• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herseth Recordings??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CSO website is a good place to start for CSO DVDs. That Hindemith DVD is a "must have" for any CSO fan - great music, and lots of closeups of Bud, the trumpet section, and Jake.

I'm also going to lead you to some other sources for CSO DVDs, but these are of at best "questionable" legality. If that doesn't bother you, then read on!

The Tennstedt Mahler 1 is available on DVD from Parnassus in what appears to be a home computer transfer of the video tape. Here's a link:

http://www.parnassusrecords.com/video.htm

I have several of their DVDs, including the Tennstedt Mahler 1, the Cleveland set with our own mstrpt and Jack Sutte playing Monke rotary trumpets, a St Louis set with Pulcinella and Beethoven 9, and a Cincinnati DVD. Great stuff, but again homemade DVDs of questionable legality.

I have a Chinese bootleg of the Solti Wagner overtures, apparantely copied from the laserdisc release. From time to time I've seen this DVD from this Ebay seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/COOLICELAND111_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Again, I'm not so sure about legality issues here, but if you'd like to see this performance, this is about the only possiblity. They also sell many other interesting things, plus there are other Ebay sellers, some from Hong Kong or mainland China who also sell this type of DVD.

I have yet to see the Solti Bruckner 7 or Bartok on DVD - hopefully they'll release those someday.

JU
trumpetchad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpt wrote:
I have yet to see the Solti Bruckner 7 or Bartok on DVD - hopefully they'll release those someday.

John, the Bruckner 7 is one of the best recordings I have, and given that's it's live makes it even more exciting. Seeing Bud and Phil Smith play so well is so exciting to watch. The concert is in the Royal Albert Hall in London (presumably part of the Proms?) and they play for a standing room audience. There are so many people up front (for the entire work) that they appear to be pushing each other to get their "spot". The enthusiasm they show at the end is so great to see. Bud seems to be getting stronger and stronger as the piece goes on. I hope they release this on DVD at some point.
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t-chad, are the trumpets on that Bruckner DVD playing pistons or rotaries? And how are things in the Steel City? Are you wearing your motorcycle helmet in honor of Big Ben? Has GV benched 500 pounds yet?
johntpt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Solti Bruckner 7 is pistons. I've seen this one before.

JU
johntpt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one for the CSO junkies out there. If you like the series of WGN CSO DVDs, you'll love this one.

http://www.classicalvideorarities.com/store/index.php

This site sells a WGN concert from 1960 of the CSO with conductor Andre Kostelanetz, with a nice program of Chabrier Espaņa, Borodin Polovetzian Dances, Ravel Mother Goose Suite, Barber Intermezzo, and Toch Circus Overture. The video quality is not the best, but there are lots of trumpet section shots, which is Bud, Cicowicz, Kaderabek, and a young Will Scarlett. Bud uses a nice hand vibrato in this concert, and of course they sound great, especially in the Toch, which has some wicked trumpet writing and a cadenza-like passage for 2 trumpets. Unlike the VAI DVDs this one has the spoken commentary from the broadcast, which in my opinion is a priceless time capsule.

That website sells many other nice DVDs, including some rare Giulini LA Phil concerts (check out the Tchaik 6 from Japan!) and 2 great concerts with the National Symphony - Copland's 80th birthday, and a Stravinsky Celebration. The trumpet section features Steve Hendrickson and Adel Sanchez who sound fantastic! He also sells many old BSO concerts with Voisin and Ghitalla in the section.

I will add that these are homemade DVDs. None of the ones I have work on my DVD players, but they work perfectly in my computer!

JU
trumpetchad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTee wrote:
t-chad, are the trumpets on that Bruckner DVD playing pistons or rotaries? And how are things in the Steel City? Are you wearing your motorcycle helmet in honor of Big Ben? Has GV benched 500 pounds yet?

As John said, yes they are playing pistons (HORRORS!) and they sound absolutely fantastic. To me, the sound is perfect, even if they didn't use sidewinders (what would the trumpet gods think?!?!?!).

Steel City is good -- Hopefully Big Ben wears a helmet now (idiot!). Super Bowl repeat dreams are still alive....for now.
Misenus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The album Contrasts for Trumpets (with Tony Plog, Urban Agnas, Bo Nilsson, Claes Stromblad, and Otto Sauter) is a great one with Herseth in it; the playing is fantastic and the compositions also.

Bud can also be heard on an album with the Asbury Brass Quintet. As far as other solo stuff, I know there are a couple cds on Amazon floating around with his recording of the Haydn.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchad wrote:
FTee wrote:

As John said, yes they are playing pistons (HORRORS!) and they sound absolutely fantastic. To me, the sound is perfect, even if they didn't use sidewinders (what would the trumpet gods think?!?!?!).

go pistons!! ...the axe of true gods.

dj
Martromba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpt wrote:
Great analysis of Bud's style, John! We can all learn something from every CSO CD.

Just to qualify: Bud is on all CSO recordings from 1948 until he retired a few years ago. There are a number of CSO recordings from before 1948, and a small handfull from after Bud stepped down, the most promonent being the Barenboim recording of the Furtwangler Symphony No. 2 which features Craig Morris, who sounds great!

Yesterday I was listening to the Giulini Brahms 4 from the EMI Giulini-CSO set. WOW! Such a beautiful recording filled with drama and emotion, with lush strings and in-tune winds. I much prefer this to the later Solti recording of the same piece.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001ZMBV0/sr=8-1/qid=1150890760/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-5862347-1595007?%5Fencoding=UTF8

This set should be on every fan of the CSO's shelf - Brhams 4, Bruckner 9, Mahler 1, Beethoven 7, Petrouchka, and Firbired, in the CSO's heyday and with Giulini, one of the best. Plus it only costs $24 for 4 CDs!!

JU

John

I guess that is a compliment but it is incorrect. I played first on the Hannibal "African Portraits" and the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique/Marseillaise recordings from '95 when Bud had heart surgery and most of the Varese album with Boulez ( Arcana, Ameriques,etc) that won a Grammy several years back. There are also several cuts from the Wagner Overtures II CD that Bud did not play. I believe there are several concerto CD's that Bud did not play.(Vengerov, Shaham) Towards the end of his tenure, he did play on fewer recordings.
Mark Ridenour

Mark Ridenour
johntpt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark-

Thanks so much for the info. Do you know if Bud is playing on the Boulez Firebird recording?

JU
Hipster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Bud DVDs Reply with quote

Speaking of Herseth DVDs. Is there a DVD for his farewell concert?
KJaeger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet mentioned is the Scriabin "Poem of Ecstasy" paired with Pictures, conducted by Neeme Jarvi (on Chandos), with Herseth as the soloist. Jarvi's interpretation of Pictures is a little odd for my taste, but Herseth's playing on the Scriabin is thrilling!

Also, there is Herseth's Haydn concerto on the "Chicago Principal" compilation CD from Deutsche Gramophone (a collection of concertos performed by the various CSO principals).

Schilke B7
1935 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore
Bach 37 (rebuilt by Charlie Melk) w/ MTV-525 leadpipe
Kanstul 1510-A C trumpet
Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two videos I stumbled across last night, the Solti/Pictures (audio out of synch):

Link

and Bruckner 7 (sound isn't the best):

Link

There used to be a video on youtube of Solti doing Shostakovich 1 with the CSO, the trumpets were Bud, Charles Geyer, and Philip Smith. It is no longer there, but does anyone have any information on this performance? I believe it was also from a tour but I cannot find any record of it, as I can the other video performances previously mentioned in this thread.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received CSO, Reiner, Scheherazade in 180 gram vinyl from RCA master tapes. Can't imagine anyone vinyl-equipped being disappointed in this edition. Woodwinds and violin-1 are especially strong, but Bud is always spot on when called upon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: