• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Aperture Tunnel (Achieving Maximum Resonance)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Aperture Tunnel (Achieving Maximum Resonance) Reply with quote

Pops,

I just happened to read the post What does the lower lip do? and saw your link to the fantastic article about the Aperture Tunnel. Your 3D pictures gave me an opportunity to describe the experience that I had about two years ago.

I posted (both here and on TPIN) in a topic called Developing an Internal Sound Concept (Clarity & Intensity) about an Epiphany that I had related to sound production. In that post, I said,

Quote:

I have been thinking about what this most resonant sound "felt" like while I was playing. When I achieve my normal resonant sound, I feel like vibration is occurring in a roughly cylindrical shape (lip stuff) around my aperture and is about the diameter of a pencil. When I experienced this most resonant sound it was as if the entire cylindrical shape had grown (to literally the inner diameter of the mouthpiece - "plug" shaped), and absolutely everything was vibrating inside the mouthpiece (much more lip stuff). Essentially, the mass of the vibrating medium (my lip stuff) had at least doubled (maybe more). This increased vibration led to a much stronger, clearer, more resonant signal. There was just so much more trumpet sound content to work with!

Based on your 3D pictures of the embouchure, I drew my own sketches to expand on your idea. When I was in school I would characterize my concept of sound production as more muscular in nature, with a good deal of tension in many of the major contributors to sound (breathing and corners). My response was not very good (especially at soft dynamic levels) and flexibility exercises were always challenging. I used a great deal of flow rate to achieve my sound (David Krauss says, “it’s common to work too hard and make the aperture accept more air than it needs to respond based on excessive movement").

In Figures A and B, I showed your 3D-side view of the aperture tunnel. I added in the “quality” of the vibration, where the dark sections are vibrating more completely than the rest of the “lip stuff”. I would say that my aperture tunnel slowly grew over the years, but never made it to its full potential because of tension. The dark “air filter” shape represents the amount of resonance that I was achieving and the large arrow represents that amount of flow rate to keep my sound working:

Through a great deal of reading and experimenting, I found that breath attacks helped me to increase the length of my aperture tunnel as well as dramatically improving response. Reading “Song and Wind” and working with some great instructors helped me to address the tension issues that I had in my breathing. Sitting beside great sounds helped to instill the internal sound concept that I desired as well as finding the resonant center of the instrument.

In Figure C, I’ve represented the transition that I made via breath attacks and reduction of tension, which shows I’m playing to the resonant center of the sound, but the quality of the vibration needs a lot of work. By targeting the quality of the vibration through glissandos (Jim Thompson) and some pedal work in combination with a vivid internal sound image, I feel like I’m moving to Figure D (less air is required and the sound really gets out into the hall). It's always possible to find more center in the sound (implying improved vibration quality)!

I have represented my Epiphany as Figure E. I compare this to what I hear from Charlie Schlueter, James Thompson, and Mr. Herseth. Literally everything is vibrating and I achieved my most resonant sound (maximum resonance). I consider the phrases that I have found since last summer to reinforce this idea:

From David Krauss:
…consider playing less loud and more resonant…

From James Thompson:
Get the resonance and don’t push the volume. The louder you play it just doesn’t work.

From Marcel Tabuteau:
The louder you play, the less it carries! In my opinion, the quality that carries is the amplification of the dolce tone.

I wanted to share this with you, because I was really excited when I saw your article. I know that to get back to the epiphany sound that I experienced requires that my mind conceive a great sound with clarity and intensity. I’m finding it increasingly more possible to get close to this sound after hearing the effortless sound production that so many players demonstrated in Denver last summer at the ITG conference. Now it’s only a matter of time.

It’s nice to have a picture of what I experienced!

Take care,
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Derek - great essay, with illustration!

I just re-read an article by Thomas More (ITG Journal june 2003, page 66-67) called: Where Do the Harmonics Come From?

Some of what you and Pops say (about the 3 D properties of the embouchure, etc.), go well togehter with Moore's article. Here is a quote about resonance:

Quote:
As most brass players know, the tension in the lips, combined with the air pressure produced by the lungs, makes the lips vibrate at the correct pitch. When the horn is correctly played the tension in the lips is increased by contracting the lip muscles. The natural resonances of the horn then force the lip movement to include the higher harmonics, and the lips have a very complicated movement when opening and closing, producing a full, rich tone.

When the tension is increased by pinching the lips together, however, the resonances of the horn are not as efficient in producing lip movement. Therefore, while the artist can play the fundamental pitch quite well, the harmonics are not efficiently generated in the horn. That is, due to the pinching action the lip movement become less complicated and the sound becomes less interesting. Therefore, a good trumpet player will increase the lip tension by contracting the muscles around the mouth rather than pinching the lips together.

For maximum resonance, let the horn play the lips rather than the lips play the horn.

The whole article is here: http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/2003journal/0306science.pdf

Ole
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ole,

Quote:

For maximum resonance, let the horn play the lips rather than the lips play the horn.

For me this was a huge leap of faith that I wasn’t able to take until my epiphany experience. Letting go and handing over the control of sound production to something other than my conscious mind has taken months (even years) before I’m now finally comfortable with it. The statement I quoted above from the article by Thomas Moore is very concise, but to allow myself to achieve this required faith on a very grand scale!

Thanks for posting that reference. I’ll have a look at it this weekend, but the good thing for me is that I’m done analyzing, and I’m “experiencing” more and more of this resonance every time I pick up the horn.

Hope all is going well for you.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great diagrams.

Yes tension and mouthpiece pressure hinder the usefulness of the longer aperture tunnels.

Once you have made a long aperture tunnel when you add pressure it seals shut and you feel choked off.

The use of lots of tension and pressure is what makes it so hard for people to move towards embouchures that promote the long aperture tunnel idea. (Stevens, Superchops and all of the off shoots.) They simply choke off the air supply and the sound by making the lips too stiff and squeezing the tunnel shut with pressure. It takes 1/4 or less pressure to hurt the sound when using the long tunnel as it does when using a more open aperture.

BTW you owe me 25 cents for the use of the phrase aperture tunnel
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
dcstep
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.

I'm fortunate to be working directly with Pops, so I can clearly experience what he's demonstrating. I can also attest that pressure will wreck a tunnel very easily.

My epiphany came from meeting Rich Szabo. I can't remember what led to it, but he demonstrated his embouchure to me by buzzing a mpc and showing me how as he went up his lips extended away from the teeth, lengthening the tunnel. Seeing Rich's lips at work brought real clarity to the concept for me. These diagrams by Pops and Derek are a wonderful substitute for those that will never meet Rich Szabo.

Dave
Bach 229 C, with Blackburn leadpipe, Tanabe mods
Lawler TL cornet with Sparx mpc
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linking this picture by Kalijah to this folder.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand this.

<As most brass players know, the tension in the lips, combined with the air pressure produced by the lungs, makes the lips vibrate at the correct pitch.>

<For maximum resonance, let the horn play the lips rather than the lips play the horn.>

Aren't these two statements contradictory?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Billy, you're saying tension in the lips doesn't help?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problem reconciling the two statements. Too much (or possibly too little) tension in the lips can cause the lips to be out of phase with the horn. It still doesn't change the fact that the lips vibrate in response to the standing wave inside the trumpet, rather than causing that wave.

The trumpet still plays the lips.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the trumpet plays the lips thing. But something happens around F over high C and I lose everything. Any thoughts?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCool wrote:
I get the trumpet plays the lips thing. But something happens around F over high C and I lose everything. Any thoughts?

Somewhere up there around high G the feedback system changes.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
I don't have any problem reconciling the two statements.

That's the way I looked at it; imagine that!

I was always told the feedback system changes (from closed tube to open tube, resulting in no slotting and low volume) above A over high C, and this is why that A is called "double A." Above that the volume is about the same as the buzzing of your lips, and the trumpet would no longer play the lips, entirely changing the charactistics of the instrument.
This is true of older horns, most notably Bach. Today there are some horns that slot (and keep a closed tube w/ feedback) higher.

Ray
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's my solution to get a sound around high G and higher since the feedback system has changed. I'm not trying to be a dick here and create a major debate. I have read up on the acoustical properties of the horn and player relationship, but have not been able to translate it to the horn. I just hit a wall.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCool wrote:
So what's my solution to get a sound around high G and higher since the feedback system has changed. I'm not trying to be a dick here and create a major debate. I have read up on the acoustical properties of the horn and player relationship, but have not been able to translate it to the horn. I just hit a wall.

Some good players in Austin, they can hear you play and help work out this challenge.

You know, a high G is nice.....you get much work above that?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not much work over G, but if you can turn that F into a G or A that's gravy. The horn shouldn't be preventing you, although resistance can change.
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I understand the mechanics and the seemingly obvious logics of it, but what I don't get is the physicality of it. How am I supposed to make my lips thicker?

I have the same problem around High G, but am slowly working it out (although prograss has been slooow.

healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is out of one of my books.

When we play there is a vibration setup in the air in the tubing of the trumpet. And that vibration is responsible for the sound that we hear.

How does that vibration start?
If we wrap our lips around the leadpipe and blow all we get is a hiss. We can hear the air move but there is no vibration or tone. So then the lips have a part to play in this.

Players who do NOT free buzz need to get feedback in order to produce a trumpet sound. This feedback is from the return of the wave form that they blew into the mouthpiece. They blew air through the lips it met some resistance and some of it returned to the lips adding a slight amount of back pressure to all of the lip surface. This helped them to complete their buzz and a note was produced.

The resistance that sent the wave form back is actually from multiple sources:

1. The bottom of the mouthpiece cup
2. The mouthpiece throat
3. The mouthpiece backbore
4. The ambient air pressure in the horn
5. The taper in the leadpipe
6. The soft boundary at the end of the bell

What does the feedback actually do?
Well it closes the lip aperture enough to force a buzz to happen.

How does that affect trumpet playing?
From low g to g on top of the staff it has little affect. As you ascend from g on the staff up it requires more and more feedback to make the buzz. There is a point where the mouthpiece and the horn can NOT add enough feedback for the range to go up any more. The player resorts to feedback in the form of arm strength and mouthpiece to lip pressure to close the aperture. Now the problem begins. Endurance, tone, range and everything else is hampered. Depending on your setup and playing requirements this problem can range from minor to very serious.

That is the problem. Everyone who tells you about open apertures etc always explain how it works in the low register. They NEVER explain how MOUTHPIECE PRESSURE makes the embouchure for all notes above the staff. This use of pressure limits range, reduces endurance and sometimes ruins the lip muscle.

Why free buzz the lips?
If the lips already have a small enough aperture that you can buzz then NO feedback is needed. That includes arm strength and mouthpiece to lip pressure. I want to state for the record that there are people who can free buzz a high c and many can even free buzz a double high c. However the ability to free buzz a middle c means that there is less need for pressure. The higher ones are just gravy as it were. There is always a point where the lips need some feedback. But if that happens over high c then that player has one heck of a lot of endurance.

Although it is hard to break old habits and learn to free buzz; that ability makes playing the trumpet easier.

Is it for everybody?
Well if you are happy with your endurance then it may not be worth the effort to you to learn this. If you have playing concerns then it is worth the effort.

Some people will buzz easier in a smile embouchure and some in a lip overlapping embouchure so they try to adopt it. This false buzzing does not help. It really needs to be the same embouchure that you actually play.

Most players who have limited themselves because of embouchure end up with 4 and sometimes 5 different types of embouchures that they use.

They have a:
1) Lip buzzing embouchure,

2) A pedal tone embouchure (meaning they can NOT play pedals with the normal setting),

3) The real embouchure (low c - g on top of the staff).

4) A shifted setting when several high notes are played in a row (they will take a breath here and reset the chops) and finally some even have an
5) I'm tired setting that they play.

It is easy to start this type of thing and is also very deceiving as these changes are used to help in times of stress. You are not watching yourself and you are working your rump off to play. NOT constantly checking to see if you are playing only one setting.

There are several scenarios that can be seen here.

1) For some they remember the need to take a breath to accomplish a register change. It is a chance to complete the embouchure shift. Thousands of people do this without knowing that it is a shift. This limits your overall playing.

Why can they play some lead charts well and others don't come out right? Some songs don't have breaks in the places needed for the embouchure shift to take place. They change registers too often or too fast. This works both ways a low setting not hitting the top notes and a high setting not allowing the lower notes to sound.

2) For some there is a consistent but limited range. They play great from low g to around high c or d. (I've seen some stall out at g on top of the staff). For some reason no matter who they take lessons from or how much they practice the range never really changes. This is really the same as player 1 only he has not picked up the squeal setting yet.

3) This player is fine except the playing time is always limited. However if high playing is involved then the time is shorter.

4) This player has a real problem with endurance. Some days with the right warm up he can play fine. But other days if the warm up was wrong the time limit is 20 - 30 minutes. If he pushes for it the next day is bad. If he misses a couple of days he is lost.

Players 3 & 4 will sometimes talk about pumping up the chops. And if they are pumped they play differently than normal. They can feel yesterdays playing still affecting the lips 12, 24, sometimes 48 hours later. This is not pumping up it is swelling caused by bruising the lips.

Player 4 is different in that he has to keep a certain amount of swelling in the top lip to play at all. That's why a weekend off leads to a bad day or two. They sometimes make a lump, knot, or flap swell up to get the lips to buzz.

These are alike in that they are all using an open aperture embouchure setting. They are not making the lips touch always. Some like player 1 cheat by means of an embouchure shift. Player 2 accepts it and lives with it. Both 3 & 4 use mouthpiece pressure to control the lip aperture.

The lip aperture is a result of the air. You start off with the lips close and touching. A rush of air forces them apart and forms an aperture. The muscle tension tries to restore the normal touching and a vibration is set up.

If the lips are apart before the air is delivered then pressure is used to make the lips close. The rim of the mouthpiece presses the soft lip muscles into the teeth and continues to press until they are flattened out and finally touch.

How did this start?
Well some players part the lips when they take a breath. Others part them as they place the mouthpiece. They stick the tongue through the lips to moisten the lips and mouthpiece rim. The problem is they don't make a mental effort to close the lips before the mouthpiece pins them in place.

What is the cure for all of these problems?
BUZZING.

Not with the mouthpiece but just the lips. It is 4 times harder. The mouthpiece is a crutch it cuts the vibrating surface of the lip in half and adds feedback. The portion under the rim and outside of the mouthpiece can't buzz. Think about a guitar string when only half can vibrate the sound is an octave higher. Also the mouthpiece adds some back pressure from the backbore and throat bore. This helps to increase resistance so you can play higher. When you buzz your lips the entire surface gets a workout. That is why it strengthens your chops faster than playing. (This is an exercise to learn a closed lip setting. This is NOT a life long practice.) Also no mouthpiece means no mouthpiece pressure. That means no swelling, pain, damage...

Lastly some players can not buzz their lips because they use too open an embouchure. They depend on mouthpiece pressure to flatten out the lips and push them together in order to play. These players need to make the lips touch.

When using a visualizer you try to buzz as you normally play and check several things. You can see your aperture as it is created by blowing the lips apart. You can see if your aperture is centered or if it is way off. You can see if you have a cushion or not, pinched lips, lips collapsing into the mouthpiece and other things. And when you stop buzzing you can see if your embouchure is touching or if you use pressure to close the gap.

----------

----------

So while the horn CAN play the lips as we play higher it starts to lose that ability and gets weaker finally giving us nothing.

The lips on the other hand can ALWAYS play the horn.

If we control the mouthpiece then we control the horn. The trumpet is ONLY an amplifier. Play the mouthpiece off pitch center and the tone suffers. As we get higher and higher notes the ones we can mouthpiece buzz are the ones that we can play musically 100% of the times.

Want to play higher then start mouthpiece buzzing high notes.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
Watkins

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCool wrote:
Quote:

Go see Ray Sasaki at UT or Larry Schmidt in San Antonio. He teaches at Boerne Middle School, is a great player and teacher-he taught Craig Morris, and has improved range for tons of players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: