• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question while applying 'Prelude to Brass Playing'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HansRhee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Question while applying 'Prelude to Brass Playing' Reply with quote

Hi
I just borrowed a copy of 'Prelude to Brass Playing'.
I'm enjoying reading it very much. I just ran into a question while applying the so-called "Full breath" mentioned in Rafael Mendez's book.
In his book, he taught that concentrating on the lower rib cage and push it down as far as you can. It feels a bit awkward because I feel the uneasy pessure in my stomach, pushing down the organs. Still that is what should be happening according to his method. I wonder if I do that too often or hard it might cause some problems like hernia. Or any suggestions on correct breathing will be great. Please advise.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Mendez is talking about is the diaphram moving down when inhaling. Keep in mind that this large muscle runs horizontal just under the rib cage. In rest position (exhaled) it is dome-shaped, facing upwards. As it flattens (moving downward), air is drawn into the lungs.

I don't think he meant for the ribs to be pushed downwards. It's pretty tough to do that! I would imagine it will be quite uncomfortable to even try to do it.

I re-read that section a couple of times just before writing this and I feel certain that you are misinterpreting his explanations. I have to admit they seem a bit confusing.

Dave Hickman
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a big stumbling block for me for a while. A vocal teacher told me to visualize 'filling up the sides' rather than forcing my abdomen out. It's wierd, but it works for me. The lower portion extends without tension, allowing a fuller breath in less time. It also stopped me from lifting my shoulders, a bad habit my teacher broke me of.

Of course, then I saw Bud Brisbouis. Too bad nobody broke him of lifting his shoulders, just think, he couldda been somebody...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: