• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What happened in R/P?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: What happened in R/P? Reply with quote

I missed it.
ward42
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet356 called Larry Smithee a hypocrite and they felt that was reason enough to put the forum on ice. I once complained to the mods because someone was blatantly calling me names and flame bating, and basically they told me to stop whining. The bias is clear, it can't be ignored.
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no moderator, but mainly had to do with the affirmative action post and others as I see it. I try to be as objective as I can in that forum, but religion and politics are bound to raise tempers. As of now, the moderation of the R/P forum is in question by various members, so chances are things will be evaluated in full in the near future.
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Forum Lockdown. It sounds like we're in prison!
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R&P forum needed rest. You had to venture in with very thick skin. Most debates ended long ago and there was very little civility left. I stopped or extremely limited my posting there a while ago. It didn't seem like any one wanted to exchange ideas only agendas.. sad, like most good things, people can't put their pride aside long enough to know that if they abuse it, it's going to be taken away.

Besides it didn't help calling a moderator a "Nazi"... silly, talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I have even had disagreements with mods but it was always in private and although we often agreed to disagree, they had their finger on the button, so I'd settle at leaving it alone. Obviously some people don't have that capacity and made issues public.

The P&R forum became a rant fest of who they hated at the moment rather than a place to debate ideas.

To TH, thanks for the P&R ride, it was fun while it lasted. (well most of it was fun anyway) [/url]
lewis4545
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped (or severely limited) posting to the R/P forum a while ago, as I grew tired of the negative energy it generated in me. My blood pressure is high enough already...I don't need any more "stimuli" to increase it further. I'm much more comfortable in the other forums, talking about horns, performers and recordings. It's much more fun IMHO.

"This world is a circus, so you have to do serious things with a light heart."
- John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope they open R/P soon; we have important topicsto discuss!
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conspiracy theory time - having seen the mud-slinging that occurred between the assorted politically motivated posters around the time of the US election, the powers-that-be decided that they wouldn't allow the hordes of UK-based Thers to take command of the forum in an all-out "discussion" on the matter of the UK general election that is currently having it's result calculated.

Yes, this post is very much tongue in cheek
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

You might be right. Y'all would probably be all over the R/P forum exchanging ideas and being polite and everything ... saying odd stuff like "I see your point" and "I hadn't considered that" and "You might be right" ... can't have that!
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point you could be right I had not considered the possibility of such events we could discuss the usage of correct grammar, whilst conversing about politics also
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried going to other R&P forum sites, but...it just ain't the same.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badebop wrote:

Hey badebop,

I'm curious -- what's the difference you see between our R/P forum and the others you've visited?

Besides, of course, the fact that, at present, you only get to read my stuff here ...
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't they delete the R/P forum if it's really gone? There's no point keeping the old threads is there? or is this more like R/P posters "GO TO YOUR ROOM AND THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A WHILE?"
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohanapecosh wrote:
Why don't they delete the R/P forum if it's really gone? There's no point keeping the old threads is there? or is this more like R/P posters "GO TO YOUR ROOM AND THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A WHILE?"

I think you're right; not sure though. I'd be happy to see the threads die out and then we can all step to the middle, shake hands and start fresh...before heading back to our smelly trenches.

What I miss most is the occasional good wit.
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
badebop wrote:

Hey badebop,

I'm curious -- what's the difference you see between our R/P forum and the others you've visited?

Well, just speaking from the religious side of it, I find the other forums are MUCH more caustic in their dialogue, MUCH more bizarre in their arguments, and it's evident they really don't know what they're talking about. One can't really carry on a sane dialogue. It's just absurd what they come up with. On TH we may have our heated differences, but we're much more knowledgable about our topics and for the most part our reasoning is much more rational.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep down inside I knew the fraternity of trumpeters had a much higher than average IQ quotient than the general public. Our resolve alone to conquering this beast called the trumpet speaks volumes. Thanks for validating that.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis4545 wrote:
I stopped (or severely limited) posting to the R/P forum a while ago, as I grew tired of the negative energy it generated in me. My blood pressure is high enough already...I don't need any more "stimuli" to increase it further. I'm much more comfortable in the other forums, talking about horns, performers and recordings. It's much more fun IMHO.

Can't say that I miss R/P much, it seems like folks just got out of hand and nasty for no good reason. I'm doing more of what lewis4545 is doing, getting back to the reason I started coming to this site - learning more about playing the trumpet.

Hope everyone is doing well in R/P rehab.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARB wrote:
lewis4545 wrote:

Can't say that I miss R/P much, it seems like folks just got out of hand and nasty for no good reason. I'm doing more of what lewis4545 is doing, getting back to the reason I started coming to this site - learning more about playing the trumpet.

Even though I also cut back the amount of posting I was doing in R/P, I miss it. After reading 6 1/2 pages of name calling, silliness and what have you in the "trumpet challenge" post here in Reveille before it finally turned positive on the last page, I'm having a hard time figuring out what was so much worse in R/P to lock it down. I hope the mods unlock R/P soon.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best."
Frank Zappa
trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumplyr wrote:
ARB wrote:
lewis4545 wrote:

Even though I also cut back the amount of posting I was doing in R/P, I miss it. After reading 6 1/2 pages of name calling, silliness and what have you in the "trumpet challenge" post here in Reveille before it finally turned positive on the last page, I'm having a hard time figuring out what was so much worse in R/P to lock it down. I hope the mods unlock R/P soon.

Before we get too "misty-eyed" about the loss of R&P, let's just remember: if it comes back, it isn't going to be any different. While much can be learned in this forum (I reluctantly have to admit Miles58 opened my eyes about World-wide oil consumption, for example), the dynamics won't change. You'll have guys presenting their arguments, others countering them, until often one side realizes all or part of their premise is full of holes. It's at this point one finds out that too many posters are not presenting their ideas in Good Faith. It's also at this point that the name calling usually ensues (unless it's one of the Far Left posting; the name calling is usually found in the first item of the thread).

Memories are often too short around here. It hasn't been that long ago when (for an example of "bad faith" posting) there was a guy who posted an article from some lame left blog (I believe), and just started getting hammered for the hateful nonsense contained in his article. At this point he had the GUTS to say something to the effect that "I didn't say *I* believed the article; I just thought it was interesting." Nice cop-out. Just admit you're wrong and move on. And maybe gain a little respect from the other side while you're at it. But no, you'll rarely find that quality in R&P.

Quote:
Can't say that I miss R/P much, it seems like folks just got out of hand and nasty for no good reason.

Sometimes this is true, and sometimes those on the receiving end perceive it that way when their premise, or suspect information, is attacked. Another example of why you'll never have a good-natured exchange of political viewpoints on this site: I remember one poster that was really going after one of the good kids on this site, about racial tolerance (not having a clue as to how she dealt with folks in her daily life):
Quote:
Quote:
It's [the topic of racism]discussed [in high school classrooms] to the point of making me feel guilty about being white...
You don't need to feel guilty, just compassionate and understanding.

Thanks for the browbeating! But the poster went on:
Quote:
......it’s believed that 100,000,000 slaves died in the Middle Passage, so many that sharks would follow the slave ships to feed on the bodies of the dead slaves thrown overboard.

When confronted with the fact that this number COULD NOT POSSIBLY BE RIGHT, the poster threw out a few lame items, then left the scene. Never to be heard from again on such an important topic (and slavery - the Worldwide fact of life for most of Human history, is an important subject - let's just get the facts straight.) I guess making up facts is the way some on the Left drum up support for whatever it is they're selling.

(Note: From the early 1600's through late 1800's, TOTAL slave trading to the Americas - both North and South, is estimated between 11-14 Million. For 100 million slaves to have died on this passage, that would mean, approximately, for every 11 boats that took off for the Americas, TEN SUNK! Day in, day out, for almost 300 years! Does this sound even REMOTELY possible??)

No, unfortunately, the Far Left deals in emotions and feelings, and if "facts" sound good to them, they'll adopt them, regardless of their correlation to reality. So, when these "facts" get attacked, instead of learning from the experience and adopting the truth, much of the Far Left just enters "victim"-mode. Hence the need for TH Affirmative Action policies for the Far Left. Too much pain for some of our trumpet-playing brethren otherwise.

The Mods, in their wisdom, probably made the right decision. Unlock R&P, and they'll again have a bunch of defenseless Lefties ambling towards the slaughterhouse.
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we need some "Minutemen" to keep an eye on things?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: