• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

All the books?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Do you think that it would be beneficial to get a hold of and use at the same time all of Claude's books on trumpet playing. I am a big fan of SATDTP but have never seen the others. (suppose I should just order them and get it done huh.)
Anyways, thoughts, comments, snide remarks?
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the books? Of course, if you've time and inclination to use them... You may find the elementary one too easy, however... And, don't forget that SA references quite a few other books you'll need for a balanced practice regime. Personally, I like getting all the stuff myself; info is often presented in a different way, in more or less detail, and it helps me to get a broader perspective. Theoretically.

John addressed this question a while back; hopefully a search will help you find his post (I'd do it, but I'm essentially a lazy swine, and besides you asked! ) Not as a bona-fide CG student, but based upon my research and use of the books, I'd suggest SA (natch!) and Brass Playing is No Harder then Deep Breathing as a minimum, and take a close look at Tongue Level Exercises as it may help get the tongue thing down better. Brass Playing... is textual, but it's an interesting read and gives a lot of insight into CG's thoughts and methods. I feel it's very worthwhile background material.

Hopefully John or EBJazz will step in and provide a better answer soon.

HTH - Don
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what Don said - get the Daily Routines too
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have about 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day to practice, a good routine would consist of about 15 minutes of flexibilities from any of the flexibility books out there, a Clarke study (done in the way outlined in Claude's "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing"), a lesson out of the "Daily Trumpet Routines" book (start with lesson 2 or 3), and then finish off with the Part 1 and Part 2 Exercises from Lesson 2 of "Systematic Approach".

Every two weeks change lessons in DTR and SA, and every two weeks change to a different model of articulation on the Clarke (as outlined in "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing").

Irons "27 Groups of Exercises" is the flexibility book I would recommend. Start by using Exercises 5 - 9 in it.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Tongue Level Exercises.
This is Claude's best book. I've outlined some of the exercises in a post below.
His Velocity Studies book is simply Hanon for trumpet.
Daily Routines is a book of pedal tone exercises that are largely mechanical.
To tell you the truth, Claude didn't use his own books that much with me. I did have five years of lessons with Carl Leach before I was sent on to Claude, so if you're interested in his approach, let me know.
Chances are, you are not interested in Leach's approach and if you are, you lack the dedication and desire neccasary. This cat was a tyrant. There is nothing like Carl Leach alive today.
Don't ask me to post things for entertainment. Do it because it is what you wish to do!
Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: