• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Poper Book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Poper Book Reply with quote

Does the Poper book stand on its own, as far as containing the Stamps exercises, or does one need to have the Stamps book as well as the Poper? Thanks.

Norm
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Poper Book Reply with quote

Norm wrote:
Does the Poper book stand on its own, as far as containing the Stamps exercises, or does one need to have the Stamps book as well as the Poper? Thanks.

Norm

Norm,

Poper's book is intended to be a guide to using Stamp's book, so yes you'll need the Stamp. You can read more about Poper's ideas at: http://www.trumpetguild.org/journal/d96/9612Mcgr.pdf . I have a page on my website explaining the approach to the Stamp exercises that I learned from Bert Truax at: http://www.geocities.com/mcstock.geo/stamp.html

Enjoy,

Matt
mdavis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norm, I studied with Roy for the last four years. As far as Stamp people go, he is one of the most knowledgable about the teachings of James Stamp. I would have to say, unless you can go and get some lessons from Roy, his book would be the best way to go as to truely understanding excersis. If you have any more questions feel free to get in contact with me through PM, I think i know how to use it.
blanchard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My university teacher required me to buy the Poper book as well as the Stamp book. Of course, his name was Roy Poper but seriously, his book does a good job explaining the Stamp method, which is understandable because Roy studied with Stamp. But I have to say that even just using the two books is not enough, you really need a teacher to sit with you and monitor your playing. I was doing the Stamp method all wrong for a few weeks before Roy noticed some poor habits that I was bringing along from my high school days. He left the university before we could correct it, but my next teacher took me back to some more basics to get the proper technique, which I then applied to Stamp and it all made sense.

But a simple answer to your question, the Poper book is a supplement, not stand alone.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Poper book is a must for anyone who has not studied with Stamp or a Stamp student (IMHO). It is a great resource.

Another excellent book that is not as well known is "How to Play James Stamp's Warm-ups" by Jean-Christophe Wiener. It is published by the same people who publish the Stamp book, Editions Bim.

Although both books are about the same subject they contain different insights. Obviously being a master teacher Stamp would not approach each student the same. I was only lucky enough to have a couple of lessons with Mr. Stamp so both of these books triggered memories of those lessons that I had forgotten. They are both "must haves" for Stamp fans.

Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: