• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WB Yamaha info

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarkie wrote:
Yamaha confirmed with me that the model number is YTR-8335LA for Lacquer and YTR-8335LAS for the silver version.

jonalan wrote:
Any update on when this horn is due out yet? Or price range?

Also, I heard somewhere that the model number was YTR-8335LA. Is this accurate or will it be the Yamaha WB?

The horn is now available for order at www.wwbw.com or www.music123.com. Expected delivery at the end of June.
davyar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne:

Your Horn Of Puente solo on the Big Phat Band XXL CD is wonderful. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! I just got the CD two days ago. If it's possible to wear out a CD, I'll do it with this one!

If you ever come to St. Louis, I'll be first in line to buy tickets.

Dave

Olds Recording Trumpet (1968)
Olds Ambassador Cornet (1950)
Olds Ultratone Bugle
Lyon & Healy Cornet (1930)
Conn Perfected Wonder (1912)
BradHarrison
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the info that's posted on WWBW.

Woodwind&Brasswind wrote:
The YTR8335 LA Series Custom Bb Trumpet was developed in cooperation with famed LA studio veteran Wayne Bergeron. Designed for players needing an open instrument that is flexable and free-blowing, takes the same bell of the Yamaha 8301Z trumpet and adds a large bore tuning slide and a Malone MB1 leadpipe. Perfect for the needs of both the soloist and the lead player in the trumpet section.

The price is $1795 for lacquer and $1895 for silver.

I must say I'm a little afraid because I liked the new Z a lot and this horn seems to be even more in line with my tastes. I guess that's $2000 I can kiss goodbye.
Ben17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this horn looks amazing. This is a silly question, but how why go with a 'regular' leadipipe as opposed to reverse lead. I think my understanding is way off, because I thought most 'lead' horns were reverse lead. While I know this isin't the case, since I played the Destino, a standard, and loved it. But I think reverse lead has a stigma to it. I think the horn looks great, and I'd love to play one...if only there was a music store in Arizona that actually carried anything. I was just wondering if regular versus reverse lead was something like high schoolers and silver plated instruments. Input appreciated.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben17, selection of a reverse leadpipe vs. a standard leadpipe has nothing to do with stigma or image. On a given trumpet some will prefer one and some the other. Obviously, WB prefers the response of his trumpet with a "standard" leadpipe. Bobby Shew, OTOH, must prefer a reverse lead on his trumpet (the YTR-8310Z). Believe me, neither Wayne, Bobby or Mike Vax over at Getzen, is going to pick one over the other based anything other than the response.

Dave
Ben17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well and that's kind of what I meant by stigma. I thought almost everybody preffered a reverse lead. So many manufactures make and offer it on their models, and it seems to be pushed. Look at the yamaha artist C, reverse lead. The extremely popular Z, reverse lead, and all the schilke's. I don't know what Monette uses, but I think reverse lead. I realize the decision of a player is based on response and feel, but I thought reverse lead did respond 'better'. I thought reverse lead was perhaps a bit 'quicker', and more responsive. I own a Bach strad with a standard leadpipe, and I really digged the feel of my buddies reverse lead bach, and my friends reverse lead Z, and Xeno. So I guess maybe I created that stigma in my head. That's why I like trumpetherald. Always learning, realizing, and understanding new things.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some extent there is a stigma when it comes to reverse over standard leadpipe design. Although, there is a stigma on every aspect of trumpet design. The stigmas aren't market wide though. They're more player by player. Some guys refuse to play a reverse leadpipe while others live by it. Just like some are dead against heavy horns and some swear by them. As with anything, we bring out own opinions and personal taste into the equation. Good or bad, that can taint the way we perceive things. Since no two players are exactly alike, there is no set standard or design for any one style of play. If there was, every manufacturer would have one pro trumpet and be done with it. Ahhh, that would make things so much easier for me.

All that aside, you can't look at any one aspect of a trumpet and pigeon hole it based on that. A reverse leadpipe on it's own won't make a trumpet more or less responsive. Every other design spec (bore size, bell taper, bell material, leadpipe taper, tuning slide crook, etc...) has to be looked at. Just like the rest of us, the pros know what they like and want their horns to meet that. Believe me, in my experience with them, they won't accept anything other than exactly what they want.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
A reverse leadpipe on it's own won't make a trumpet more or less responsive.

Brett,

I agree with 95% of your post, and 99.9% of what you usually post, but I disagree with this statement. Take a horn, change the lead pipe in either direction (to or from a reverse leadpipe) and you will notice a change in response on the horn. That's why they are offered.

I don't like a reverse leadpipe. They just have not worked for me on the 3 Yamaha trumpets I have owned. I have a passionate opinion about Yamaha trumpets, but I wonder if the fact that all of the Yamahas I have really disliked all had reverse leadpipes is the reason I feel about Yamaha the way I do?

I hope you take this the right way -- like I said, I agree with 99.9% of what you write an TH.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a very saintly trumpet that developed a stigma on the side of its bell (impressed by divine favor, I believe). My trumpet repairman put a patch on it, and it has played just fine ever since.
Ben17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandman, I think Mr. Getzen (I don't want to call you Brett for some reason, probably becaue I only think thats your first name ; I think he's trying to say that a trumpet can still feel incredibly responsive, or the exact opposite based on several other factors. I'm beginning to think it may often be like the irrelevance of bore size. I believe the Destino uses a rounded but standard tuning slide to sort of meet half way with people preferences. I would love to try the new yamaha, I would even unfortunately be so favorably biased when trying it simply because I admire Wayne Bergeron so much. Now all I have to do is talk a music shop down here in to actually picking up something other than jupiter, a strad 37 and a xeno.
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben17,

I understood what he meant, but I wanted to make certain that he understands that many people take what is said in a literal sense. The reverse leadpipe changes the horn, but not as much as the overall setup.

My local Yamaha dealer is already on getting me a new WB. I'm lucky in that they have known how much I have not been a Yamaha pro line fan, but a great fan of Wayne's, and follower of the developement of this new horn.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben17, my first name is Brett so you can call me that. I don't really go for the whole Mr. Getzen thing. That's my dad.

Anyway, what I meant is that judging the response of a trumpet based on whether or not it has a reverse leadpipe is foolish. If you have two identical horns except one is reverse and one is standard the reverse will be more responsive. However, if you have two completely different designs and setups you can't just say the reverse is more responsive. Other factors may affect the responsiveness one way or another. To only look at one feature and ignore everything else doesn't tell you anything.

Regardless of all that, you never really know until you play the horn yourself. You can read the descriptions that I or any other salesman writes up, but those should only be a guide or suggestion. The real test should be personal experience with the horn.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:

crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on , Brett. By the way, I met Mrs. Getzen at NAMM. What a nice lady! She said Namm wasn't quite ready for your presence . . . . !
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I'm sure she was thinking much more than that.

Actually, I used to go to NAMM every year. Then my older sister wanted to start attending trade shows too so she took my place. This year though, Mary Rima went instead of Bridget too offer more help to our new Sales Manager Dave Surber since it was his first NAMM with us.

One of these days I'm sure I'll have to go back. Since sales aren't my forte and I really don't care for trade shows, the longer I go with having to be there the better off I am.

I still with just going to Musik Messe for now.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:

dan_ostler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a note from Wayne here. I'm always interested in what people play and why.

Now the question: do you prefer the lacquer or the silver? And why??
Olds Mendez, Clark Terry Flugel
Old Ambassador Cornet, Trumpet
Olds Mellophonium
(Is there a pattern emerging here??)
Hanns Hainlein 1632 Replica, MF Firebird
(I guess not......)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: