• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jobs, really

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the job market for a classically oriented trumpet player like? I dont really think I want to major in music (if i did, it would be performance), im caught between that and engineering. right now im planning to mjr in engineering and take a few trumpet classes and keep playing gigs forever. i was just curious what the chances were if i were to major in music and try to land a job in teh classical world.

stuart
bobwhite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that if you have an interest in engineering, and can see yourself in that kind of career, go for it.

To be perfectly honest, I'd say that if you don't feel 100% compelled to be an orchestral trumpeter at this point, you should not attempt to embark on the incredibly competitive and often discouraging path of orchestral playing.

I'll bet lots of people will disagree with me on this point, but it's just my opinion. Make a comfortable life for yourself. Raise a family. Keep playing your trumpet for the sheer pleasure of it and promote the enrichment of your community through music. Don't worry about being a professional. You'll always have chances to play.
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, one would be more successful as a trumpet player than an engineer - this is from one who gave up trumpet for engineering and is now regretting the choice.

J. Freedman
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who is a mechanical engineer for Mcconell Douglas. He somehow got sent to Puerto Rico for a couple of years, they paid him extra for working out of country, and he got a couple weeks off ever couple o' months and a plane ticket to get back to the states free o' charge. Nothing like doing math on the beach...

ChopsMcgraw
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning twards what bobwhite said, that seems to be the best compromise for me. Im not disagreeing, but why do you believe that its easier to get a job as a trumpet player now than as an engineer?

Stuart
RJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter so much which is easier to get a job in, what matters most is which one you feel will best fullfill your purpose in life. Try to figure out where your purpose is and that will help lead you to your answer. Find out what you love and give it everything and you will find ways to make that work, whatever it is.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-07 10:46, RJ wrote:
It doesn't matter so much which is easier to get a job in, what matters most is which one you feel will best fullfill your purpose in life. Try to figure out where your purpose is and that will help lead you to your answer. Find out what you love and give it everything and you will find ways to make that work, whatever it is.

I agree with you RJ, but the original post in this thread is asking about whether it will be easier to find work as an engineer than as a classical/orchestral trumpeter.

The answer to that is yes. Those that are truly dedicated to trumpet playing regardless of the style are all very well aware that this isn't a way to make a million bucks, and that financially it's kind of understood that you're gonna struggle, at the very least for a while, for some, forever. It's a matter of whether you're willing to make that trade off. If you're questioning it, I would say go for the engineering. There is not a thing in the world that says you can't go back to school later if it turns out you were wrong. Mistakes, just like successes aren't set in stone. It's what you make of it....
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

...Mistakes, just like successes aren't set in stone. It's what you make of it....

Very true:) thanks for the advice! I think my problem isn't that im not dedicated enough, its that i dont ahve enough self confidence in my playing. I know im good, but i dont think im that good. Thanks to all!!

Stuart

Stuart
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just say that those who are successful making a career in trumpet performance are those who simply can't see themselves doing anything else.

If you're ambivalent about, think very carefully before you commit yourself to that career path.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all depends on what your definition of an acceptable gig is. If you are interested in being a classical trumpeter who performs some and teaches at a college your odds go up. If you don't mind also playing weekends in a blues band and spending Wednesday night and Sunday morning conducting a church choir then your odds continue to rise.

However, I once saw a survey that compared the career goals of 18 year-olds entering US colleges with their eventual career outcomes. A higher percentage of students with aspirations to a post as a US senator or congressperson reached their goal than did entering freshmen aspiring to a full-time post in a major American orchestra.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr. Harbison! I do not doubt the accuracy of the survey you mentioned. But I do think it is easier to get sidetracked when pursuing a career in music. There are so many ways to do it, and I bet if a musician hits on a way to make a living he or she will put off a goal like getting a regular post in a symphony orchestra. I'm the furthest thing from a professional musician, but that is just my general impression. I am also assuming there are equally lucrative opportunities out there for a musician who is willing to work hard and find them.
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart,
When I entered college, I faced basically the same choice facing you. My whole life had been music up to that time, but my dad advised me not to major in music. As he had had a day time job and ran his own dance band on the side for over 30 years at the time, I listened to him. Many times I've regretted it since. I'm just one person, and everybody lives a different life. But I can promise you that in spite of your intentions to have a career outside of music, while keeping music an integral part of your life, is easier said than done. Playing opportunities for those who are not full time professionals, and are no longer in school, are not that easy to come by. Let's say your job moves you out of the area in which you went to school and in which you have all your music contacts. Starting over as a part time player somewhere else isn't easy. It's not easy for full time pros. Let's say your job takes so much of your time that you don't have time to practice regularly. Then when you get a chance to play, you 1) either can't play the part because of fatique or rust, or 2) you're so frustrated because of what you expect from yourself, but can no longer do, that playing becomes an excercise in frustration. Let's say your job takes you somewhere where you can't practice at all for extended periods. Mine once took me to Nigeria for a year.

How do you think all us "comeback players" got to be comeback players? I cannot tell you to seek a career in enginering or in music. That's your choice. I can just tell you I chose against music with the results that I still have ixed feelings about it. There are frustrations in life and there are satisfactions. It is frustrating to deny an internal drive to play trumpet and make music. It is also frustrating to recognize that your wife and children deserve much more than you are able to provide for them on the money you can generate as a musician (or any number of jobs. I had the same frustrations as a math teacher). Buddy, you're hurting when your 2 year old comes down with pneumonia and you haven't been able to afford insurance. There is great satisfaction in playing your horn and knowing you are playing it well. There is great satsfaction in being able to provide the best college education available for your kids regardless of expense also. So pick the set of frustrations and the set of satisfactions which are most appealing to you. Which way to go? If you're a Christian, I suggest you pray about it carefully. I hope this gives you something to think about.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
gappingr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say this: it's easier to be an engineer and play trumpet on the side, than to do it the other way around!

I chose to major in Physics as an undergrad and am now completing a Ph.D in Optical Engineering. I still play trumpet regularly, including subbing with the local symphony and pops orchestras. I also played in the University ensembles for awhile.

I'm looking at a good career in an engineering field, which I greatly enjoy, and continuing to play trumpet. Now admittedly, my available practice time, and therefore, my rate of improvement is small, but this career choice has worked out well for me so far.

Good luck.

Rob

One needs only two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
SummerSong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: SummerSong on 2004-05-05 10:07 ]
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure following music after college works out better for some than for others. In my own case, just in the last 10 years, my job carried me to Freeport, Texas, for a year and a half, then to Port Harcourt, Nigeria for a year, then to Lake Charles, LA for about 8 or 9 months, then to El Jubail, Saudi Arabia for about 6 months, then to Port Arthur, TX for 6 months, then to Florence, SC for 10 months, then to Convent, LA for 6 months, then back to Lake Charles, LA for 13 months, then to Geismer, LA for 6 months, then to Lake Jackson,TX for about the last 3 years. Pursuing music as a sideline, has been difficult under the circumstances.

So if you want to have a day time job, and keep up with your music on the side, I suggest:

1) Settle in a town (area) that has enough playing opportunities to keep you as busy as you wish to be-because in a lot of places, the opportunities just aren't there.

2) Select a job that allows you a regular, day schedule. Shift work plays havok with a playing career. When everybody else is free to play a gig on Friday night, you're scheduled to work from 6 PM to 6 AM at the plant. When you finally find the time to practice, the rest of your group is in bed asleep. etc.

3) Select a job that doesn't call for a lot of moving from place to place.

4) Take a job in your hometown, where you already have music connections, if you can.

Just my 2 cents-again.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
TheMan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the skills to be an engineer, go for it (I've always loved trains...)! As far as majoring in music--if you're good enough to win an audition with a major symphony, it doesn't matter what degree you have--or don't have!

Stan

My trumpet playing is a lot like my golf game...WAY too much chipping...
preshuss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I once saw a survey that compared the career goals of 18 year-olds entering US colleges with their eventual career outcomes. A higher percentage of students with aspirations to a post as a US senator or congressperson reached their goal than did entering freshmen aspiring to a full-time post in a major American orchestra."

I also saw a survey which showed that job satisfaction among orchestral musicians was just above that of prison guards.

Whatever your ultimate decison, I think that your degree of satisfaction with your career and life is almost entirely dependant on your attitude. Life is full of choices, and as in this case, most of the choices people make are not between a "right" and a "wrong", but between two equally desirable paths. I agree with the previous poster, "still trying" in that you must choose which set of advantages and disadvantages you would rather deal with. And often, you may not need to sacrifice one dream for another, there may be an agreeable way to balance your continued involvement in the realm of trumpet playing, with the benefits of having a more secure and lucrative job in the field of engineering.

If you worry about looking back after 20 years and thinking "man, if only I would have gone all the way with this back when I was young..."--I bet that with whichever path you ultimatly decide on, you will propably look back on the other choice with the same degree of regret...if you allow yourself that attitude. No matter what you do, there are never any guarantees. Neither wealth nor position can GIVE you happiness. True satifaction can only be gained through a positive attitude towards whatever circumstances you are in.

So take advantage of your youth and ambition with no regrets. Especially now as you are just entering college...you have a LOT more time ahead than some people let on--work hard and enjoy it.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart,

A lot of good posts have preceded mine, so I'll keep this short. Unless you've received authoritative feedback that your trumpet skills put you at least on the threshold of "world class," I think the decision makes itself: prepare yourself for a career in engineering and keep music as an avocation.

I would also counsel you to take some business courses to better prepare yourself for entrepreneurship which could well lead to the perfect scenario: one day owning a business that affords you enough time and money to concentrate on your music and play the horn(s) of your dreams.

Good luck!

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decide what is more important. Money and stuff, or you enjoyment and hapiness in life. Maybe you totally dig enginering and it makes you happy!! Great! If you are just doing it for the money. DON'T. The only thing that lots of money gets you is stuff. That's it.

I had a good job in computers and I realized that I wasn't happy. I was making good money and had lots of stuff. But I was missing something. I needed the music more than I needed the money. Now I'm back in school getting a music degree. Just make a choice that is right to you. If music stirs your soul. Then you will never be happy with out it.
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetdiva1 on 2003-01-13 09:32 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: