• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp Teachers in the Houston Area?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Stamp Teachers in the Houston Area? Reply with quote

I recently had a conversation with my old college trumpet professor, Dr. Richard Burkart. In the course of the conversation he mentioned that he had great respect for the Stamp method and exercises, and he recommended them to me. He said he had used them rather extensively with his students over the past few decades with excellent results. And he evidently practices them himself. If any of you have had the privelege of listening to Dr. Burkart play, you would appreciate how weighty a recommendation this is. Burkart has the most effortless sounding, centered, controlled, and beautiful tone I have ever heard come out of a trumpet. But he also recommended that I locate and start with a teacher, who understands exactly how the Stamp exercises are to be practiced.

So this is what motivated my post. Do any of you know of a teacher in the Houston area, who studied with either Stamp or one of his students? Thanks.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Bert Truax is still living in Dallas ... let me think ...

I wonder if Dennis Dotson studied with Stamp - great jazz player ... hmm.

I guess I'd recommend that you call Bert and ask him, might be a place to start.

Marie Speziale at Rice uses Stamp-type things and buzzing quite a fair amount I believe, perhaps that would be a call worth making right there. She's certainly had some excellent students. I don't believe she actually studied with Jimmy though, but could be wrong there.

TD
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those suggestions.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: