• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pierre Thibaud-Method for the Advanced Trumpeter.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Pierre Thibaud-Method for the Advanced Trumpeter. Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I've ordered the "Method" and "Daily Routine" books for now.

I'm interested to see what Pierre Thibaud has to say about trumpet playing. I've seen a couple of write-ups of Masterclasses in the ITG Journal which has whetted my appetite.

I wonder how much of this influenced Hakan Hardenberger's development when he studied in Paris with PT?

Andrew Tomlinson
Somerset England
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Balquhidder web-site is the following quote by Hardenberger:

"To study with Pierre Thibaud is a life-changing, turbulent and wonderful experience. In deep gratitude to my mentor I congratulate all players on this book that will provide a window into the world of this great pilot."

I can't say that I find this a complete and enthusiastic endorsement.

I much prefer what Donald Green (Princ Trpt L.A.P.O) says:

"I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to call Pierre Thibaud my friend and mentor. His insights have helped me tremendously. No serious student of the instrument should be without this invaluable work."

I find this far more convincing.

Andrew Tomlinson
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now received two volumes of Pierre Thibaud's Method (1) Method for the Advanced Trumpeter (2) Daily Routine and Vocalises. The third volume is still on order.

Like James Stamp after his heart attacks, Pierre Thibaud found that major surgery forced him to rethink his way of playing the instrument. As Dave Bacon says it is very much based on the use of the pedal and double pedal register.

1. HAKAN HARDENBERGER - Stamp:"Symphony No. 1" on OJ's Website. It's not easy to tell from this article how much he has been influenced by Stamp and Thibaud as he only discusses "note bending", "mouthpiece practice" and the first few exercises in the Stamp Warm-ups. (Though he says he spends about one hour on this) It would be interesting to know whether he goes on later to use some of the other exercises in Stamp. Hakan studied with Thibaud between 1978-81 and Pierre's new method represents his more recent thinking. Also according to acknowledgements at the front of each volume Hardenberger may have had some input on this project.

2. JAMES STAMP - although these books are influenced by Stamp there are other influences from Maggio, Spaulding, Franquin, Cichowicz, Colin, Bai Lin, Concone, and Sabarich, Caruso and even Gottfried Reiche (his scales).

In Stamp's Warm-ups+Studies book he often encourages the reader to play exercises higher than written, but I haven't seen any indication that he encourages anyone to go below the first pedal C.

3. PIERRE THIBAUD - as Dave Bacon has said above, these three volumes probably represent an important landmark in French Trumpet Pedagogy tradition, and will likely become best sellers. They are intended for fairly advanced players, though there are plenty of exercises which could be used within someone's current range initially. It is intended that the larger book "Method for the Advanced Trumpeter" (166pp) be studied first.

Anyone else out there want to comment on them?

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-10-03 10:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-10-03 11:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-10-03 13:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-10-03 13:48 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: