• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

20 min sessions or 50/50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpaddict

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: 20 min sessions or 50/50 Reply with quote

Did Caruso Use the min. set with all the students?
I heard that Laurie Frink Is sayng always rest for the same
period of time that you play on trumpet.
When I play Caruso exercises for
20min session I usualy can feel the stiffness for the rest of the day and I have a tendensy to unconsiously play without removing my mouthpiece from the lips for the rest of my practising day.I also tend to dont care about my sound quality.
But when I play caruso exercises with lots of rest's,I feel much more in control of playng.It feels and sounds better I would say.And I have a tendency after this type of practicing caruso,to continue iwith other practising quite in a same way.
Should I ignore resting and realy stick to 20 min. sessions?
Thanks,
Dominic
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of the 20 minute set until I heard it from Bugleboy in the early days of this forum. I always did the rest/play 50/50 thing when I was studying with CC.

The bottom line on this issue is that you should do what works for you, IMO.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, Carmine only specified playing and resting for equal times when I was doing pedal tone exercises.

For those who did not study with him, I imagine the "Caruso system" is a pretty rigid framework. Carmine, in-person, would adapt and fit the exercises to fit the student. I imagine we all had somewhat unique experiences with him depending on our individual readiness and our particular needs.

Between Charley's suggestions on how to use the Caruso exercises and the actual directions in the book, you've got a great start. From there, adapt with your best judgment.

Of course, study with a former Caruso student would be best if you can work that out.

Best of luck.

Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: