• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kindergarten Trumpet Talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retired in June after 34 years as a music ed teacher. My last 13 were in an arts magnet elementary school. I taught band/violin and classroom music. My classroom music was with Kdg. to Grade 2. I did instrumental with grades 3-5. Some of the funniest moments were usually with the kindergartners. You never knew what was going to come out of their mouths. I always came home with stories to tell my wife about the funny things they would say and do. Some friends have suggested I write a book sort of like Teacher Man by Frank McCourt.
We had an intern for a year who was pursuing a music ed career. He had been a voice major and his original degree was in performance. He regularly sat in on my classes and my teaching partner next door. He had a spiral notebook that he was always writing in. We always assumed he was writing down things that related to what we were teaching that particular day. Turns out he was writing down many of the funny things that the kids would say or do. When he left he compiled all of this into a little book for us. It was hysterical!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught elementary music for 5 out of my 17 years. As an itinerant (3 days one school 2 days another) I was assigned to teach all the kindergartens and it turned out to be my farorite thing. I did often bring a trumpet and do some of the things that you all did. i would suggest a Hoseophone demonstration and maybe a digereedo. They love silly and gross noises and it would give them a chance to participate. (bring some mouthpiece spray.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: