• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice Routines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to pretend to know how he might line up a practice session for you.

He did tell me several times that each and every practice/playing day needs to include approximately equal amounts of the following aspects of brass playing (in no specific order):

tonguing
slurring
soft playing
loud playing
high stuff
low stuff
sustained (cantabile) playing
compression (squeakers, flips, etc.)
multiple tonguing

Keeping these basic elements of playing in mind has helped me balance my practice/playing days so that I'm working out pretty much every aspect of brass playing, and not letting any one thing atrophy.

In fact, this may be one of the most important things Doc taught me in my later years with him.

One other thing he introduced me to at my first lesson was the "Stagger Approach" where Day 1 is a "hard day," and I push myself as hard as I can without tolerating strain. Then Day 2 is a "gentle day" where I take it easy, but still playing and keeping all the points (above) alive. Then Day 3 is another "hard day," Day 4 is a "gentle day" and so forth.

Anybody else have any ideas here for Dave?
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I admit I know nothing about Reinhardt. You listed the stagger approach. Do you agree with it(in terms of being the best developmental approach?) There was a thread on this subject recently.

I feel that you should intensly work(on at least some apects of your playing) at least six day a week. A light day(or day off) comes after a heavy performance schedule or several days of intense practice.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-26 15:51, jgadvert wrote:
Rich,

I admit I know nothing about Reinhardt. You listed the stagger approach. Do you agree with it (in terms of being the best developmental approach)? There was a thread on this subject recently.

I feel that you should intensely work (on at least some apects of your playing) at least six day a week. A light day (or day off) comes after a heavy performance schedule or several days of intense practice.

Now that I'm thinking back on the Stagger thing, he *did* tell me that right when I started with him. A couple months later he was saying that 3-5 hours of practice 365 days a year is the kind of investment I ought to be willing to make for the kind of returns I was looking for.

These days, a day off completely is such a rarity. My gig schedule has lightened up as of late . . . when I was on the road with Maynard, you had no choice, you had to play regardless of what day it was or how you felt. And at the time, a day off was much more difficult to deal with than several consecutive strenuous days. We had some days that the amount of travel made practicing impossible; we'd show up two days later, *nobody* had been practicing, and we'd have to load-in and do the sound-check and gig.

But when gigs are sparse (as they are for me right now), it's even more important to not take any days off. Just what I'd need: take a day off, and then the next day get a call to come play that night. My chops prefer to get a vigorous workout daily, and they function better that way, too. Most of the time, an unusually heavy playing day is followed by a day where my chops feel sensational. To me that's the beauty of following through for years on the Reinhardt stuff.

More comments from others, please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: