• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

learning pieces of music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you start one piece of music and perfect it before you start the next one, or do you work on several things at once that work different skills? im just curious as to how others practice i generally like to work on several pieces at once so i dont get bored with one piece.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is, if I have a piece of music that has certain things I can't do, then I will work on those things. I played an etude for band camp auditions that had octave jumps, intervals, and hard tonguing. I just pulled out Arbans and worked on them, and played the piece perfectly after 3 weeks.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends what the music is for. If it's for a spring concert or something then I'll usually work on all the pieces and work extra hard on the pieces that are more challenging.

If it's for solo and ensemble festival then I'll really just focus on that one piece. And really just try to perfect it and play it over again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ByroTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just keep working on a lot of stuff but work much more on the stuff that is giving you trouble.

one pit that you DO NOT want to fall in is adding more pieces in your reprtoire because you cannot do one very well. I've done this before and it has not done me any good. It will benefit you more to practice a few things that you can't do well than to play a lot of stuff that you can play in your sleep. like in the clarkes 2nd study he says (not quoting exactly) "do not waste your time on those that are easy"

If there is anything that I stated here that someone doesn't agree with or if it is just plain wrong. Let me know (be professional about it), because I want to learn more. Have a great day everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: