• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teaching Middle School Students

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Junior in High School, and a few middle school directors have asked my band director if i would be avaliable to give lessons. I am avaliable, and i would love to do it, i would just like some tips on what to (and what to NOT) try to teach teh students. And suggestions on fees... teh prof. in my area charge $20 for a half hour...i was thinking $8 or $10 for 30-45 mins...?

thanks!
Stuart
trumpetdave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you will be teaching beginners, the most common problem I find with this stage is that their lips are too tight and they do not use enough air. Not using the tongue or tonguing between the teeth is also a common problem. Posture, breathing, and holding the instrument usually need work. Teach them how to practice.
I would recomend using the Walter Beeler book for most second year students (skip the first 8 lesson). This will give you a good text to work from until you develop your own teaching methods. It covers all the basic- tone, technique, scales, arps, tonguing.

Hope this helps.

Dave
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a similar thing through the school district. WE have a lesson program called B.E.S.T and I am one of the teachers I think I get $11 an hour. But anyways.... Try to remember that they are middle school students. You can't expect them to play the arutunian. I like to play out of the arban a lot because it has everything in it. It can help you detect problem areas like no other and it usually has things to solve those problems. Good Luck and try to keep the lessons somewhat fun also it doesen't hurt to sightread a starwars book or something like that.
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect them to play the Arutunian, I expect ME to play that. I'm hoping they'll be able to play C mjr scale and read music:) (Our public schools arent the best...and the music programs are oen of the worst parts). Anyway, thanks for all the ideas, I'll see what we can do:)

Stuart
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me how many players go into a situation like this without any background. I'm sure you'll do well because you sound like you care, Good Luck!
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you! I do try:) I'm trying to culture good trumpet players to come to my high school so i have a decent section my senior year:) I also want them to be good just for the sake of being good...Anyway, thanks for the advice, and the compliment.

Stuart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: