three Trumpet Ensemble concerts are scheduled in Aurora; Mountain Iron’s Merritt School; and Ely’s Washington High School on a program which also includes Carl Orff’s “Carmina Burana.”. Additionally, solo trumpet performance opportunities are available during the Northern Lights Festival concerts from July 1 through 13th.

Mr. Penzarella’s philosophy of teaching is simple: If the student is sincere in learning, Mr. Penzarella will work with any level of student. Auditors can observe the master classes daily and one student or groups of students can take one or more private lessons with Mr. Penzarella during his residency at Giant’s Ridge, from July 1 through 13. Lessons are also available with Professor Bryan Appleby-Wineberg of Rowan University of New Jersey.
• Costs for full participation in the Trumpet Master Classes is $900 for tuition, room and board at the Giant’s Ridge Sports Dorm. You will have an opportunity to play for Mr. Penzarella in his classes, to rehearse with the trumpet ensemble which will present three concerts, to work with professional accompanists in preparing solo repertoire to be presented on Northern Lights Music Festival Concerts and to socialize with other trumpet players and the international group of pianists and string players who will be rehearsing and performing chamber music during the festival. All local transportation to meals in Aurora, to concerts and excursions will be provided.
• Auditor participation is $50 per person per day. Housing and meals can be purchased on a day by day basis if desired.
• Private lessons, which may be shared by a small group of students, are $150 per hour with Mr. Penzarella. Dr. Appleby-Wineberg’s fee is $75 per hour.

We welcome your participation in the Trumpet Master Classes with Vince Penzarella. If you have questions, we would be delighted to answer them. Call me at 856 795 1830 or at 609 922 2965.

Sincerely,

Veda Zuponcic
Artistic Director
Northern Lights Music Festival
Professor of Music
Rowan University

You may also contact Dr. Bryan Appleby-Wineberg
Assistant Professor of Trumpet and Brass
Rowan University
applebywineberg@rowan.edu
priceo93

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Illinois Summer Youth Music Reply with quote

Coming from a student of Illinois Summer Youth Music (ISYM) I have found that this camp provides an extremely good balance of fun and musical training. The senior session for grades 9-12 provides students with three hours of large ensemble rehersal a day, one hour of technique class, one hour of sectional rehersal and a musical related elective. This program is at the University of Illinois and it lasts one week so it is not as hard core as some place like interlochen, but it is extremely educational and fun. I must admit that I have never been to any other music camp, but I would definately recommend ISYM to anyone interested in a summer music camp.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a couple of weeks to go I'd like to remind high school and middle school players of every band and orchestra instrument that the Bemidji State University MusiCamp still has spots open and we would love to fill them. Camp starts on July 15, we do an outstanding job with the younger students and I will attest that the supervision and attention given to each individual is as good as any camp in the country.

Go to: http://cal.bemidjistate.edu/music/musicamp.html

Grab your friends, mail in the application and we'll see you on July 15!
jackie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably going to Interlochen All State this summer. I have been to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp, I didn't really learn much but I had a lot of fun. I am hoping that Interlochen All State will be more rigirous.

I wish I could go to the full Interlochen. If only I could convince my family to take a 2 month long vacation in Traverse City, I think that would cut down on the tuition a lot(boarding and food).

Anyone been to Interlochen All State?
trumpetloser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The International Music Camp in the Peace Gardens is an amazing camp. It's $295 for a week but totally worth it. You get top teachers. There is a huge variety of things there, too, not just music.
Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best deal at IMC, the Peace Garden camp, is the Adult only, community music workshop which runs from Saturday - Tuesday (July 26 - 29/2008). The fee is $165 covering food, accommodation and tuition! The coverage is intermediate and advanced Concert Band, Brass Band, Jazz band, mixed choir, string orchestra and men's & women's barbershop.

Really a great time, lots of playing and fun! http://www.internationalmusiccamp.com/

Olds trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds Flugelhorn/GR leadpipe/GR Butcher 65.6FL
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach at IMC every summer. It's an excellent camp.

Another option, especially for Midwesterners, is the Bemidji MusiCamp. This year's guest artist is Ronald Romm - founding member of Canadian Brass. The camp is help on the campus of Bemidji State University - right next to Lake Bemidji. It's a beautiful setting and a great learning opportunity. Also - TH's very own Craig Swartz teaches here every summer.

Email me if interested.
trumpetloser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which session do you teach at Dr. Lyren? I've always gone to the sixth session and had Dr. Griffin (WOW that guy can play! ).
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually I teach at sessions 2-3. This year I'll be going only for the 7th session (orchestra week) - probably with Larry Griffin - I think he usually teaches that week. Should be fun!
jwman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm looking into going to a music camp this summer, but money is something that I'm not exactly rolling in, and I also wonder how good you have to be to get into these places? I would like to maybe go to interlochen, but i hear it costs a fortune. also, any of you who went to interlochen within the past five years remember a guy named John Holland?
jbowman1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Shook, editor of the ITG Youth website's Summer Camps page, has added quite a few events recently. Its a great source to check out if you are looking for a camp, workship, festival etc. Thanks Brian!!
TAMUmpower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to WTAMU, West Texas A&M University band camp for 6 years. The summer of 7th grade through the summer of my senior year(2003) Its a 2 week camy in Canyon Texas, and it was honestly the most memorable time of my life. I loved every minute of it. I got to experience Dr. Garner in the Honor band for 3 years as well. All the trumpet guys there are great.
Excuse my spelling but there is Mr. Takacs, that guy is an awesome player and had a massive collection of warburton stuff that he whipped out my last year there....the year Allan Vizzutti came.

Mr. Tevoloit, he really inspired me a lot. One rehersal he was talking to us about band and life...and was a little annoyed about the people that were quitting because of getting made fun of(we were in Junior High). He just stopped, pulled out his trumpet and went off on like a 1minute jazz improv and when he finished he said "and no one can EVER tell you thats not cool!" Ill always remember that moment.

Mr. Hinds - An incredible jazz player. He could improv for probably an hour if you asked. He just always had ideas. I took the jazz improv class with him for 2 years and I still retain things from those first classes.

Overall it was up to the student whether they learned a lot or not. We were playing like 5 hours a day or something so you got built up right. The campus was fun, and there were a lot of cute band girls that you could meet at the "Band Camp Dances" every night. o yea.

I would love to go back and be a dorm RA/counselor one day soon. Just seems like im busy every summer. A great camp and very popular down here in the south.

Allan, we got to accompany him on a piece too in the brass choir

Bill Takacs

The world famous mute stand....beat that....it took us 20min and many loud crashes while the director was working with the flutes to make this happen!
DerekTFraser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: camp Reply with quote

i think camp is a good thing.

it puts kids in a whole different environment of playing. Theres more people like them as well.
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear the compliments about West Texas A&M's camp! We're gearing up again for a full crowd of over 900 students on our campus. The year Vizzutti was there was great. Lol, I like the pic of me posted with my sombrero on, playing La Virgen de la Macarena at the faculty recital! I'll be playing that again this year! We're pretty proud of our camp and we think it is very beneficial to the students!
Vschneider2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Sewanee Summer Music Festival Reply with quote

Sewanee Summer Music Festival is a great camp, for all students. If you are a less than serious high school player I wouldn't recomend it as there are many college and college level players. Though it is a nice sized camp where you can get a lot of 1+1. Though if you really just have 3,000 + you want to spend and aren't that good unfortunately you could still make it in if you play in a large section (like strings)
piknrol
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York Summer Music Festival (NYSMF) is a great camp. The age ranges from elementary kids to college. You don't have to audition to get in, you just audition to see where they will put you. You would think that would mean that the musicians are of lower quality but they aren't. The faculty is great as well, mostly made up of pros. The trumpet teachers are Nathan Warner and Patrick Hoffman. They bring in many guest artist who give performances and masterclasses. David Bilger, Peter Bond, and Tony Kadleck come every year to do that. They have many ensembles; chamber orchestra, symphony orchestra, wind ensemble, symphonic band, big band, select jazz band, brass ensemble and more. There are so many opportunities for both jazz and classical. Last year when I was in chamber orchestra we got to accompany the principal bassist of the Philadelphia Orchestra in a performance. Some ensembles perform every week and it gives you the experience of having to learn music quickly while performing it at a very high level. You can make it as serious as you want it to be. There is plenty of free time to meet people and chill with friends, or you could use that time to practice. I highly reccomend it.

http://nysmf.org/

-Paul
qbert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah. Band Camp. Brass Camp. Boy Scout Camp. fond memories of playing trumpets around the bonfire, toasting mashmallows and eating to many hamburgers and pancakes (in that order ! )
Fun stuff. Seriously though those are some great players out there helping out at those camps. Great.
tptlobotomy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone been to the Texas Music Festival at the University of Houston? They are playing some heavy rep this year: Alpine Symphony, Till Eulenspiegel, Symphonic Dances from Westside Story, Pulcinella Suite, Symphony by Theofanidis. I know they only take 4 trumpets, so it seems like it is an intense 4 weeks, even on rotation. Aside from it being hot and humid in Houston, what has your experience been like?

I have only attended Idyllwild Summer Arts Music Festival in southern California. It's only 2 weeks, the tuition for college students is $400 (maybe $450 now?), including room and board. The only downside is if you make the orchestra, you will most likely play only one piece for the entire 2 weeks, or if you don't make the orchestra you are stuck in a gigantic wind ensemble, usually at least 3 to a part. However Larry Livingston, who is the conductor of the USC orchestra, is a warm, personable, knowledgeable, and inspiring leader. [url]http://www.idyllwildarts.org/summer/programs/youth_arts_center/youth_arts_center_music.html#festorch[/url]
I would suggest Idyllwild for younger musicians in their first few years of college. It's a beautifully wooded mountainous area in a cabin-like campus. 2 full rehearsals a day, including group warm-ups in the morning, sectionals, and private lessons.
mjevans

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not go wrong with Blue Lake or Interlochen. The oly advice with Blue Lake is that I would check the section you are attending for the trumpet instructor.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: