• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

too much

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gennaro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: too much Reply with quote

Second time i add exercise to the CR schedule, second time I get in trouble. First time was FLexus, now is Clarke ala caruso.
Main problem is time for practice: if I have 2 e 1/2 hours, I can't do 2 hours of Caruso.... and 1 need for the schedule and 1 for the extra material.....
How can i arrange this? If I stop my practice to the schedule will I renunce to some possible improvement?
I'm sad because both with Flexus and with Clarke I was getting good results before trouble.....
regards
Gennaro
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you worked all the way through all three of the "Getting Started" threads? If you have not, I would not worry about doing supplementary calisthenics. I would spend all the rest of my available practice time working on musical things.

If you have worked your way all the way through the Getting Started threads and have worked on the final lesson for several weeks then I suggest you develop a way to replace some of the Caruso material with Flexus, Clarke, etc. I have found that what works for me is to do the six notes and the interval chart and then replace some or all of the remaining material (harmonics, clarinet book stuff, pedals, etc.) with similar things from Flexus.

If you are having good luck with the CC material and have not yet completed all of the Getting Started course you should be patient. You will eventually be able to work on these other things. Don't be in a hurry.

No one should spend more than 1/2 to 1/3 of their practice time doing calisthenics. For me, about 1/3 calisthenics and 2/3 other stuff (mostly music and improv) seems perfect.
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know for me, i dont have a lot of time to fit it all either.

but when i know i have something big coming up (like performances that i know i have to have FLAWLESS) i do a lot of calisthenic material throughout the day (making sure i am not tired) and i'll do this routine for maybe a week or more.. for example, i'll do the caruso stuff i have to do first, then end it with clarke (caruso way). after that, i'll play some music (if i got tired from the clarkes and caruso i'll play music for about 5 minutes. if not tired, i'll play for 20) then i will take a break for maybe 30 mins or more. then i'll do flexus stuff (only some exercises). then more music. then break. then clarke (normal way) then more music. then break. then more flexus (different exercises than i had done before), then more music, then break, etc etc etc.
this usually gets me prepared for the demand of making sure that nothing fails at all. it will give me enough calisthenics to coordinate everything i need to work. by the end of the week i know i can PLAY.

normally, depending on the days, i can fit only some flexus. other days i can do the entire routine that i have made out for myself. but i always try to fit some clarkes in there...and usually i do it just after caruso, or maybe i'll wait a bit depending on the circumstances. other times i may stick music in there prior to clarkes. it just depends.

hope that helps a little.
but remember, thats just me.

dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: