• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Regarding KTM:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Regarding KTM: Reply with quote

Regarding KTM:

The following is a Private Message exchange between me and another TH Member. Given that this originated as an exchange of Private Messages, I have hidden the ID of that member for his or her privacy’s sake.

An anonymous TH Member wrote:
Hey John,

Sorry to drag you away from your practice, but i have a question concering the K modified tonguing approach if you get the chance...

I've been playing around with the K mod. concept just recently and i find
if i try to tongue with the 'anchored' tip i find i move my Jaw to make the tongue strike or my front teeth move to within a hair width of being touching.

Just wondering if you've ever run into this problem or have any thoughts concerning it.

Take Care,

Well first off, stay away from the term and the idea of "Anchor" tonguing. The tongue should NEVER be "anchored" in any way. It should be relaxed and free to move as it needs to. It will often travel right up to the top tips of your bottom teeth, especially when you learn to multiple tongue (double and triple tongue) using the KTM method. Don't try to force your tongue tip or hold it rigid - let it float free in the area behind your bottom front teeth.

Just rest it lightly behind your bottom teeth and tongue with the front-middle portion of your tongue striking the area just above and behind your top front teeth.

Practice this "off the horn" for about 10 minutes a day, just whisper "t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t" over and over, making sure you tongue in the new manner with the front-middle portion of your tongue doing the articulating while your tongue tip restsly (again), LIGHTLY behind your bottom front teeth.

Do the same thing on the horn, just repeating middle G's as quarter notes, over and over. Do this for several weeks, and then start increasing the speed of the notes to eighth notes, then to 1/16th notes. After a month or so, you'll never want to go back to the other way of tonguing!

Cheers,

John

An anonymous TH Member wrote:
Thanks for the advice! i'll work on it off horn for a while like suggested and then go from there. At the moment i'm using a Bobby Shew kind of spit tongue (tongue tip strikes the edge of the top teeth) which i developed naturally with the need for more agility. However, i dislike the fact that it tends to stop the airstream/air flow with each strike.
Anyway, thanks again and i'll see you around when you drop in.
I'm going to be taking a big break from here soon aswell. There are other things that i need to do more valuable then spending my time both reiterating the same thing, and defending myself from crazed nutters lol

Take care!

Actually, in my opinion, Bobby Shew’s way of tonguing is a form of Claude's KTM way of tonguing. Note that with KTM I've told you to let the tip go where it needs to, and never “anchor” it or hold it rigid. As I think about it, when I am playing a funk-rock type piece where you really slap some of the notes, I think my tongue tip might touch my top lip as well as my bottom lip when attacking the note. From what I understand, that’s what Bobby describes.

Remember, we can only describe the generalmovement of the tongue. for each individual player with their different sized mouthes and lips, and also when playing in different musical styles, the exactmotion and position can not be described - one can only find the feelor knack of it with a lot of practice and development.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

P.S. I think what you wrote and how I answered can be valuable to others, so I am going to start a topic thread with this (but I will leave your identity anonymous).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: