• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How High Notes Are Produced.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to make sure that I understand Claude Gordon and what I think I’ve learned
from his books.

So here is the secret to how high notes are produced (Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect)

The tongue controls the pitch (that’s why Claude says that the tongue is the secret to
trumpet playing in his “Brass playing is no harder than deep breathing” book) So the
higher you go the more you have to blow so that the lips will vibrate faster. But we
understand that the lips alone aren’t producing the pitch just the tone. The tongue is
producing the higher pitch. And that’s why in the “Brass playing is No harder than deep
breathing” book Claude Gordon says to “place the lips where it produces the best
vibration”.

So because of all this Claude Gordon has his students mainly doing breath support
exercises and lip slurs in his SA book. Because those type of exercises is what helps
everything come together.

So go ahead and correct me. I’m just trying to learn and understand what I’m doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
So the
higher you go the more you have to blow so that the lips will vibrate faster.

Claude never said anything like this George. It's best to dismiss this type of thinking from your mind while practicing. Your lips do vibrate and that's it. Attempting to control the vibration will not help you. You really just have to bulid the machine naturally with consistant and intelligent practice.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
On 2002-08-04 01:36, EBjazz wrote:
Quote:

So the
higher you go the more you have to blow so that the lips will vibrate faster.

Claude never said anything like this George. It's best to dismiss this type of thinking from your mind while practicing. Your lips do vibrate and that's it. Attempting to control the vibration will not help you. You really just have to bulid the machine naturally with consistant and intelligent practice.

Eb

Yeah I know Claude Never said anything like that. That's just what I thought. Because from I read I did find out that lips must vibrate. And I just figured that they needed to vibrate faster the higher you go since that's what it seems like when i play.

Also I know that you develpe that stuff with practice but It would also be nice to know what I'm doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: