• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Would like your thoughts on my routine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilbandguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Would like your thoughts on my routine. Reply with quote

Ok, so I am a high school band director and two months ago decided that my personal practice needed to move up the list of importance. That being said, I have had a wonderful two months in my practice, being able to get about 2hrs a day. What I am currently doing now is as follows:

Stamp lip buzzing exercises
Pivot Stabilizer
Stamp Basic Warm-Ups (3 and second half of 4)
Warm-Up #57
Stamp Slur Exercises (Last two)
Clarke Studies (single tonguing speed/extended range/control)
Brandt 34 Studies
Repertoire
Concone Lyrical Studies
Warm-Down

I started adding lip bends today (5 minutes) as I have been having a slight problem with my bottom lip "falling" out when working on fast tonguing/wide range etudes.

Any general thoughts? I am enjoying the work-out right now and will substitute various exercises once I reach some of my goals (single tonguing tempo, etc.) I don't have a lot of trumpet players that I hang out with right now so you guys are it. Any suggestions?
tobidowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are hitting a lot of good stuff. As long as it is accomplishing what your goals are in terms of improvement you should be good. Just keep at it on a consistent basis.

Keep us informed of your progress. Best of luck.

As a fellow BD I can definitely relate to your situation. I am in need of stepping up my practice as well.
ilbandguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the hardest thing in the world knowing you are a BD and not being able to work on your own art. For the better part of ten years I have struggled with finding time for practice. Heck, marching season kills me no matter what I do. With the amount of time I spend at school, my wife does not want me playing in either of the two wind ensembles in the area. It is a struggle.

I have started coming in to work about an hour earlier and using half of my planning period and 30 minutes after school to accomplish my goals. I want to start playing again for churches/weddings and start teaching privately again.
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Reinhardt folks would tell you that if you're going to use their materials, it's a mistake to buzz as a warmup before the pivot stabilizer. See page 168 #9 of the Encyclopedia.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhxHorn wrote:
I think the Reinhardt folks would tell you that if you're going to use their materials, it's a mistake to buzz as a warmup before the pivot stabilizer. See page 168 #9 of the Encyclopedia.

Not to mention the Stamp pedals.

Are there any community bands in your area? Learning band music gives another incentive to practice.

Kent

Last edited by oxleyk on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand how it it difficult to balance your artistic needs with work and homelife but, if your wife were to relent enough to allow you some performance time, she might find that you are overall a better mate and companion. Just something which might be worth negotiating.

I suggest this because in my first marriage I made concessions which essentially stifled my creativity, and in the end it was the root of our breakup.

veery
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is: Are you covering everything that is demanded of your own performance playing? If you're doing club date or big band things that require some extensive upper range, for example, you might be a bit weak there, even with your comments on Clarke. Or if you have a symphony gig, you might need to do more in the multiple tonguing areas daily, beyond the Brandt. Such a gig often requires the ability to extend dynamics in both directions beyond that which is comfortable at present. The Concone might cover this, maybe not, depending on how you approach it. (Personally, at the end of my routine, I don't worry a lick about "warming down".)

After one has finished a lot of the formal schooling, where the studio or teacher determined the material, we have to learn to maintain that which is important to "the gig" we end up with if we have one. In that regard, make it your daily routine, customize things to what you need, or towards that which you aspire to do at some point. Those points should be your guide.

Finally, if you have some decent brass students in your program, you might be able to help yourself and them by doing this together at 7:00 am or some time ahead of or after work. It will bring their level up if you have a good, serious relationship with them and I'd bet it would make you much more aware and focused in your own efforts. (I can say with no hesitation that the absolute best learning experiences for me all through life have been playing next to someone who, by their very presence, requires me to up my own level. What a great teaching moment for us- yet how often do we really do this?) Do the warm-ups, tonguing, breathing, etc. exercises together along with some easy ensemble chorale work. Insist that a different student lead- have a rotation or something. Their having to do so will make them think and analyze what they're doing, and you may just find some leadership you didn't know existed.

Good luck.
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Stamp routines involve pedal tones, you're working at cross-purposes with the Reinhardt stuff, which prohibits them.

You're basically doing one thing with the Stamp routines, and then undoing it with the Reinhardt stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: