• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mendez and jazz greats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diz the wiz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: mendez and jazz greats Reply with quote

I just finish to listen my complete mendez summit collection,I'm a big jazz fan,and I ask myself,did Mendez (who I says is the greatest trumpet player technician ever)was aware of jazz greats like my idols,Dizzy Gillespie and Clifford Brown,and if so, what were his thoughts about them,I think that all the jazz greats were aware of the great Mendez.
49 Selmer
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez loved jazz and owned several jazz trumpet records. His main record collection was of opera singers. He loved opera!

His favorite trumpet/cornet player was George Swift from England. He owned six copies of the old 78 rpm glass disc of Swift performing SONIA. Wow! Now THAT guy could play!

Mendez played in the MGM orchestra for ten years..... the first few behind Manny Klein, and the last few as first trumpet. Manny could blow some good jazz, dixie, swing, et. al., but Mendez had trouble with the jazz solos for film tracks. Even though Mendez had his own jazz band in his younger days (Mendez and the All-Stars), sort of an early Harry James-style group, he was once quoted that he would happily give up all of his technique for eight bars of real jazz trumpet playing.

DH
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't document this but I remember hearing more then once that Mendez and CLifford Brown practiced together on occasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: