• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Summer Music Camps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renewing my recommendation for...
BCMW - Brass Chamber Music Workshop
http://www.humboldt.edu/brass/

1 or 2 Weeks of reading brass music morning, noon and night with performances every evening. The coaches are terrific. They sponsor an annual brass music composition competition and submissions go into their extensive library so there's always new and exciting music to play.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
butltr01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a couple summer music festivals in the past, and each one has been an absolute highlight of my life. Even if you don't particularly have professional aspirations for music (smart choice), always highly worth it.

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I apologize in advance if I don't cover everything, or derp the hell out and write something idiotic.

Marrowstone Music Festival- 2 weeks
Spent three summers there when I was a teen. Absolutely amazing. Two orchestras, lots of chamber music, plus Bellingham's a really cool town. Mostly geared for high schoolers (quasi summer thing for the Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestras). College age kids attend on fellowship as interns I think, but they actually audition with the rest of the students and play in the orchestras (unlike Interlochen).

Interlochen- 6 weeks
Changed my life. Expensive. I can't say anything else that hasn't already been said about it though.

Chosen Vale- 2 weeks
Also changed my life. It really speaks for itself. You spend two weeks living with trumpet LEGENDS (Stevens, Gould, Hardenberger, Carroll, the list goes on and on...), and about 40 other unbelievable players from all around the globe. Largely masterclass and seminar based. Gorgeous location.

Bay View- 8 weeks
Excellent experience. Better for Brass musicians, and vocalists. For brass musicians, a new thing at the festival is the Spectrum Brass Seminar. Spectrum Brass is sort of the resident Brass Quintet. Largely centered on chamber music (brass quintet), ran out of time fuuuuuuuuuuu
One of my favorite memories from the festival. Soooo much god damn fun:

Regards,
Tryg

Bach 37ML (70,xxx)
Bach 229CL (modified by Charles Butler)
Courtois C Cornet
jboertmann

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Camps Reply with quote

Lake Sammish Music camp
lakesammishmusiccamp.org is a great fine arts camps for grades 5-12 and works well with all ability levels.

Icicle Creek Summer Symphony
icmc.org is a great orchestral camp and offers a little more rigorous experience.
Mattbittles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Music Camps Reply with quote

Birch Creek is a camp I went to back in high school. There are 2 jazz sessions in late july early august. The teachers there are some of the best around and the layout of the camp lends itself to learning a lot in 2 weeks. Every day starts with a warm up on your instrument with a teacher, big band, combo class, masterclass on your instrument, faculty performance, and student concerts. There are also teachers that are in college which is nice when your in high school to bridge the gap between high school students and college professors
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Aebersold 2014 Reply with quote

Four from Iowa City are going to week 2 of the 2014 Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshop. All of us are "of a certain age" that is much closer to first Social Security check than first driver's license.

1963 Connstellation
MFaddicted
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: $$$ Reply with quote

SOME are about the $$$
Some are truly about the kids and the music.
do your research!
seth.jansen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafael Mendez Brass Institute is wonderful camp with great faculty and plenty of opportunities for scholarships.

http://www.mendezbrassinstitute.com/
seth.jansen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great summer festival for trumpet studios to attend together is Orvieto Musica in Italy.

http://www.orvietomusica.org/
BrucknerTheTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usdan Center for the Creative and Performing Arts is a great place for young musicians to come together to study under the tutelage of highly qualified professionals who are dedicated to creating a rewarding and enriching experience. Ensembles are fairly competitive, but not so much as to discourage a developing player. Check it out below...

www.usdan.com

-Sammy Nestico
jkhoward99

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNCG Summer Music Camp is an incredible camp. It as such a fun and educating camp. Defiantly worth the price! Very organized by the staff. Defiantly my first choice.

"To play without passion is inexcusable!"​
-Ludwig van Beethoven
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Aebersold 2014 Reply with quote

conn53victor wrote:
Four from Iowa City are going to week 2 of the 2014 Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshop. All of us are "of a certain age" that is much closer to first Social Security check than first driver's license.

Very cool, Jim! Last I heard trumpet faculty for that particular week will have Randy Brecker with us for at least part of the week plus Shew, Rotondi, Banks, Ketch, Symer and me there all week. Looking forward to a great hang.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston Brass Summer Intensive in Laramie, Wyoming at the University of Wyoming. Geared towards college students in a chamber music environment (brass quintets and larger ensembles) with close interaction and guidance from the members of Boston Brass. It's a great time!

http://www.uwyo.edu/music/boston_brass.html
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanford Jazz Workshop excellent Camp

https://stanfordjazz.org/

Best,

Jon

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
SilentBang

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtis Summerfest-
3 weeks
Just went there this past summer. Amazing experience. The camp is geared towards orchestra and chamber music. There were student and faculty concerts every week, as well as masterclasses and chamber coachings. In my chamber group we probably worked with 5 or 6 different coaches while we were there. The actual classes I took there were really great and eye opening about non trumpet stuff like composers and music history. The only downside I can think of is the price.

http://summerfest.curtis.edu/
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach at New England Music Camp. It is a phenomenal program, at 3- or 6-week intervals, in Sydney, ME, right on a lake with sailboats, kayaking, etc. We are looking at a VERY low turnover rate for next year, but can probably accommodate a few more trumpet students, especially our first session.

Our top band and orchestras are both playing at a very high level. This last year, the orchestra did Lincoln Portrait, Poet and Peasant Overture, Overture to 1812, Fanfare for the Common Man, Aida, Pines of Rome, and plenty of other works with challenging trumpet parts. It's a side-by-side learning program, so the orchestral and band sections see me or Drew Wilmott (the other trumpet teacher) for quite a bit more time per day than any other camp, a more apprenticeship sort of environment.

This was my first summer and easily one of the best professional environments of my life. We have orchestral players from all over the country, Louisiana Philharmonic, Toledo Symphony, Virginia Symphony, college faculty from F1 research schools, Broadway people, you name it. And we all get along and for the most part are even close friends, which is rare at the institutional level.

There are scholarships and work-study available. I should add that I am more than happy to do a Skype or FaceTime session with anybody interested to get a sense for how I teach.

Feel free to PM me for more information. Happy to talk.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rafael Mendez Brass Institute (July 9-15) at the University of Denver will feature the Summit Brass and The Denver Brass. Trumpet faculty this summer included Ronald Romm, Karin Bliznik, John Marchiando, Alan Hood, and myself.

This is open to all brass players. The audition is only for purposes of determining ensemble assignments (same age and ability groups). High school students can attend, too.

Daily master classes, career seminars, ensemble coaching, etc. are done, and private lessons can be scheduled with any faculty desired. Considering that the Mendez family provides a $500 scholarship for each attendee, it is a very affordable bargain!

Dave Hickman
Hudson08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently learned of Jim Thompson's newest project: a summer institute for the, shall we say, "seasoned" players looking for a challenging/inspiring playing environment. If you listen to "The Other Side of the Bell" podcast hosted by Bob Reeves/John Snell, you can hear Jim himself give more detail on this project. It sounds like an amazing experience and, having done week-long workshops with Thompson before, I can say for sure that you will come away from his teaching with fresh ideas and perspectives, certainly nothing less than inspired. He is an amazingly brilliant man, teacher and performer.

It isn't geared for the young bucks out there looking to get their start, but for the 40+ crowd looking to keep learning, I don't think it'd get better than this.

More details here: http://summer.esm.rochester.edu/course/eastman-trumpet-retreat-at-keuka/
tschendel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this information.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 1-2 week camps in the Maryland area?
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 Rafael Mendez Brass Institute is perfect for advanced high school and up brass players. July 8-14 at the University of Denver.

www.MendezBrassInstitute.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: