• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Starting a program - help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
76strad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Starting a program - help? Reply with quote

Hello all! It's been a few years since I have been on this forum, but it's the first place I thought of for some outside advice. I post a short overview of where i'm at below, and then below that some thoughts in general. Thanks for reading!

This past spring I graduated with my degree in music education. This past week I was hired at a charter school (my first teaching job) as their general music teacher. In addition to being the music teacher, the school is expecting me to try and start a band program. The school itself is a Charter school that is a little over 2 years old. Last year they were around 400 students, and this year they have peeked to over 800 students. Next school year they are expecting to be over 1000 students. The student body itself is very diverse also. The school itself supports grades 5-12.

There has been a jazz program that is taught by an outside third party. They have been coming to the school since it has opened and typically work with 8-12 students each year in a small jazz ensemble that meets twice a week after school. The organization provides kids with an instrument if they cannot afford to rent/purchase an instrument.

Many students, parents, and teachers have approached me and have asked when the school will have a band program. So there is a high interest within the school culture. Though a good number of students and parents told me they think the jazz band is neat, but the majority do not have an interest in being in the jazz band - rather a "regular band" as they say.

My thoughts:

The students come from backgrounds where even renting an instrument is a large cost that many of the students could not afford to do. Therefore, the school needs to have the instruments. I have to go through the means of writing requests for funding. That can be done through grant money the school receives, but there would be no telling when or if I would receive a substantial amount to purchase/rent instruments for the students. The other way is for me to seek out funds on my own. Before I do anything, I have to provide a plan as to what I want and why. Since there isn't anything to start out with (I literally have 2 keyboards and 2 drum sets) I was thinking about initially starting with a brass and percussion band. I feel as though limiting my scope due to funding and then expand out to more instruments/families when the program begins to become more established and grow larger in number is a good route to go.

I appreciate any input you all might have! Thank you.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in an interesting position. My would be:

1. Funding. If the school is going to fund a band program, great. If they are not, then you are in for a world of pain. Is this 'expectation' of running a band program in your contract? If not, then you need to get this part sorted out before you attempt anything.

2. Competing interests. There is already a program running the school. They need to come on board, and part of your program. Where I live, it runs along the lines of any kid within to be involved in the jazz / big band part of the ensemble program MUST be part of the concert band / orchestra. No exceptions. Plus, if this organisation can supply instruments to kids they are making money out of, try to get them to supply a few more of the bigger, expensive ones. (have a plan to absorb this program into yours in a few years, so you own i., not an outside bunch)

3. School expectations. They school needs to understand this takes years to get going, so they need to have some vision, and expect great things don the track, like in 5-10 years time. For now, an ensemble that makes recognisable melodies is an achievement they can be proud of.

If you get people on-side, then you need a plan. Is this an in class band program? extra-curricular? Recruitment? balancing the ensemble? sourcing music, stands, ever more percussion, etc. etc?

And get help. Admin, record keeping, follow communication, anything that gives you some more hours to plan and prepare to be out the front.

good luck!

cheers

Andy
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting situation.

The first thing you need is instruments. There might be an instrument donation program in your area - if there is, latch on to that.

I taught at a much smaller charter school and we started out with around 20 or so instruments and thus, 20 or so students - all in 4th and 5th grade. The instruments were all donated.

There is also potential expenditure in fixing donated instruments. They may not all arrive in playable condition.

This is a really big project at a fairly large school. What's the average size of each grade?

If the school expects you to start a Band program, are they providing you with funds to start this band program. Or do they expect you to conjure stands, instruments, and music on your own?

This is the sort of thing charter schools, with little arts experience, like to dump on new, young teachers with equally little practical experience (no offense intended). Why? It's a huge undertaking and I doubt you have any idea how consuming it might be. Frankly, I doubt they do, either.

I'm guessing you already have a huge general music load. Will any additional sections for band fit in there?

Well, have fun and don't loose your marbles. Don't bite off more than you can chew and don't let administrators just dump more duties on you than there is space for. Administrations like young, inexperienced teachers because they're more likely to just say "Sure" when they ask if they're willing to take on even more - because they don't know any better.

Good luck.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: