• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Binak Pro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xeno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried out Binak Pro valve oil? How does it compare to the original binak? Would it be suitable for use on my Xeno? Thanks for your help! : )

Xeno
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in March I went for Nanette's 2-for-1 deal on BiNaK Pro. Like many of the people who tried it, I was (to say the least) unhappy. And I said so, loudly. Nanette agreed that there was a mistake made in the formulation of the oil and refunded everyone's money.

I held on to her check. I wanted to see what the correct formula would be like.

Well, it's terrific. After cleaning my Kanstul 1500, I applied maybe two drops of oil. On the whole horn. All three valves, all four slides. Two drops. Unbelievable. That was a couple of weeks ago. I've played every day,
including 2 rehearsals and two gigs . The valves have never been better.

Anyhow, I've shredded Nanette's check. She's an honorable lady (not to mention a genius) and deserves to be paid for her work.

John
Viera, FL
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it a bit faster than the original, but still slower than Zaja or Al Cass Fast after a few days. Jury is still out for me -- the valves were as fast as I've ever seen just after cleaning and applying, and I may have overdone it. Time will tell...

FWIW - Don
mbailey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I find some of these specialty valve oils? I'd like to try 'em.
Gerber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.binak.com
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use BinaK Pro on my French Besson. It took a few cleanings before I actually got rid of all the residue petroleum based valve oil in the horn, and actually got the BinaK oil to work. Although, I don't find BinaK as fast as some other oils, it is plenty fast enough. And it lasts so long, I have to remind myself to wipe off the valves and reapply it ever so often. I get paranoid about how long it's been since I oiled up, and start worrying that surely the valves are wearing after so long a time. That's when I wipe off the valves and re-oil. For years before using BinaK, I used Holton oil, which I still consider to be a good oil, but I had to apply it at least every other day, depending on how much I was playing.

BinaK Pro is not the only good oil out there, but I like it and see no reason to change to another oil.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "broke in" my B1 on Viper Oil but very shortly after switched to Binak Pro. It works far better for me than the Al Cass (almost anything works better than Al Cass which, for me, gums up the pistons quickly). One of the interesting things about the Binak is that it virtually forces me to clean the valves on a bi-weekly basis...wiping off the pistons and swabbing out the casing then reoiling. (Binak "tells you" when it's time to clean and reoil... the valves start to feel sluggish.) After almost a year the valves still look brand new with no marking whatsoever. I'm using the same oil on my flugelhorn which I cleaned, oiled, and put away for 6 weeks this summer. When I decided to open the case one night during a practice the valves worked perfectly first shot (something that I've never had happen with the flugel before after even half that amount of storage time).

Still trying to convince myself to switch the Getzen Eterna from Viper Oil to Binak...the first time I tried the 2nd piston got really slow. Since it's an older Eterna I figured I'd use the 495 formula on it. Maybe I'll try the Pro next time.
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received some Binak Pro a few weeks ago. I followed the instructions... cleaned the horn, cleaned the valves and casings. Applied one drop to each valve, and was not impressed. High viscosity, contributed to slow valves? I went back to my wife's Blue Juice. But since I did invest in the BinakPro, I decided to clean the horn again and reapplied the Binak.

Well, I must say, I'm impressed this time. Seems to be working better. What I really like is the valves work well, and I don't get the "kerosene" smell that comes with Blue Juice or Al Cass. We'll see how it holds up over time.
trumpet manor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzalive said "I don't get the "kerosene" smell that comes with ... Al Cass."

Wow. Al Cass oil is truly odorless. I just put my nose over some and all I could smell was the plastic bottle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: