• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mystery to Mastery

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Mystery to Mastery Reply with quote

Have anyone tried the book Mystery to Mastery ?

On the website ( http://www.mysterytomastery.com ) you can read this:

Quote:
The Only NO MYSTERY Guide To
Trumpet Mastery.

A fully demonstrated Step-by-Step guide to Trumpet Mastery,
for the beginner, teacher and professional.

What makes me suspicious is the text "The Only" ....

I saw a note aboute it from someone here on TH recently. Perhaps he/she could share some more views? Others?

What is specific with the method? (.. that makes it "the only"..?)

Ole
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OJ,

I haven't tried it but it is written by James Morrison - who is an outstanding trumpet player. He has also mastered several other instruments such as: sax, Drums, Keyboards and trombone - where he does multiphonics. So, maybe the method has some validity. It would be interesting to get some feedback from someone who has used it.

Mike
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By James Morrison?

It says Greg Spence (just look at the website). James Morrison is one of the famous endorsers. Another is Allen Vizzutti.

From the website, I can see that is very much about using the AIR. (There are 3 PDF downloads from the book). Of course a good thing (using proper AIR support) - Golden rule # 1 says:
Air support results from good airflow, not from tension in the muscles

Ole
robbie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OJ,
Trptbenge is right,this guy is a very good, and well respected player.he's australian so maybe some of the aussies on the th can help with this one.i for one would be interested in the feedback.

Robbie.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm an Aussie but I've never come across him. That actually doesn't mean a lot because I haven't played there for a long while and never as a professional. A quick google search shows up a Greg Spence who plays trumpet and has backed some international acts (according to the biography)..also does some small ensemble work as well. Perhaps one of the pros who looks at the TH can get more background.

Allans is a well respected music publisher in Australia.

Regards,

Trevor
robbie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry OJ,
i just assumed it was written by morrison.never heard of Greg Spence though.

Robbie.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not start discussing James Morrison in this tread. I dont' think he would write a trumpet book. In his DVD, Scream Machine he talks a bit about his background. He was a natural and he started playing music at an early age and he plays a lot of different instruments. He was never into all the regular trumpet stuff (Arban, Clarke etc. etc.).

Mr. Spence has obviously read and studied a lot of methods and books. If you look at the new website, you will see that a major influence is Arnold Jacobs. Just read this quote:
Quote:
Understanding how to create WIND and how the body responds to WIND is the key to rapid improvement.

They keyword is WIND. They also sell "Wind products".

It seems that the first website they set up was here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/mysterytomastery/mysterytomasterybt.htm
(and the target was wider, two books, one for trumpet, one for trombone)

One simple question we should ask is this:
Have any of the endorsers used the method in their teaching?
(I'm pretty sure busy guys like Vizzutti and Morrison have not)

Ole
saltpot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done as bit of googling, and this is what I've come up with:

http://www.jazzalburywodonga.com/gigs/greg_spence_quintet_27_aug_2001.php

http://www.bluemts.com.au/concerts/shrewdbrass.htm

cheers

jody
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I am a friend of Gregs and have worked with him many times and can tell you a bit about him. First of all he is probably the most in demand lead/session player in Melbourne at the moment. While many of you may not know much about our fair city, we do have many fine trumpet players here! And he is also one of the most effective teachers I have seen , in terms of getting results. Greg wrote this method really out of his own desire to see some of the concepts he thinks are essential to good trumpet playing put down in writing, to help his students and others. It really is a labor of love for him. Let me reassure you that he is an extremely fine player in many styles, and a very honest person. I have taken some lessons from him (as have many working professionals out here)and he is fantastic. So I can vouch for both Greg and his book.
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmaxe,

Thanks. I sent a message via the website and only a few hours later, I got a reply. To add to what you said, here is a quote from Greg's message:
Quote:
I, the Author (Greg Spence) have studied Jaocbs material and spoken to some students of his but have not met him. I am a freelance commercial trumpet player who idolises players form Maurice and Rafael to Maynard and Bill Chase to Clifford and Lee Morgan.

The book has many different influence including Jacob, Gordon, Schlossberg, Colin, Caruso/Frink, Bill Adam and even a little Callet.

The reason that I compiled the book is that there is a lot of great information out there that is not common place and after years of searching answered the many questions that I had.

Combine this info with a demonstration from the first note and it answers a lot of common questions while destroying some brass playing myths that still linger, 100 years after they were born.

Based on what I have found out, I will now order the book.
(Hopefully the website will function properly now. It did not a few days ago when I tried to order.)

Ole
Timo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
I ordered the 5 free lessons that they promise to send by e-mail about a week ago. I have not received any post. Has anybody been lucky enough to receive those lessons? If someone has maybe I should try again.
Timo Paasonen
Greg Spence
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: M to M website problems Reply with quote

Hi Timo,

we had a major server malfunction which unfortunately disabled all email and website fuctions for 5 days. All is up and running now so it should be fine. I will be running some more checks today to make sure. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greg Spence
Mystery to Mastery Publishing
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I got the book today. I have read a bit in it this afternoon, but did note get time to listen to the CD (I had to go to a rehearsal).

So far: It looks very good!

I'll get back with more comments later. But first, I will try it out, listening to the CD and doing the exercises.

Ole
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I played through all exercises last night. They are IMO excellent and very to the point. The recording quality on the CD is superb and your playing is great. Really a good sound model!

As I said previous (see above), I will give more comments when I have checked it out for a longer period.

Ole

P.S.
I will now recommend it to a guy in UK (see a recent post in Fundamentals)
Greg Spence
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Mystery to Mastery Reply with quote

Thank you Ole.

we are getting extremely positive feedback. The book has now sold in Norway, Finland, Greece, France, New Zealand, the U.K and the U.S as well as being very well recieved here in Australia. We attribute this to feedback and comments from the I.T.G and players such as yourself.

We really appreciate you taking the timeout to send through your thoughts,

Best Wishes,

Greg Spence
Mystery to Mastery Publishing
jouko
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.
The site promises five free lessons. Nothing happened afterr I send my
e-mail. Server problems ?

Kindly Jouko M / Helsinki Finland
Greg Spence
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Mystery to Mastery Reply with quote

Hi Jouko,

I was assured only two days ago by my Web guy that all was running perfectly and I have recieved emails saying that the lessons are turning up. Honestly, I do not know what is happening and as he is in Paris until march so I will change the website to say we are having problems.

It is all new so I expect some teething problems.

Anyway, if you would like to email me at info@mysterytomastery.com, I will forward you the 5 PDF lessons all together. Sincere apologies about the inconvenience.

Kind Regards from Melbourne,

Greg Spence
Mystery to Mastery Publishing Australia
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

If you have the 5 lessons in PDF, why don't you just publish them on the web?

This solution will be better than..
Quote:
so I will change the website to say we are having problems.

Sending attachment via email can be a hassle. Some people have email accounts that will not accept attachments. But if they fill in the form and don't get the lessons they will be annoyed - not at the email system, but at you and your website. (Is this annoyance really worth it?)

In my opinion the CD and the book in combination is what people should go for. Listening to your great sound on the CD (copying it) is what will develop the student, not the exercises alone. (Of course reading and understanding the text in the book is also essential.)

What is important on the website is that the ordering form ("Click Here to Order") is working all the time.

Ole

P.S.
I was very impressed with the delivery service. 5 days after ordering it, I had the book in my hand! .. all the way from down under in Australia to up over in Norway ..
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a GREAT book, especially good for teaching younger students. The descriptions, approach, and layout is no-nonsense while "fun" at the same time.

romey
Big Bad Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Ok, I've had it for a while now and here's my take on Spence's book:

Are you interested in taking a quantum leap in your trumpet playing without churning through endless, unexplained exercises? Want the low-down from a demigod of the Melbourne/Australia trumpet scene, who isn't precious about his secrets of trumpet success?

Then this is your book! I love it! Such a 'no bull' guide to makin' it happen. 80 odd pages of distilled information, logically structured and well explained. You really should check it out!!

Sure, all those Arban, Vizzutti, et al, exercises are one thing, but how do you know if you're executing them properly?? Greg Spence has sifted through the 'what's hot and what's not' to produce a winner! This book gives meaning to 'perfect practice' - step by step explanations of what Greg wants you to look for as you practice, and what the benefit of it is. No wonder Morrison and Vizzutti love his work!!

I'm a returning trumpet player, having been distracted by the corporate world over the past 15 years. I started chattin' to a few people, looking for a step-by-step way of gettin' back into it and I reckon this is it! The CD, the book, the website... it's a one-stop shop for me and I love it! I've dusted off my large bore Bach and it seems really clear to me that Spence's M2M is a 'cut to the chase' solution for my ambitious goals.

Only problem is... if all you folks improve at the same rate as I am, I'll still be strugglin' to get a look-in with those 3 little pigs!

BBW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: