• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New edition of Stamp with play-along CDs available

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dambly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: New edition of Stamp with play-along CDs available Reply with quote

The new 9th Edition of the Stamp Warmups + Studies, which includes play-along CDs in B-flat and C, is now availble online at Pender's Sheet Music Service:

http://www.penders.com/c/1588/p/145100/warmups-plus-studies

The play-along material on the CDs is all new and covers the major exercises in the book, and was composed by Thomas Stevens.

You can also order the book directly from the publisher, Editions BIM. Complete information is available on the publisher's website:

About the book:
http://www.editions-bim.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_17_66&products_id=2

About the CDs:
http://www.brass-bulletin.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=166:js-the-original-warm-ups&catid=23:trumpet&Itemid=38

Last edited by dambly on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about ordering yet another copy of Stamp so I can get the CDs. Has anyone here used or heard the CDs? Any reviews or comments?

Inquiring minds want to know!
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpets and mouthpieces: the ones I make

Last edited by anrapa on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim-Wilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I've been using the new Stamp book with the CD for about 6 weeks now. I love it! It's all done with a synthesizer and you are forced to keep everything in tune and centered (unless you don't mind sounding terrible). It certainly seems to help me.

When I first started, I sounded lousy. I'm just now 4 months into a 36 year away comeback. It was humbling to sound like a bad 4th grader again but things have come along very nicely. I credit Stamps and the Thompson Buzzing Book with doing great things for my ear and sound. I definitely sound better than I ever did in high school (though my "skill set" and range were far better then). I've determined to just let the range come as I continue to work Stamps and Thompson. I had started doing BE but once I got into the Stamp method, I quit the "smashed mouth" approach (I know that's not fair to BE but it certainly was a tendency of mine with BE). Exercise 6 is still a little challenge for me - I occasionally get through it in one sitting with no breaks but it is certainly a challenge for me. It has helped my endurance a lot, though.

Anyhow, I'm doing Stamp with the CD - I ALWAYS play along in order to keep working on my pitch and playing a "centered" tone on every note.

Jim
Jim-Wilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

I forgot to mention in my last post that I visited your website. It is awesome and you sound great. Your pedal tones actually sound very good to me - I'm getting better but they're still somewhat weak. Hearing the exercises "played" by someone as good as you gives me something to shoot for.

I very much appreciate all the effort you have put into your site. It is obviously a "labor of love".

My wife and I will be in Italy for the first time in April. We have friends that live in Tollegno (Italian husband/American wife - my wife met them in Cameroon in the early '70's). Anyhow, we're looking forward to seeing some of Italy.

Good luck with all your musical (and career) endeavors as well as your wonderful website.

Jim
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for your appreciation! I was afrai my pedal were somewhat "strange" sounding!

Tollegno in not very far from where I live!

Have a nice trip! (now it's snowing A LOT!!!)

AYates
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have really enjoyed doing my Stamp with the CDs. Having the chord structure and the melody line to guide intonation adds a good deal of benefit. I use pages 10-11, all done consecutively, as a strength training exercise.

AY
MonkeRules
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there some changes in this new edition beside the cd? New exercises, new text, new pictures??
Bach Strad 25G L Bb
Bach Strad 25-H-229 C
Selmer Picc.
Selmer D/Eb
B&S Eb 4-valves
B&S Cornett Challenger I
Josef Monke Cornett
Yamaha Z-Flugelhorn
Miraphone Bb
dambly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is new introductory text by Thomas Stevens. There are no new pictures from the previous edition.

There are no new exercises from previous editions, but there were 3 lines added to Exercise 3a, (at the bottom of page 12, CD track #32) that ascend to the fifth of the chord, to fill in the "gap" between exercises that existed in previous editions.

I just received new copies of the second printing directly from BIM. The misprints on pages 5, 7, and 12 have been corrected.

The electronic accompaniment CDs were produced with headphones (or earbuds) in mind, so that you can easily hear the treble and bass accompaniment lines while playing along, and so that the electronic "trumpet" line will be covered up if you are playing in tune.

Best Regards,

-Tom
sdgtpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anrapa wrote:
Thanx for your appreciation! I was afrai my pedal were somewhat "strange" sounding!

Tollegno in not very far from where I live!

Have a nice trip! (now it's snowing A LOT!!!)

Just checking out your website, and it seems like you've kind of skipped over a few things re: the stamp studies.

1) You don't have to play from line to line to line with only a breath in between. Feel free to take a minute or two in between each line.

2) I'd challenge you to play across the line with a true connection of sound from one note to the next.

3) check your intervals with a tuner

4) maybe a little less vibrato, work to create stability in the sound, check that you aren't sharp on the half notes.
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all the advice!

About the "line to line to line": it's just because I need to have it played in one single file (normally I take rests as needed)

2) I got the point (I have to smooth the edges between the notes, right?)
3) You are again right: I particularly have problems with pedal C, B and Bb
4) I never thought about that and... I think I'll try to record everything again today!

Thanx for writing!!!

Tony

sdgtpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you are posting your performances online.... people will listen and have opinions...

It's great you are creating something online for students to listen. Also, use it as a way to monitor your individual progress, maybe update the recordings once a month and compare... then post "your best". It'd be interested to see how the site evolves after a year of 'performing for the world'
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth I was having great motivational problems 3 months ago, it was 4 months since I came back playing trumpet after a 5 years stop due to my job.

I just couldn't find the way to get better day by day because now I live in a different city and I don't know anyone.
So I started recording myself to "challenge" myself... After a couple of recordings I thought about the almost complete lack of a teacher in my music life. I then decided that I could merge the two things allowing people trom all over the world to hear (my) interpretation of the exercises.

In fact I have tons of books I hardly tried to read.

It was a waste of money and opportunity.
I don't want to be a model for trumpet students (I'm not a teacher and I have no degree) but a way to help people who cannot afford a proper teacher.

In the past 3 months I have recorded 500 exercises (now almost 30 a day) and my range has gained 3 tones (up to double Bb). My accuracy is at its best and endurance..... oh.... I've played more than 8 hours several days!!!

Now I'm in the process of listening to my entire collection. I'm puttin "stars" to each exercise (1 to 5) and I've already rerecorded 10 exercises of Kopprasch! You can't imagine how better they are now!!!

I can't wait to hear what it will be in one year!!!!

Thanx for your support!!!

chiefsfano1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those CD's are awesome. My teacher has had me on it for 6(?) months now and I can feel myself freeing up my playing each time. Of course it's the exercises not the CD, but the CD helps me to go to the ends of phrases on the exercises. It's wonderful!
hammmondbrass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if there are CDs for the Stamp book in Eb or D trumpet? I've been using the Thompson book for some time and was wondering if the same were true for that book. I suppose I could find a computer program to speed it up, but that might prove difficult.

I just thought of all my horns that I wish I could work on centering and aural development, it would be my small horns. (I've been playing the first couple of Thompson "buzzing book" on my Bb side of my picc with some success).

Thanks,

Kris
clymernyc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...i might have to get this for the cds. stamps is great and i kinda stopped doing them the last 2 yrs. time to get it back.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ripped the CD to my computer and setup three playlists in my music player. Playlist #1 is the lip and mouthpiece buzzing exercises, #2 is the horn exercises, and #3 is Exercise 6. This is an easy way to organize the tracks for your warm-up session and can be played with or without headphones.

Has anyone written out Exercise 6 with all the keys? How would I go about doing that?

Kent

Last edited by oxleyk on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpetrich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent,

Exercise 6 is more an study of playing in a given key rather than a scale per se. The basic idea is to use the notes on the page and place the key signature at the beginning of each line. This way you end up freeing yourself from the "scale always starts on the tonic" mentality.

Rich
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so rather than moving the entire #6 pattern up or down to a different key, start at the beginning and add a different key signature? That first note is G but becomes G# or Gb depending on the key. Is that what you're saying?

Kent
trumpetrich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

From what I understand Stamp would just assign a scale and expect the student to practice the "exercise" pattern starting on each scale degree from the bottom of the range to as high as he/she could go keeping the correct airflow and intonation.

While he may have sketched-out the pattern for #6 on manuscript, the published book as we know it today didn't exist until about the last seven years of Stamp's life. Most of the prescribed exercises were given in the lesson and expected to be learned and played from memory.

Anyone who actually studied with Jimmy want to clarify?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: