• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scott Holbert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakepainter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several months ago whilst the ITG conferance was on in manchester, i was introduced to a guy called Scott Holbert, who was a reinhardt pupil.

Although I have been studying the Claude Gordon method and making considerable progress since last Christmas i am always open to new ideas, and when Scott offered to give me a lesson i was very keen. Let me firstly say that Scott is a monster player. I love it when a teacher shows you what they can do, and scott has a seemingly endless range.

Although the lesson was not a complete reinhart overview by any means, Scott watched and listened to me play and reccomended i put slightly more pressure on the right side of my chops as i ascend, and man this just worked straight away. This has really worked for me. My double C is so much more loud and reliable than it was before.

So if anyone is looking for a Reinhart teacher in the Washington area, try Scott out.

His details

http://www.john-mcvey.com/crabtownebigband/Biographies/Scott_Holbert.htm

e-mail docholby@hotmail.com

cheers

Jake
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the lip pucker on that guy!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott is an aquaintance of mine and you are right, monster chops and knows how to diagnose chop problems. I keep saying that I'm going to get back to him so that we can get some mouthpieces made for me, but our schedules just don't line up. He has even gone so far to put my mouthpieces on a lathe and make minor adjustments to them for free. Heck of a guy and a great player.

He's also a fine mouthpiece maker and will really work with you to get you EXACTLY what you need and his prices are very reasonable considering the level of effort he gives to you.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott is a fantastic player and teacher.
I've been using his mouthpieces for 2 years and they are excellent.
WEG
Bobby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known and play with Scott for years now.....listen to what he says.....he's a real player....and he knows...he biult and developed his talent, so he knows how to teach..he also makes all of my mouthpieces....check out his site http://www.holbrass.com
Bob List, Baltimore
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type is Scott?
Bobby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott is a IV-A upstream.
hairy james

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've never seen Scott play in person, the pictures of him on his web-site show him to be a strait type IV. His horn angle is much to high to be a type IVA. Chris

Hey guys, I went back and checked ALL the pictures of Scott just to be sure. In some of the pictures he does look IVA, so I could be wrong. I talked to him on the phone once about a mouthpiece and I think he said he was a strait type IV but then again I'm not sure about that either. One thing is for sure, he's definitely upstream. It's kind of hard to tell someones type from a still picture because you never know just when the picture was snapped. I mean was the guy just starting to place the mouthpiece when it was taken? or was he actually blowing a note? or was he just starting to take the horn down after playing? Outside of having someone actually playing right in front of you, a good clear video with some good close up shots is always the best bet. Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-10-01 07:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-10-01 07:13 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I definately don't have the knowledge base that you do to argue but your statement confused me. My father has been typed a IVA by Doc yet he has a horn angle that is nearly perfectly flat....perhaps only a very slight bit below horizontal. I guess Doc based his typing by viewing 1/8 top, 7/8 bottom through the plexiglass MP.

BTW...I would like to call you sometime soon. What hours are best?
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold it...who am I to question the knowledge of one of the finest trumpet players in the U.S??
hairy james

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan, are you kidding? you say that because you've never heard me play. Anyway, flattery will get you nowhere ( just kidding). Call me any weeknight around 5 or 6 p.m. Fla. time, I'm almost always home at that time.

Chris
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott is a straight type IV......he corrected me on this.... :^)
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-11 21:01, BobList wrote:
Scott is a straight type IV......he corrected me on this.... :^)

Don't mess with Chris, man, he's knows his Reinhardt stuff!

How's things in FL there, Chris . . . you still with us, buddy?

Rich
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Rich...SCOTT corrected me on this... not Chris......( even though he was right on the money)..LOL...I play with Mr Holbert a few times a week;, he saw my post and laid into me..." I'm a straight IV, NOT a IV-A..!!!"....and proceeded to explain why in detail.........(don't mess wit' Scotty...!! The man knows his S**t)..... y'all gotta check out his "Send in the Clowns" clip on his site.... http://www.Holbrass.com.....I gotta split lead or play second next to this guy.....talk about tryin' to stay on top o' yer game...whew...Bob List, Baltimore :^)

[ This Message was edited by: BobList on 2002-11-12 22:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: boblist on 2002-11-12 22:21 ]
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-12 22:18, BobList wrote:
No, Rich...SCOTT corrected me on this... not Chris......( even though he was right on the money)..LOL...I play with Mr Holbert a few times a week;, he saw my post and laid into me..." I'm a straight IV, NOT a IV-A..!!!"....and proceeded to explain why in detail.........(don't mess wit' Scotty...!! The man knows his S**t)..... y'all gotta check out his "Send in the Clowns" clip on his site.... http://www.Holbrass.com.....I gotta split lead or play second next to this guy.....talk about tryin' to stay on top o' yer game...whew...Bob List, Baltimore :^)

I guess my point was that Chris could spot it from a photo or two . . . yes, he was right on the money. I've listened to the stuff on Scott's site, too, and he sounds like a IV. Next time we'll give Chris the blindfold test and see if he can type somebody blindfolded!

Have a nice day, unless you've made other plans!

Rich
hairy james

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Richie!

I'm not going to say that this is a cold hard fact but sometimes you can tell the types by the sound.

To me every type has it's own sound qualities. To my ears the IIIA has a light almost hollow quality to the sound, the core is very bright but not very dense. The IV's have a much denser core than the IIIA's but it's also a lot smaller and more pointed. Also the IV tends to thin out as they go up and a lot of them tend to play sharp up there. Now the IIIB, what can I say it's the Rolls Royce of all the types sound wise, but try finding a IIIB with a good extreme upper register and you'll have to look around for a while. The IIIB sound when its right is big beautiful and has a huge dense core, great for lead, commercial work or classical. The IIIB was Doc's favorite type "sound wise".

Now guys, don't jump all over me on this one. Like I said these are just very broad generalizations.

But ask yourself this; Does Dave Stahl not sound like a IIIA? and what about Cat Anderson does he not sound like a IV? And just from listening to early Maynard could you not tell that he is a IIIB?

I can hear the type traits in all the above sounds. And yes many times I have been right on the money about someones type just from hearing their sound on a tape or record.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: