• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece: Silver vs. Gold Plating

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seaninabox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece: Silver vs. Gold Plating Reply with quote

What's the big difference between silver and gold plated mouthpieces? I've played on a silver for most of my playing life and I've tried a Yamaha GP a few times, but I can't really understand the big difference other than aesthetic reasons.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find gold a little slipperier than silver. Other than that, what's wrong with aesthetics.
Leedorham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece: Silver vs. Gold Plating Reply with quote

I too have found gold to be a little slipperier. I played on a gold mp for about 7 or 8 years. I finally bought a silver plated mp and had planned on getting it gold plated but actually found I liked the "grip" of the silver better so just left it as-is. Just a personal preference. I have also heard many make the comment that gold stays warmer. I could never tell.
Valve Oil: chicken fat & kerosene
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that gold is warmer too. I find that hard to believe, because the heat capacity of gold plated brass and silver plated brass is the same to three significant digits.
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a myth.

http://www.grmouthpieces.com/questions15.htm
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the sound of silver i thing is more "live" against the gold , but defently the sound is diferent i own a gold 1.1/5fl Bach and a silver one(same period) and the sound is totaly different.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
I prefer the sound of silver i thing is more "live" against the gold , but defently the sound is diferent i own a gold 1.1/5fl Bach and a silver one(same period) and the sound is totaly different.

Are you sure that's not due to machining differences rather than plating differences? My experience with various Bach mpcs, particularly of different vintages, is that they vary widely in dimension.

I've got several GR mpcs, made to exacting specifications, in both gold and silver and I can't tell them apart by sound. The silver is grippier than the gold. I prefer the feel of the gold.

Dave
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sound is totaly different.

Please, give me a break!

Maybe one needs cleaning.
Podunkparte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have silver and gold mouthpieces and the gold ones, while a little less "sticky" on your lips, are my prefered choice.

It's not that they get warmer.... it's that they get warm faster and stay warm longer, which is very nice in cold weather.

Plus..... come on... they just look sweet.
Lawler TL6-1A #822 -Satin silver w/ polished trim
Bach TR200 -OUCH!

Monette B6
Marcinkiewicz E14 Shew 1
Bach 3C
Schilke 14A4A
blanchard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought about slipperiness as a factor. I have a slight problem with setting my lips for low VS high. Roy once had me goop up my lips with chap stick to help me move them while playing, but all that did was make me out of my element. Do you think gold plating will help me with this, or would it be better to keep working on the embouchure?

Nothing wrong with aesthetics, as I noticed while on a cruise ship that they need to have shiny horns. Orchestra pits, however, could have the ugliest horns and nobody would notice. But if you've got the cash, why not?
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get cold sores/fever blisters and I find the gold to be great when playing during that terrible time. If you have a gig you gotta play if you can, so the slippery nature of gold really helps then, as does a wide rim mouthpiece.

As for sound, I'd bet you could give 100 players gold and silver, put them behind a curtain, tell them to play on both, and you would split 50/50 or close to it as far as trying to figure out which is which when it comes to sound.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the feel of gold mouthpieces, even though I am a dry set player, as they are so smooth. When the honeymoon wears off, I intend to either have my Warburton tops goldplated, or opt for the gold plated ones when I get some deeper cups.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave
i am not sure if the two Bach is exaclly the same but seems to be at the same period "80's"
For the sound quality now , when i say is totally different i dont mean something dramaticly big as i told the silver it sounds to me more "live" , sorry if i cant express my self better but the englihs is not my language.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
Dave
i am not sure if the two Bach is exaclly the same but seems to be at the same period "80's"
For the sound quality now , when i say is totally different i dont mean something dramaticly big as i told the silver it sounds to me more "live" , sorry if i cant express my self better but the englihs is not my language.

You're doing way better than most of the rest of us would do with Greek. We understand you, friend.

Dave
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both Gold and Silver. I have the equivalent Warburton top in both Gold and Silver. The Silver is brighter and lights up quicker than the Gold. The Gold is darker sounding and warms up quicker. Ibfeel like if I really need to play Stronger and louder I would choose the silver. Slipperiness is not a factor for me, but I speak only for me.

In replying to this, I have revived a post from 2005. How is that for waking the Dead? 😄
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a feel difference, gold is softer and transmits temperature better than silver.

Realize that gold must be plated on another precious metal, so a gold mouthpiece usually gold plating over silver; and such a thin layer that it hardly seems possible that it affects the sound. ( I will admit that I think it does change the qualities of a mouthpiece )

Gold won't tarnish, holds it's luster much longer, it's "largely unaffected by air and reagents"; thus easy to keep mouthpieces clean.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't play gold mouthpieces - I need the grippy feel of a silver mouthpiece. (I even have a "roughed up" mouthpiece that I scratched lightly with steel wool for more grip on hot days.)

Since gold feels slippery, I end up mashing the horn into my face to try to keep my chops in place which destroys my endurance. No thanks.

Like all things, you have to find what works best for your particular setup!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I can't play gold mouthpieces - I need the grippy feel of a silver mouthpiece. (I even have a "roughed up" mouthpiece that I scratched lightly with steel wool for more grip on hot days.)

Since gold feels slippery, I end up mashing the horn into my face to try to keep my chops in place which destroys my endurance. No thanks.

Like all things, you have to find what works best for your particular setup!

+1

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold feels like it stays warm longer for me. My recent mouthpieces have all been gold.

I have a Curry 3 Star with a gold rim and cup because I think that’s a sexy look on my silver Bach. Those of you who like aesthetics, which mouthpiece/horn plating combos would you like to brag about?
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Those of you who like aesthetics, which mouthpiece/horn plating combos would you like to brag about?

I have a CarolBrass "Blackhawk" fluegelhorn. "Blackhawk" means the horn is black-nickel plated with gold-plated trim (valve caps, water keys, etc). So I had a Curry 3FL. mouthpiece gold-plated, and it looks really nice. I do not notice any difference between an original silver-plated 3FL. and the gold-plated mouthpiece, except the aesthetic difference.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: