• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Eterna Cornet History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Getzen Eterna Cornet History Reply with quote

Can anyone here confirm for me in what year Getzen first started building Eterna cornets?

Thanks!

D.
Conn Vintage One Flugelhorn -- GR66FD
Yamaha YCR-6335HS Cornet -- Sparx 3
---
"He heals the brokenhearted, and bandages their wounds" -- Psalm 147:3
cleanhead77
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was about 1963-64 when Sandy Knowles (?) bought the company from the Getzen family. Part of the deal was that The Getzen family couldn't use the name, so Donald Getzen formed the DEG company. This is all memory, so I can't be positive of all these details.
I think Donald Getzen actually designed the Eterna cornet, as both DEG and Blessing sold the same design, however neither of theses two gained anywhere near the popularity of the Eterna.
Knowles brought in Doc Severinsen as part owner and he helped design the Eterna and other Getzen trumpets, but I don't think he had much to do with the cornets.
The whole plant burned to the ground about 1965 but was rebuilt very quickly. The trumpets were a little different after that in minor details like the stop assembly on the 3rd valve. Getzen's Ray Amado developed the Amado water key which was added to all Getzens about 1971 or so.
Check out the Getzen website - they may have more or better information.............................Bill Barnes
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, there are some errors in the above post that I am going to clear up a bit.

1) The Eterna Cornet was first built in 1964. I'm not sure who designed it though.

2) The company was sold by my great-grandfather in 1960 to Harold Knowlton.

3) Don Getzen stayed on with Mr. Knowlton after the purchase of the company. I believe as a sales manager. He worked there until 1965 when he left to found DEG.

4) Doc was not a part owner of the company. He worked very closely with them as an endorsing artist and clinician, but not as a part owner.

5) The fire was in the fall of 1963. Any changes to the instruments after the fire were design changes that were already in place before the fire. To the best of my knowledge, nothing was changed due to the fire. That is one thing Knowlton tried very hard to accomplish so that people would recognize Getzen for what it was and not abandon the line during its down time.

So anyway, to answer the original question, the 800 Eterna Cornet was started in 1964.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
billb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Prototype on eBay Reply with quote

This is purportedly a Getzen Eterna cornet prototype from before the fire:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281147736204?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

The tubing wrap looks the same as modern Eternas, but different from 70's-80's DEG cornets, which have a more traditional wrap.

Does that eBay horn look legit?
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype on eBay Reply with quote

billb wrote:
This is purportedly a Getzen Eterna cornet prototype from before the fire:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281147736204?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

The tubing wrap looks the same as modern Eternas, but different from 70's-80's DEG cornets, which have a more traditional wrap.

Does that eBay horn look legit?

I have one like that with a first-slide trigger. Serial number is C805. I would gladly sell it for a thousand but I don't think that's possible.

Occasionally, you see Blessing cornets with a similar design.

Kent
fedjazz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a large bore Eterna, number C801, with first slide trigger...priceless.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: cornets Reply with quote

This is interesting to me, we played Getzen Eternas in the symphonic band at Bowling Green St. U. when I was there. I had a Conn 36B which I abhorred at the time so I played everything including juries on the Getzen. It was just fun to play and practice. I am 67, so now I want to spend lots on a Shires or Yamaha Shew horn. Getzen made great horns for the money in the day.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread but I love my Eterna 800ML cornet.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

Also relevant:
There is a new deluxe 800 in town
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Getzen Eterna cornet history Reply with quote

I posted on this topic 2 1/2 years ago and said I had dreams of different Yamahas, Shew horns, etc. The truth is that Eterna I played was the most fun I ever had playing a horn. I owned a Benge 5 for 27 years and it is a different horse for a different course, but equal in the fun department. Now Getzen has two Deluxe trumpets and a Deluxe cornet. Forget the other brands. The Deluxe trumpet with the copper bell fascinates me. Now I dream of having one of each the trumpet and the cornet.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getzen Eterna cornet history Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
I posted on this topic 2 1/2 years ago and said I had dreams of different Yamahas, Shew horns, etc. The truth is that Eterna I played was the most fun I ever had playing a horn. I owned a Benge 5 for 27 years and it is a different horse for a different course, but equal in the fun department. Now Getzen has two Deluxe trumpets and a Deluxe cornet. Forget the other brands. The Deluxe trumpet with the copper bell fascinates me. Now I dream of having one of each the trumpet and the cornet.

Go for it! Just pick up the phone with credit card in hand.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Getzen eterna cornet history Reply with quote

You know at 69 I am aware of that, too, and so far, I haven't pulled the trigger.
You are right, though. Eventually we have to step up to the plate. Have a good one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: