• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dixie Jazz Duets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, folks. I'm afraid I have to resort to some shameless self-promotion again and announce that Boptism Music Publishing has a new book on the market.

"Home Cookin' Fer Young 'Uns -- 24 Dixie Jazz Duets by Rich Willey." These are available at http://www.boptism.com listed under Dixie Jazz Duets.

In fact, the exact URL to get right there without having to wade through anything else is:
http://store.yahoo.com/boptismpublishing/easyjazzduets.html

We played a bunch of these at the Northern Brass Trumpet Weekend in Jacksonville, FL, this past weekend. You ought to hear Bill Mirrieless and John Gulyas tearin' these things up! And Lex Grantham and Bruce Lee and I can't remember who all else . . . but it was fun playing them and listening to other players cookin' through them, too.

But the word on the street is that these duets are tons of fun, yet are challenging enough that high school level players (and up) will probably need to stay on their toes to avoid missing those clever little syncopations.

Thanks, and I hope to hear from you!

Rich
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

they are excellent - really well done!!!
and lots of fun with band in a box
DCBASS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich is the man! He is a great trumpet player and a great person....but he is even a great teacher! He make things fun as you learn...what a concept. It just proves you do not have top beat people up to teach them something. I learned a lot from him even though I did not play the music. I watched and learned. He is an encourager and the music he loves what he does. I bought some of his stuff and would recommend that all true "trumpet geeks" buy his stuff.
Later....

ps..watch those fingers! (:>o
limits_unknown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cool! I might just have to check this out! Thanks man! Nothing wrong w/ self promotion. Besides, I would'nt know anything about this book if hadn't said anything
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone...these duets COOK! I had more fun playing these things than a barrell of monkeys.

I came to the TRumpet Hang with a few goals in mind... one of them trying to find out if I could play along with a 3 month layoff...my sound sucked at first but I got through it OK.

Rich Willey is one of the best teachers and performers out there. Please buy his books...I did and will continue to do so.

They are so much FUN to play! John, Rich and I spent hours just playing them,...I was the weakest link but still had a GAS playing these duets.

These are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

hm 850.230.8314
wk 850.233.8301

[ This Message was edited by: Bill on 2002-08-16 22:05 ]
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Just so you know I've got all the jazzers in the band here checking into the books. As soon as the Eb and bass guys get their books we're gonna do the combo thing. Should be even more fun than it was with you and Bill, and that was a LOT of fun!

Later!
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been teaching several high school kids for the past 4 or 5 weeks now, and I finally took my Dixie duet book in to have these kids sightread the figures with me this past week.

I don't want to be known locally as "that teacher who pushes his books on everybody" but y'know what? Those kids had more fun (and probably learned more) playing these duets with me than any of the other stuff we've worked on.

I've only recently learned that many trumpet enthusiasts aren't great readers . . . they just like to take out their horn and play high notes, or maybe a medley of the only 5 or 6 songs they ever learned on trumpet. And that's okay.

But for the rest of you, if you want to have some fun playing some jazz that's not so terribly difficult but definitely swinging and musical, you really ought to look into these duets.

www.boptism.com

They're just starting to catch on, and you just might make some friends and get better on your instrument by making some calls looking for a duet partner.

But I don't want to be known as the guy on Trumpet Herald who's always pushing his duet books.

Rich
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're doing a one-year anniversary sale right now at www.boptism.com -- mention Trumpet Herald on the order form and get any duet book or CD at 50% off. (I'll discount it before your credit card is processed.)

This will expire on our first anniversary, which is this coming Tuesday, Sept. 24th, 2002 at midnight EDT.

At these low prices we'll need to charge $1.00 per item for shipping, but it's still a great savings (that's in the continental USA — international rates apply outside USA).

This is your chance, folks. Snooze you lose!

Rich

828-665-3864 / Fax 503 214 7155
Hear my recordings free: www.mp3.com/RichWilley

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2002-09-20 06:17 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I've got to hand it to you, man. These books are great. They make excellent sight-reading studies. They include all of the standard jazz and commercial music rhythmic patterns that developing players need to learn to read and phrase.

The "Dixie" book is technically simple enough for any decent middle school kid, but the musical values are not compromised in the least.

Burnin'!
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the clock is ticking.........
these are great books!!!!
BUY NOW

_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these preforming charts or teaching charts?

Thanks,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these preforming charts or teaching charts?

Yes! And just plain ol' playing for fun duets, too! Take a look at the boptism website for more details.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: