• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

So whats up with the "Duel"???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: So whats up with the "Duel"??? Reply with quote

Are John, Charly, TrickG and HisTrumpet going to have the big internet trumpet duel, or what?

I know that the mods pulled most of the threads, but does that mean the duel is off?

Chris
Bill Scott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew! I'd like to hear sound clips of all of these guys playing something fairly challenging. Right now though, TrickG is banned from the forum and John Mohan seems to have dropped out of sight. Maybe in a couple of weeks we'll know something?
There are two sides to a Trumpeter's personality: There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury. Then there's the Dark Side"
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John's still around. He posted to "THE LATEST NEWS - Moderators were overdoing it a bit" here in the lounge today.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
John's still around. He posted to "THE LATEST NEWS - Moderators were overdoing it a bit" here in the lounge today.

Indeed he did, despite the number of times he has said that it will be the last time he posts there
That has actually been quite an interesting thread to watch, once the anger calmed down.

The simple way to find out about the duel's current status would be to simply PM John
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should come up with a list of excerpts for them to record and post and we can all vote! Maybe have a TH proctor for each that lives nearby to verify the identity of the person recording (no ringers!). Now THAT would be fun!

Let's see....Ein Heldenleben, Parsifal, Mahler 3 Posthorn, Ravel Piano Concerto, lead sheet from some screaming Maynard chart, sight-reading some commercial stuff in a simulated LA studio setting...
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to hear each of them play the first four bars of the Star Wars theme, with no warm up. It should be their first playing of the day.

That should separete the men from the boys.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with clarino!

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:
I would like to hear each of them play the first four bars of the Star Wars theme, with no warm up. It should be their first playing of the day.

The first player in the community band I played in did this almost every rehearsa, since we were playing a Star Wars medley at the time and he was always late. I did it a couple times too; definitely was not fun...
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:
Quote:

Speaking of...I noticed the other day in the theater that they re-recorded the music for the opening of Episode 3. In the older films (4-6), the first high note was always noticeably sharp: daaa..daaaa...da.da.da..DAAAH (that one)..daa. Of course, in 1977 they didn't have editing software like we have now, so our ears are tuned to always expect perfection in recorded performances. But that's a whole different thread!
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to nip home and check the original recording that my Dad has about that sharp note (surely you are not suggesting that Maurice Murphy played out of tune?!) but I should point out that that first high note for the first trumpet is the very first note in the piece, which is why I suggested it.

Also, does anyone know if this is true? I heard recently that the first note is a C# not a C as I originaly thought. (on a Bb trumpet, that is Bnatural a opposed to Bb.) I was listening to a recording the other day, and it does sound sharper than a top C.
pitchlevel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first note in the first trumpet part is a Bb concert (high C on a B flat trumpet, not a B natural concert). started rehearsals today, doing the original williams/movie suite, not an arrangement.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:

I agree with Clarino, too!

John

P.S. The original duel rules were each player got to pick 3 pieces for a total of 6. That seems fair to me. Also, it is to be video files, not just sound files (that takes care of any "ringer" problems).

As for it ever happeneing... Charlie is on a Cruise Ship at the moment, I am finishing up my Final Exams and Research Paper writing for this Semester, TrickG (Patrick) is banned, and histrumpet is writing everything and anything negative about me he can think of or make up under several different troll-type names on at least two forums. I think he's too busy doing that to actually work up any music on his trumpet. Get it? his trumpet - histrumpet. Okay, it's not all that funny. I know.
ADziuk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I gotta say about this thread is.....

GO AHEAD PUNK. MAKE MY DAY!!!!

jcmacman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADziuk wrote:
All I gotta say about this thread is.....

GO AHEAD PUNK. MAKE MY DAY!!!!

Is that a Six shooter Bach your packin?

john

Elvis Presley
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

I agree with Clarino, too!

John

P.S. The original duel rules were each player got to pick 3 pieces for a total of 6. That seems fair to me. Also, it is to be video files, not just sound files (that takes care of any "ringer" problems).

As for it ever happeneing... Charlie is on a Cruise Ship at the moment, I am finishing up my Final Exams and Research Paper writing for this Semester, TrickG (Patrick) is banned, and histrumpet is writing everything and anything negative about me he can think of or make up under several different troll-type names on at least two forums. I think he's too busy doing that to actually work up any music on his trumpet. Get it? his trumpet - histrumpet. Okay, it's not all that funny. I know.

Yes,

1. Charly (that's how he spells his name), being the only "full-time, professional trumpet player" of the four of you involved in this mess, is indeed out gigging somewhere around Greece right now, so he can't answer for himself.

2. Trickg DID go ballistic, writing this to another poster on this forum in a PM:

[Contents of quoted PM removed by Moderators]

I didn't read what he wrote, but it must have been really nasty to get him banned here.

Sadly, Charly and Trickg are simply bystanders to this duel, and at this point I hope they stay out of things to this duel can proceed!!!

THAT LEAVES YOU AND THE ONE YOU CHALLENGED . . .

3.. Histrumpet hasn't responded as of yet to your latest "baiting" of him (just above). I'm sure he will though, for he never backs down from bullies, and you've just escalated things again, just as you historically do.

4. John, I hope you and histrumpet complete your duel, as promised. Obviously many folks are interested!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

PS: Trickg's valiant attempt to get you off the hook sadly backfired for him. I hope you appreciate the hit he took to cover your backside, for he sadly got hurt in all this crap-o-la.

John, is the duel still on as far as you are concerned?
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
histrumpet is writing everything and anything negative about me he can think of or make up under several different troll-type names on at least two forums. I think he's too busy doing that to actually work up any music on his trumpet. Get it? his trumpet - histrumpet. Okay, it's not all that funny. I know.

John,

Please provide exact proof of all of this everything and anything negative that he can think of or make up about you that histrumpet is currently doing. Nothing from the past unless you want to resurect the entire threads for all of us to see and make judgement from so that we are not depending solely on your account of things. Just the current stuff please in order to make it simple for you to back up your statements.

As far as current postings also provide proof that histrumpet is currently posting under any name other than histrumpet here at TH and please provide evidence that he is currently posting using any name other than "The Moose" at the TM site.Which incidentally if you had bothered to look very closely the issue of identity has been brought out in the past a few times at TM that he has never hidden behind the name and identified who he was.
The real fact is that Bruce is being attacked,taunted and baited at TM by a troll named Yellowhammer who's very first post was just to attack and bait Bruce.
Wonder who that might be?

As always 404-316-4072
Lee Adams

Last edited by Lee Adams on Fri May 27, 2005 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to john's false accusations and assumptions regarding my activities, motives, or character I have to say that as usual john is wrong. No lies have been told and any allegations made by john can not be substaniated unless he himself edits comments he made to remove offensive material used as flame bait.

The picture posted at the trumpet master site was taken at an event that I sponsored to promote trumpet playing in my area. This event was not for profit. This is important in the fact that john paints me with a very wide, negative brushstroke yet everytime I see john post information about an event he seeks to profit financially from it. So regardless if the truth comes from Histrumpet or The Moose the truth is just that......the truth. As far as any video clips or CDs are concerned, john is over in the Claude Gordon forum trying to pre-sale a companion cd to go with the SA material. He wants to make sure he can sell the cd for a profit before he proceeds with the project......john, can we assume that you are intrested in turning a profit, or helping out fellow players? I find this odd when in another thread you attack Todd for making money from this website. If anything you should be paying Todd for allowing you to promote yourself here on this website. Thats all for now.
HIstrumpet
The Moose
Bruce

I have edited this post to include the information that Lee Adams, Bruce Lee, and Tom Turner participated in the event where my picture was taken without being compensated for their time or talents. Thanks for helping out a lot of young aspiring trumpet players.

Last edited by histrumpet on Mon May 30, 2005 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And john, before you try to twist my words around, I never said a musician shouldn't profit from his art, just that a certain level of charity never hurt anyone's credibility. MOST pros be they "international" or otherwise know this. Ask Ray Nelson, better yet ask some others that have other careers other than trumpet playing like Tom Turner, Lee Adams....you get the picture don't you?

Oh, one more thing....... when I viewed Charly Raymonds posts I found a link to a website at the bottom of the page, when I click on it naturally I get Charly's website. When I click on the same link where you have posted it's some guy named Matt's website... Whats up with that? Is that something you international pros do?
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok if I was going to set pieces for this duel it would be these
1 Henze Sequenza
2 Honegger Intrada
3 Bb tpt part in Heldenlehben
4 Mahler 8 (you know the bit)
5 Parsifal
6 Ravel piano in G
and if they need some jazz why not just have a fast/high note competition on jazz licks.
Jim
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After scanning the threads I thought that a post was missing. It is still intact therefore I am editing this post.

good day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: