• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lacquer's off, what's next?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stripped a couple of old horns of their partial lacquer, and done the polishing to get rid of the spots creating a unified finish, now I want to know how to darken the surface uniformly: to make them look like the dull Monet type finish... Does anyone know, is there something I can apply to do this? (I've heard of using beer, but how to apply it uniformly? and what about the bubbles...?)

Then, is there something I can use to seal the surface so that I'm not exposed to the raw brass?

Thanks kindly!
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked to people who said they wiped the horn with valve oil, wiped it off, and then let the horn sit for a day. I've never been brave enought to try it but I thought I would pass it on. I also have heard of using turtlewax to have something between the rawbrass and you.
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going for a look? Not sound?

You might try 0-0-0 steel wool to put on a matt or flat finish.
Benge Bb, 5x, ml, #8162 (Burbank 1967), gold plated
Benge C, 2x+, mlp, #7481 (Burbank 1966), silver plated
Benge D/Eb, ml, #6579 (Burbank 1965), raw brass
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885 (1990)

[ This Message was edited by: UsedBits on 2002-09-26 19:42 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply #1: Yes, a look, not a sound. I plan to put them on stands and line em up on stage but keep on playing my 77 Benge (whose old finish I don't change)

Reply #2: As someone here quotes Mingus, "the sound's in the horn..."

Specifically, it a Q-non flugal (mid 60s) and an Olds large bore mellophone (mid 70s) that I'm trying to change. Already, striped and polished, they look allot better. The rubbed up-matte idea is interesting, but sounds too invasive, I don't want to remove mass.... I'll try valve oil, but any more suggestions out there?
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stripped a lot of horns. If you want the dark look, just leave them alone and nature will take care of it through oxidation.

You can also put it on super soak in the dishwasher and the heat will darken the brass. Two hints regarding the dishwasher method: take the valves out first, and don't tell you wife.

Good luck!

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monette bead blasts (low pressure chamber) their horns to get that satin finish (not the ugly hand brush look)

all of the new models are 24k gold with this finish..

are far as just making your raw brass dark then jhatpro is correct.. but i would just let it happen natrually, it wont take but a few days..

of course soaking in some one-step (perxiode based cleaner) will make it happen really fast...

good luck...

My Schilke X3Lb in Satin Gold
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f4577e3_1283/bc/X/__hr_x.jpg?BCoZaR_ARis3g4PD[/img]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!
keefro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you find was the best method for stripping the lacquer off the horns?
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an OLD thread!
I just used some paint & finish stripper I got at the hardware store. It was sprayable so I could get it everywhere on the horn uniformly. (Do this outside or somewhere there is mucho ventilation). Then rince in a sink. Stubborn patches had to be done over. I never found a way to make a Monet like finish though. They are sand-blasted or something. An E.K. Blessing cornet I got after this orig. post has intact darkened lacquer and I guess that satisfied my estetic demands. A raw brass Olds Studio cornet put the flugalhorn out of business for me...I don't play the Queeny any more since I got the cornets. I'm tempted to sell it actually. I'm noit playing mellophones anymore either. At least until I can afford one that's in tune in every register.
jsou1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Method for those too impatient to let a raw brass horn form a natural patina over time...(from one who knows)

This WILL work. I've done it. But it does darken up the horn and if you leave it too long it will REALLY darken it up. If the horn is yellow brass, it's works pretty well. If the bell (for instance) is copper or red brass, it can darken to almost black in color. See below - If you don't use caution it can also be dangerous:

1) Get a clear plastic container (TupperWare etc.) that is about 22" (long) X 12" - 18" (wide) and 18" or so high. It has to seal so get one with a cover.

2) Fashion some sort of a stand for inside the container ( a rack etc.) so that you can put your horn in the container but 6" or more off the bottom.

3) Fill the bottom of the container with "Commercial Grade Alcohol. You can find this in a hardware store. For this size container a gallon jug is perfect. Note: Dont' have your horn in the alcohol!

4) Optional: If you place a couple of copper "plumbing fittings" in the bottom of the container (in the alcohol) that seems to help the process along, but it's not necessary. Copper in the alcohol seems to bring about some sort of increased chemical reaction.

5) Place your horn in the container on the rack at least 3" above the alcohol. Close the cover and keep an eye on it. You should received your desired result in anywhere between 10 - 30 minutes.

6) Allow to air dry and then rinse the horn completely.

Precautions:

1) Take the valves out first

2) I also cover the openings of the valve casing (top & bottom) with plastic wrap (you're not trying to oxidize your inner valve casing

3) You will need a filter mask of some sort, rubber gloves and I would also suggest goggles. When you open the container the alcohol fumes can knock you on your _ _ _

Disclaimer: The method above does work. But the BEST way to let your raw brass horn form a patina is naturally, over time.

[ This Message was edited by: jsou1 on 2003-10-01 14:13 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: