• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rafael Mendez olds Trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josephtriscari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Rafael Mendez olds Trumpet Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone had his Olds Trumpet?
My first Trumpet was a Mendez model as a kid given to me by my uncle Ray Triscari… had that offset 3rd valve…….
Joe Triscari
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Several of Mendez's Olds trumpets are in the Rafael Mendez Library at Arizona State University, which I set up in 1993. The RML also has an elaborately engraved and gold plated Mendez model given to him by the Olds company. A beautiful presentation, but he didn't think it played as well as the regular ones he had. He never used that one in concert.

The Mendez family still has his early Besson that he used on all of his recordings, even though he was obligated to be pictured holding an Olds on the album covers.

Dave Hickman
Josephtriscari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!
Thank you
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd dig seeing that Besson
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Joe,

Several of Mendez's Olds trumpets are in the Rafael Mendez Library at Arizona State University, which I set up in 1993. The RML also has an elaborately engraved and gold plated Mendez model given to him by the Olds company. A beautiful presentation, but he didn't think it played as well as the regular ones he had. He never used that one in concert.

The Mendez family still has his early Besson that he used on all of his recordings, even though he was obligated to be pictured holding an Olds on the album covers.

Dave Hickman

Can you shed any light on the "presentation" horns ? The story is the first 100 Mendez models ( 86000 to 86099 ) Mr. Mendez gave to fellow trumpet players, friends and family.I've heard this story over the years, I did ask Zig and R. Dale Olsen but have no confirmation to this point. One horn, number 8 I think was given to Skitch Henderson.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gold horn is the only presentation one. I have no confirmation either about Mendez being given 100 free horns to give away. . . I don't think that is true at all. However, Mendez did give several horns to people because the Olds company would give him free replacements.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Mendez model began by at C about Serial Number 86,000? That would make only the first few years of the Mendez from the LA faculty, right?

Is there a resource that lists what the starting serial number for rack model is? I’ve been looking and have found bits and pieces, but I haven’t yet found a succinct list yet.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. Dale Olson has been working on a complete Olds trumpet serial number catalog for years, but he has not yet completed it. . .or at least made it available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: