• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions on schools in central michigan MSU UofM ect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

I've finaly got the trumpet/music bug back and am wanting to finish my music major i had finished just over 1 year of it at a crappy community college and then droped out (that was 1 1/2 years ago now ) anyway

i've sence moved and have been looking at many options for my education, I live in Jackson Michigan, here they have what seems to be a good growing music program (just the opposite of my old school...sux to be the only trumpet and one of 2 brass players)

the school is jackson community college, not bad.

i'm aprox 45 min from ann arbor which has University of michigan, among tons of others and 45 min from lansing which has michigan State...

could anyone recomend what schools to realy look at and consider?...i'd like one more season of marching band so that may be a factor then again it may not as my goal is to grow musicly and FINISH this time around.

thanks for the help

mark aka donalson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont' know where Western Michigan is in relation to you, but that is a pretty good school. The trumpet prof there is really good from what I hear. i think his name is Stephen Jones. I've got a friend that goes there, if you want more info, I could probably pass along his email to you.

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-11-13 09:13, tcutrpt wrote:
I dont' know where Western Michigan is in relation to you, but that is a pretty good school. The trumpet prof there is really good from what I hear. i think his name is Stephen Jones. I've got a friend that goes there, if you want more info, I could probably pass along his email to you.

matt

1 hr and 15 min due west of me...60 some miles....def close enuff to be worth a look

i'd love more info
thanks
mark aka donalson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deleted_user_56590f0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mark,

In my opinion, Western Michigan is a wonderful place for serious study.

They have a well organized school of music, and Scott Thornburg (an old pal from NYTE days) and Steve Jones are terrific teachers.

Audition...

Best,
EC
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Michigan has excellent school of music, with great trumpet profs. I would deffinitely check it out if you are that close.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western Michigan is excellent, with Steve Jones, Scott Thornburg, and a new guy-Scott Cowan doing jazz. Rich Illman at MSU is also very good.
kjb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you go depends on what you want to do. If you're interested in serious performing, U of M would be the place. If you're interested more in teaching, Western (which has really top shelf brass faculty), Central or even Eastern would all be good choices. See if you can schedule a lesson with the teachers before you make a choice.

Cheers,
kjb

[ This Message was edited by: kjb on 2001-12-31 00:13 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with kjb that where you go to school depends on what you want to do.

In the circles I move in, the current assessment is that if you want to strong academics and meaningful grad degrees (especially in writing and research areas of music) you should favor Ann Arbor. If you want a solid undergrad education in music ed go to Kalamazoo. If you are looking at undergrad schools and want to be primarily a player (jazz or classical) then at the present time the best sounding trumpet students and by far the best sounding trumpet sections in all of the various ensembles are at Western. Rich Illman at MSU is very capable and is working hard to change that, but it seems there are a number of things working against him there.

If you are into jazz, don't be fooled by all of the big name artists listed on the MSU jazz faculty. MSU has quite a way to go before their student ensembles sound anywhere as good as the WMU jazz bands and jazz combos.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Thornburg is a wonderful man to work with. Very insightful. What a player!

However, you are going to get a decent prof at all of these schools people have been mentioning. That's 10%. The other 90% is your hard work and dedication.

What's that old cliche?

"If it's to be, it's up to me."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: