• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rod Franks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannystone10
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a rumour that Rod Franks had had some kind of operation and it has temporarily affected his trumpet playing, some kind of paralysis of his face or something. Anyone know anything about this?
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dannystone10
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear, hear, well said Brian.

Rod Franks is an inspiration to me, he is the guy that I heard and thought 'I want to play like him.' He is a great no-nonsense player and teacher and I was lucky enough to be taught by him for a (all too short) while. Is there any way we could send him some sort of E-card to let him know that he is in our thoughts?
greedo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, what terrible news. please keep us posted if you hear anymore. Rod is an absolutely brilliant musician. I had the fortune of getting to be coached by him during some brass rep classes while I was at the royal academy. unfortunately, at that point in `97 he had decided to not teach privately for a while and devote more time to his practicing. Too bad for guys like me who would have loved to study with him, but we all were grateful when we heard the results at the LSO concerts each week. Unreal trumpet playing. I hope everything goes well with his recovery.
-Michael
Concerned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
This truly is some of the saddest news. At the most recent LSO brass ensemble concert (Rods last engagement at the Barbican), many members of his family were present as well as players he has worked with over the years - old colleagues from the Bergen Phil. etc. I had a chance to chat with him after and the early indications are that he could lose all feeling in his face, thus leaving his chops unusable.

For a man who is a master of this beast of an instrument, and who has constantly wowed audiences and fellow pros alike with his sound and technique, this is a really kick in the guts for the entire Brass World

My thoughts go out to Rod and his family at this time.
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear. Do you know how he is doing? When was his last gig?

Brian
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
It was reported in the British Bandsman of 7/9/2002 that Rod Franks was recovering well after 5 hrs of surgery to remove a benign brain tumour in July at Londons' Kings College Hospital. Despite having suffered temporary delayed facial palsy, hopes are high that he'll make a full recovery and return to work in the not too distant future.
The brass band movement were thanked for their "kind words, support and encouragement".

Brian Jones
davidquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a concert in the Barbican London tonight (hey, there is a pattern emerging, David moves to London, David goes to the Barbican lots.. well that's where it's at...)

Rod Franks was played tonight with the LSO Chamber Ensemble. Not sure how long he's been back "in the first team"... It's good to see and hear that he's recovered.

The program tonight was:

Prokofiev : Overture on Hebrew Themes
Prokofiev : Violin Sonata No 2
Stravinsky : The Soldier's Tale

Haven't heard the Stravinsky for years (since school) what a great piece...

The ensmble were very tight.. fantastic musicians...
Kanne
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for updating us - glad to hear that Rod is back.
Kanne
mileage
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased to let you know that Rod is fine.He made a record recovery and is playing just as beautifully as ever.He's lost hearing in one ear,but he has been given an ear-piece that creates a kind of stereo effect in his good ear.Hope that puts your minds at rest!
ShipsAhoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news! Thanks for the update. Listened to the first volume of that dead cheap Gabrieli, Naxos recording the other day. Some incredible playing...(and you just know at least half of them were nursing a hangover!)
davidquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know that Rod Franks has released a CD to pay tribute to those who helped him through his difficult time last year...

read about it (and order it) here... Proceeds from the sale of the CD go to charity.

http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/cds/cdrev069.asp
DeadJahnn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post a link to the Harry James Trumpet Concerto that the late Rod Franks performs on that CD mentioned above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFO9DlFeQo0

I've become quite an admirer of his playing the last couple years, as out of necessity I've started tackling all repertoire on my B flat instrument.

I'm so pleased that there are still these >recent< players to discover, who were able to preserve something of their own style amid otherwise unstoppable homogenization.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: