• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

D7sus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In jazz band we are playing the song "Big Mama Cass" and on the solo part there is one chord change that I'm not familiar with wich is the D7sus I asked my band teacher but she didn't know what the sus meant.

Also are there any recordings of this songs that you guys think i should listen to?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sus chord means the 4th is suspended. So your D7sus would be voiced D-G-A-C... play your regular mixolydian scale over it just emphasize the 4th.

[ This Message was edited by: dwm1129 on 2002-09-16 16:15 ]
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Buddy Rich recorded Big Mama Cass.
Larry Smithee
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way to hear how this chord sounds on the piano is to play a D in the left hand, and in the right hand play C-E-G-B (the Cmaj7 arpeggio). That's a hipper-sounding voicing than the root-position voicing previously suggested.

As far as how to play over this chord: one way that I like to approach it is to play the minor 7th chord a fourth below. In this case, play Am7 . . . don't emphasize the Dorian 6th in the Am7 and you'll be playing all the "right-sounding" notes for the D7sus.

In fact, if you pretend that you're playing a II-V7 (in this case Am7 - D7) progression without ever resolving to the third of the V7 chord (the F# in this case), you'll also be getting some nice sounds over the D7sus.

Now that I've tossed in my 2¢ I'll pass it to the next guy.

Rich

828-665-3864 / Fax 503 214 7155
Hear my recordings free: www.mp3.com/RichWilley

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2002-09-18 10:48 ]
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notes of a D7sus4 chord are D-G-A-C.

You can think of it as a straight D7 for the purposes of scale tones, but the chord has a more "open" sound that lends itself to alot of added options.

Why?

If you stick the A down at the bottom of the chord (A-D-G-C) you see that you have three intervals of a perfect fourth. That is, A-D, D-G, and G-C. In isolation, each of these intervals implies a key area... A-D vaguely implies D, D-G vaguely implies G, and G-C vaguely implies C.

Woody Shaw would sometimes take a chord like a D7sus4 and play licks based on fourths, like D-A-G-C-Bb-F... (down a fourth, down a step, up a fourth, down a step, repeat). Even though he'd be playing notes that weren't in the scale for D7sus4, all those perfect intervals jumping around at a rapid pace would confound the listener's ear. (Woody was alot deeper than that, but this is just an example of what you could do.)

Anyway, sorry for being so long-winded. Sus chords are fun!
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard a mp3 of the buddy rich band perform it. And what I will do is basically just steal licks from the sax improv. solo that i heard. I will do this until i'm more confortable with the piece then i will start to add my own stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must play the 4th instead of the 3rd: D-G-A-C = D7sus
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Today was the actual performance we did in ocean city with the jazz band where we performed big mama cass. After learning the theory part i just sort of forgot about it and went with the flow when it came to my improv. solo. It was a little weird seeing 50 year old people dancing and screaming at me "go on boy play that horn" and "encore" or "we want more". I got the chance to use the plunger mute too so it made things a little easier. I wana thank you guys for helping with the suggestions and everything.

btw. i was also the only soloist that people applauded for and danced too and screamed for.

http://trumpeter.cjb.net
Trumpet Resource Site

[ This Message was edited by: trjeam on 2002-10-04 23:29 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: